Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shimmy and Caster

Fresh Catch
    Just had the stealership replace the Steering stabilizer on my Rubi to the new updated one and for now the steering wobble (NOT death wobble) is fixed. Still have the wondering on the road at highway speeds so maybe taking it back in for that. I'm considering installing the Dynatrac 2" lift since some have said that the highway handling was much improved and the looks are great too.

Duke

Any updates on the shimmy. I had it, put on the Teraflex adjustable steering stabilizer, steersmarts drag link and trac bar (had them on my JK previously and liked them), drove great, teraflex stabilizer broke (twice, not happy about that) replaced it with the metalcloak one I had laying around from their relocation kit, shimmy is back when hitting bumps. Only thing that I can think of left to replace is the tie rod. Any other ideas? Tires were also road force balanced. Had 37" Cooper ST Maxx on stock whells and didn't have the issues. It seems to have started when I installed the beadlocks and Pros.
    Metalcloak 3 1/2" lift
    Dirty Life beadlocks
    37 x 13.5 x 17 Cooper STT Pros
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    3 1/2" Metalcloak Lift
    37x13.5x17 Cooper STT Pro
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by ckor View Post
    Any updates on the shimmy. I had it, put on the Teraflex adjustable steering stabilizer, steersmarts drag link and trac bar (had them on my JK previously and liked them), drove great, teraflex stabilizer broke (twice, not happy about that) replaced it with the metalcloak one I had laying around from their relocation kit, shimmy is back when hitting bumps. Only thing that I can think of left to replace is the tie rod. Any other ideas? Tires were also road force balanced. Had 37" Cooper ST Maxx on stock whells and didn't have the issues. It seems to have started when I installed the beadlocks and Pros.
    Metalcloak 3 1/2" lift
    Dirty Life beadlocks
    I've tested and personally run a myriad of TeraFlex products and have found the quality control to be sub par. Needless to say, not surprised to hear you've been having problems with the stabilizer that you bought. Personally, I would recommend that you reinstall your OE stabilizer as that would be a BETTER option. From there, what I can tell you is that I've tested a couple different track bars and found the one made by Rancho helped to bring things under control quite a bit. But, before you spend anymore money on anything, I would highly recommend that you check all your joints using the following video as a guide.

Double check your toe-in setting as that can make a difference too.

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ckor View Post
    Metalcloak 3 1/2" lift
    Dirty Life beadlocks
    Does this feel like bump steer or an actual wobble?

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks for the quick response Eddie, much appreciated. I'll take a look at the OEM stabilizer, not sure if I threw it out when I replaced it early on (dented it). If I have it I'll throw it back on. Do you think there might be an issue with the relocation kits as well?
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    3 1/2" Metalcloak Lift
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    Does this feel like bump steer or an actual wobble?

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    When I hit a bump the steering wheel shakes for a second. Not death wobble, I've had that before, thinking shimmy but could be wrong. I'll also retorque everything to be sure.
    2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
    3 1/2" Metalcloak Lift
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    Hey yall. I just had a shop add the control arms from the mopar 2 lift to my 2 budget boost on 33s. Im getting a shake on the highway above 70, like an out of balance tire that wasnt there before. Im 99% sure they didnt torque the arms on the ground, but on the lift. Could bound (and over-torqued) control arms cause this, or maybe the added caster is showing another issue like out of balance tires or the toe is off?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12