Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.5 lift really rough.

Fresh Catch

2.5 lift really rough.

I bought a 2.5 Rock Krawler X series flex lift and 2.1 falcon shocks. I am also running 315 70 17 Cooper stt pros that are E rated. I thought this would be a really good smooth ride but I have been pretty disappointed. I know the E range tires would be a bit rougher and I even went down to 24 psi. But even the 1st week with the stock wheels this was a rough ride. My ass end feels like its coming off the ground on the highway on just the smallest bumps. My question is should I try replacing the springs or the shocks 1st? I have spent alot of money already so I am not trying to buy another complete kit if I dont have to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Lot of people complain about those shocks being stiff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    What shocks would you suggest to smooth it out?

Iím running the exact same lift but went with the Evo shock extensions to retain the factory Rubicon shocks.

With that set up and my stock tires, I felt the suspension the same if not a tad bit stiffer than my factory Rubicon suspension.

Nothing compared to what you are mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

2.5 lift really rough.

Are you running the shocks that came with the lift? Typically the shocks are engineered to work in harmony with your lift. When you mix or match or run a lift from a mfg that doesnít have matching shocks, itís a matter of trial and error until you find a combination that works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by darrenroos View Post
    Are you running the shocks that came with the lift? Typically the shocks are engineered to work in harmony with your lift. When you mix or match or run a lift from a mfg that doesn’t have matching shocks, it’s a matter of trial and error until you find a combination that works for you.
    First off, Falcon is made by TeraFlex and so I seriously doubt that they came with the Rock Krawler lift. Second, it is unfortunate but nothing could be further from the truth when it comes to manufacturers making their lifts to work in harmony with the shocks they include. Companies like Dynatrac and EVO make a special effort to do this but most companies just make suspension kits and offer off the shelf shocks that will work with it. Granted, there's nothing wrong with this as for the most part, most shocks will get the job done well or at least, well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackScout13 View Post
    I bought a 2.5 Rock Krawler X series flex lift and 2.1 falcon shocks. I am also running 315 70 17 Cooper stt pros that are E rated. I thought this would be a really good smooth ride but I have been pretty disappointed. I know the E range tires would be a bit rougher and I even went down to 24 psi. But even the 1st week with the stock wheels this was a rough ride. My ass end feels like its coming off the ground on the highway on just the smallest bumps. My question is should I try replacing the springs or the shocks 1st? I have spent alot of money already so I am not trying to buy another complete kit if I dont have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by olram30 View Post
    What olram30 said. Much like the Elka shocks TeraFlex used to push before, their Falcons seem to be tuned to run on the stiff side. And, that maybe good for taking big hits but for daily driving, that can give you a shitty ride. While coils do make up a bulk of ride quality, if I could guess, a lot of what you're feeling is most likely coming from your shocks.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What olram30 said. Much like the Elka shocks TeraFlex used to push before, their Falcons seem to be tuned to run on the stiff side. And, that maybe good for taking big hits but for daily driving, that can give you a shitty ride. While coils do make up a bulk of ride quality, if I could guess, a lot of what you're feeling is most likely coming from your shocks.
    Is there a shock you would suggest to try?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackScout13 View Post
    Is there a shock you would suggest to try?
    Being that you've already wasted your money on expensive shocks that you're aren't happy with, I personally would give a set of Rancho 9000's a try. They may not be the sexiest shock around but they are affordable and even better, they're adjustable so you can set them to whatever will help make your ride better. So long as your coils are't stiff as hell, most people I know are able to find a setting that they like with 9000's.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast