Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 lift really rough.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenroos View Post
    but doesnít it make sense that a lift kit designer that is including shocks in their kit would take for example, a Fox, King, or even Rancho shock to compare and see which one compliments their kit the best? Maybe not. I have seen them advertise that they do but maybe I give them too much credit.
    Unfortunately, most companies aren't interested in being the best. Most are worried bout being profitable. There's nothing wrong with being profitable, bit by taking something "proven" off the shelf, they incur zero R&D expenses and rely on the reputation of the product, instead of the performance.

A lot of folks get bent out of shape when certain brands are suggested and others are shot down, but the scenario Eddie outlined regarding the testing companies like Dynatrac & EVO perform is indicative of why they are at the head of the class as far as products go. Too bad some of these other companies don't spend as much time testing and fine tuning their products instead of making a bunch of videos on Youtube & IG

Quote Originally Posted by darrenroos View Post
    Thatís too bad. Iíve spent 1/2 of my career in manufacturing and if that was the way we did business we wouldnít last a year. Maybe I should start designing and building lift kits. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Sounds like you got this all figured out.

2012 Jeep Jk
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    I should note that if you don't like the red boots, you can always cut them off. That's what I did and that helped make them look a lot better.

That is a great idea. I donít mind the look of the red boots. But I do hate they are the hard plastic which scratches the paint off the shock and causes them to rust terribly up here during salt season.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    Sounds like you got this all figured out.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions.

2.5 lift really rough.

Being that you've already wasted your money on expensive shocks that you're aren't happy with, I personally would give a set of Rancho 9000's a try. They may not be the sexiest shock around but they are affordable and even better, they're adjustable so you can set them to whatever will help make your ride better. So long as your coils are't stiff as hell, most people I know are able to find a setting that they like with 9000's.

Years ago I shared this magazineís shock test with our Rancho rep (who was unaware of the article) on the Wayalife forum. I donít know if these RS9000XL are the same model Eddie writes about, but this Rancho shock would be my go to choice if I didnít run EVO specíd Kings. In fact my Ford Super Duty comes with Ranchos from the factory (probably a seriously watered down version) and they do a really nice job.

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

Edit: yes itís from Overland Journal, I personally know one of the testers, Ned Bacon (there are few more credible than him) and their side comments in the article speak to just what Eddie is imparting about engineering.
    Last edited by GCM 2.0; 01-11-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Sorry to jump in on this. I finally received my JLU and still looking at lifts and so I have a vested interest in this topic.

There was a mention that certain coils have tendencies to ďbend and bowĒ. Iíve seen that several after market coils have correction pads to reduce the spring bow. Does EVO coils have a need for these pads? Also is there a true need to replace the steering stabilizer? Rockkrawler and others offer them as part of their kits.

Also has anyone had problems with the sway bar extensions and links being in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart22 View Post
    There was a mention that certain coils have tendencies to ďbend and bowĒ. Iíve seen that several after market coils have correction pads to reduce the spring bow. Does EVO coils have a need for these pads?
    Not that I have seen.

Also is there a true need to replace the steering stabilizer? Rockkrawler and others offer them as part of their kits.
    No. In fact, I have found that the OE steering stabilizer works better than some aftermarket ones.

Also has anyone had problems with the sway bar extensions and links being in the way?
    They would only be in the way if you are running factory wheels without any wheel spacers or new wheels with too much back spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by GCM 2.0 View Post
    Years ago I shared this magazineís shock test with our Rancho rep (who was unaware of the article) on the Wayalife forum. I donít know if these RS9000XL are the same model Eddie writes about, but this Rancho shock would be my go to choice if I didnít run EVO specíd Kings. In fact my Ford Super Duty comes with Ranchos from the factory (probably a seriously watered down version) and they do a really nice job.

Edit: yes itís from Overland Journal, I personally know one of the testers, Ned Bacon (there are few more credible than him) and their side comments in the article speak to just what Eddie is imparting about engineering.
    LOL!! Awesome article and love the fact that you subscribe to the Overland Journal

Not that I have seen.

No. In fact, I have found that the OE steering stabilizer works better than some aftermarket ones.

They would only be in the way if you are running factory wheels without any wheel spacers or new wheels with too much back spacing.
    Thanks Eddie!! Great info. As Iím leaning where to spend limited money, Would you recommend running factory wheels (33Ē KO2) with an EVO lift for a limited time or wait for wheels and tires and set them all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart22 View Post
    Thanks Eddie!! Great info. As Iím leaning where to spend limited money, Would you recommend running factory wheels (33Ē KO2) with an EVO lift for a limited time or wait for wheels and tires and set them all at once.
    Which EVO lift are you wanting to run?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast