2.5 lift really rough.

ddays v2

but doesn’t it make sense that a lift kit designer that is including shocks in their kit would take for example, a Fox, King, or even Rancho shock to compare and see which one compliments their kit the best? Maybe not. I have seen them advertise that they do but maybe I give them too much credit.

Unfortunately, most companies aren't interested in being the best. Most are worried bout being profitable. There's nothing wrong with being profitable, bit by taking something "proven" off the shelf, they incur zero R&D expenses and rely on the reputation of the product, instead of the performance.

A lot of folks get bent out of shape when certain brands are suggested and others are shot down, but the scenario Eddie outlined regarding the testing companies like Dynatrac & EVO perform is indicative of why they are at the head of the class as far as products go. Too bad some of these other companies don't spend as much time testing and fine tuning their products instead of making a bunch of videos on Youtube & IG :(

WiscoHR

I should note that if you don't like the red boots, you can always cut them off. That's what I did and that helped make them look a lot better.

20181228143316-9a199bb6-me.jpg

That is a great idea. I don’t mind the look of the red boots. But I do hate they are the hard plastic which scratches the paint off the shock and causes them to rust terribly up here during salt season.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

GCM 2.0

Being that you've already wasted your money on expensive shocks that you're aren't happy with, I personally would give a set of Rancho 9000's a try. They may not be the sexiest shock around but they are affordable and even better, they're adjustable so you can set them to whatever will help make your ride better. So long as your coils are't stiff as hell, most people I know are able to find a setting that they like with 9000's.

Years ago I shared this magazine’s shock test with our Rancho rep (who was unaware of the article) on the Wayalife forum. I don’t know if these RS9000XL are the same model Eddie writes about, but this Rancho shock would be my go to choice if I didn’t run EVO spec’d Kings. In fact my Ford Super Duty comes with Ranchos from the factory (probably a seriously watered down version) and they do a really nice job.

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

Edit: yes it’s from Overland Journal, I personally know one of the testers, Ned Bacon (there are few more credible than him) and their side comments in the article speak to just what Eddie is imparting about engineering.

Last edited:

Rampart22

Sorry to jump in on this. I finally received my JLU and still looking at lifts and so I have a vested interest in this topic.

There was a mention that certain coils have tendencies to “bend and bow”. I’ve seen that several after market coils have correction pads to reduce the spring bow. Does EVO coils have a need for these pads? Also is there a true need to replace the steering stabilizer? Rockkrawler and others offer them as part of their kits.

Also has anyone had problems with the sway bar extensions and links being in the way?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There was a mention that certain coils have tendencies to “bend and bow”. I’ve seen that several after market coils have correction pads to reduce the spring bow. Does EVO coils have a need for these pads?

Not that I have seen.

Also is there a true need to replace the steering stabilizer? Rockkrawler and others offer them as part of their kits.

No. In fact, I have found that the OE steering stabilizer works better than some aftermarket ones.

Also has anyone had problems with the sway bar extensions and links being in the way?

They would only be in the way if you are running factory wheels without any wheel spacers or new wheels with too much back spacing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago I shared this magazine’s shock test with our Rancho rep (who was unaware of the article) on the Wayalife forum. I don’t know if these RS9000XL are the same model Eddie writes about, but this Rancho shock would be my go to choice if I didn’t run EVO spec’d Kings. In fact my Ford Super Duty comes with Ranchos from the factory (probably a seriously watered down version) and they do a really nice job.

Edit: yes it’s from Overland Journal, I personally know one of the testers, Ned Bacon (there are few more credible than him) and their side comments in the article speak to just what Eddie is imparting about engineering.

LOL!! Awesome article and love the fact that you subscribe to the Overland Journal :D

Rampart22

Not that I have seen.

No. In fact, I have found that the OE steering stabilizer works better than some aftermarket ones.

They would only be in the way if you are running factory wheels without any wheel spacers or new wheels with too much back spacing.

Thanks Eddie!! Great info. As I’m leaning where to spend limited money, Would you recommend running factory wheels (33” KO2) with an EVO lift for a limited time or wait for wheels and tires and set them all at once.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie!! Great info. As I’m leaning where to spend limited money, Would you recommend running factory wheels (33” KO2) with an EVO lift for a limited time or wait for wheels and tires and set them all at once.

Which EVO lift are you wanting to run?

GCM 2.0

LOL!! Awesome article and love the fact that you subscribe to the Overland Journal :D

I love “bleed-over” technology from different facets of Motorsports and I have been a subscriber from the beginnings of that magazine, I know most of the crew that puts it together, they’re here in AZ. But I am first and foremost a “go-fast” kind of vehicle guy.

Do you not remember taking this photo of me and Mel at KOH? Overland Journal as part of the race plan might be why we were really bad that year??

IMG_0888.JPG

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love “bleed-over” technology from different facets of Motorsports and I have been a subscriber from the beginnings of that magazine, I know most of the crew that puts it together, they’re here in AZ. But I am first and foremost a “go-fast” kind of vehicle guy.

Do you not remember taking this photo of me and Mel at KOH? Overland Journal as part of the race plan might be why we were really bad that year??

LOL - oh yeah, how could I forget that shot! :cheesy:

I’m looking at the 2.5 enforcer stage 2

I think it might look a little funny but I think you'd be fine running stock 33's with that setup.