JL JOURNAL : Axle Differential Fluid Change - How to do it Yourself

LauraRose

Not really. The ones most people run are not DOT approved.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

:thinking: HMMM, I wasn't aware of that. I have been wondering whether anyone ever gets pulled over for running them, or cited for it after being pulled over for something else. I'm tempted to get a set and just keep a monthly torque log in my glove box. Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you run beadlocks? Thanks for your input!

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
:thinking: HMMM, I wasn't aware of that. I have been wondering whether anyone ever gets pulled over for running them, or cited for it after being pulled over for something else. I'm tempted to get a set and just keep a monthly torque log in my glove box. Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you run beadlocks? Thanks for your input!

Torque log for what? I’ve been running them for years with no issues.

CalSgt

I don't know about Pennsylvania, but the CHP would not care if you kept a maintenance log... If they are going to write you the ticket for beadlocks, then they write the ticket.

I think the fashion trend with most aftermarket wheels having the fake bolts on them has desensitized cops (all people) to the appearance of beadlocks, most people couldn't tell you if they are real or not.

It's a gamble...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At least you guys in CA can legally run beadlocks on the road, Stupid Pennsylvania...lol

Laura Rose from PA

As mentioned, I don't think a vast majority of beadlocks are technically legal anywhere. There are only a couple that I know of that are DOT approved.

LauraRose

I don't know about Pennsylvania, but the CHP would not care if you kept a maintenance log... If they are going to write you the ticket for beadlocks, then they write the ticket.

I think the fashion trend with most aftermarket wheels having the fake bolts on them has desensitized cops (all people) to the appearance of beadlocks, most people couldn't tell you if they are real or not.

It's a gamble...

As mentioned, I don't think a vast majority of beadlocks are technically legal anywhere. There are only a couple that I know of that are DOT approved.

I read somewhere online that if you are involved in an accident and it is discovered that there was a ring failure, a torque log MIGHT save your ass. But I guess if beadlocks aren't legal, the torque log would only be good for wiping your ass... :(

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read somewhere online that if you are involved in an accident and it is discovered that there was a ring failure, a torque log MIGHT save your ass. But I guess if beadlocks aren't legal, the torque log would only be good for wiping your ass... :(

Back in the day, beadlocks were a lot riskier but on most newer beadlocks, a ring failure is pretty unlikely but always possible.

LauraRose

It's a gamble...

Back in the day, beadlocks were a lot riskier but on most newer beadlocks, a ring failure is pretty unlikely but always possible.

Noted...thanks guys for the info :thumb:

CalSgt

Decided to get the spicer iron diff covers & do a fluid change... probably early for the fluid change but the ring & pinion on both ends looked basically broke in.

I did have a piece of steel stuck on the drain plug in the front, I panicked for a second. It was a rolled up thin piece of steel like what a drill bit or mill would produce. It must have been from the diff housing being machined at the factory... I wouldn't have thought to even look if Eddie's video hadn't covered the topic because I didn't remove the drain plug. Thanks for the tip Eddie!

I had a post with some how to questions all ready to go then remembered to search first & found this write up that answered them all https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/7626-Heavy-Duty-Axle-Differential-Cover-Installation-Write-Up?highlight=differential+cover

I struggled getting the fluid in the front diff with the drag link in the way, I was able to jack up the frame on the drivers side a bit and that moved it out of the way enough to get the bottle through the fill hole.

IMG_2661.jpg

ETA: Oh yeah... you can see the EVO Protek skid in this picture too. Big thanks to Bubba and Bethany at Exodus Jeeps for the good deal, fast shipping, and great customer service!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to get the spicer iron diff covers & do a fluid change... probably early for the fluid change but the ring & pinion on both ends looked basically broke in.

I did have a piece of steel stuck on the drain plug in the front, I panicked for a second. It was a rolled up thin piece of steel like what a drill bit or mill would produce. It must have been from the diff housing being machined at the factory... I wouldn't have thought to even look if Eddie's video hadn't covered the topic because I didn't remove the drain plug. Thanks for the tip Eddie!

I had a post with some how to questions all ready to go then remembered to search first & found this write up that answered them all https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/7626-Heavy-Duty-Axle-Differential-Cover-Installation-Write-Up?highlight=differential+cover

I struggled getting the fluid in the front diff with the drag link in the way, I was able to jack up the frame on the drivers side a bit and that moved it out of the way enough to get the bottle through the fill hole.

ETA: Oh yeah... you can see the EVO Protek skid in this picture too. Big thanks to Bubba and Bethany at Exodus Jeeps for the good deal, fast shipping, and great customer service!

Lookin good and glad that we were able to help out! :thumb: