Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JL JOURNAL : Axle Differential Fluid Change - How to do it Yourself

Decided to get the spicer iron diff covers & do a fluid change... probably early for the fluid change but the ring & pinion on both ends looked basically broke in.

I did have a piece of steel stuck on the drain plug in the front, I panicked for a second. It was a rolled up thin piece of steel like what a drill bit or mill would produce. It must have been from the diff housing being machined at the factory... I wouldn't have thought to even look if Eddie's video hadn't covered the topic because I didn't remove the drain plug. Thanks for the tip Eddie!

I had a post with some how to questions all ready to go then remembered to search first & found this write up that answered them all https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...erential+cover

I struggled getting the fluid in the front diff with the drag link in the way, I was able to jack up the frame on the drivers side a bit and that moved it out of the way enough to get the bottle through the fill hole.

IMG_2661.jpg

ETA: Oh yeah... you can see the EVO Protek skid in this picture too. Big thanks to Bubba and Bethany at Exodus Jeeps for the good deal, fast shipping, and great customer service!
    Last edited by CalSgt; 01-27-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalSgt View Post
    Decided to get the spicer iron diff covers & do a fluid change... probably early for the fluid change but the ring & pinion on both ends looked basically broke in.

I did have a piece of steel stuck on the drain plug in the front, I panicked for a second. It was a rolled up thin piece of steel like what a drill bit or mill would produce. It must have been from the diff housing being machined at the factory... I wouldn't have thought to even look if Eddie's video hadn't covered the topic because I didn't remove the drain plug. Thanks for the tip Eddie!

I had a post with some how to questions all ready to go then remembered to search first & found this write up that answered them all https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...erential+cover

I struggled getting the fluid in the front diff with the drag link in the way, I was able to jack up the frame on the drivers side a bit and that moved it out of the way enough to get the bottle through the fill hole.

ETA: Oh yeah... you can see the EVO Protek skid in this picture too. Big thanks to Bubba and Bethany at Exodus Jeeps for the good deal, fast shipping, and great customer service!
    Lookin good and glad that we were able to help out!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234