Stuck in mud hole

Viper

My Jeep - JL 2018 Sport S with 33 inch BF Goodrich A/T K02 (same as rubicon stock tire), barricade trail force bumper with LED lights, and warn vr8 winch (8000 lbs)

At the Mounds ORV park in Michigan. We had been going through these mud/water holes all day and none of them were more than a foot deep. Guess you could say I got a little over confident. I would say this is about 2.5 feet deep. We got stuck in the mud and the layer of ice on the surface. I opened the door to check the water level and it was even with the door sill. I had to climb around the side of the Jeep onto the back bumper, throw the d rings and tree saver strap onto dry land, and grab the winch control. I then climbed back across the side onto the front bumper and plugged in the controller, handed it to my friend who had taken over in the driver's seat, and set the winch to free spool. At this point I slipped and fell into the ice mud water and quickly grabbed the winch line and ran out. Once on land I quickly pulled the line to the nearest large tree, however before hooking it up with the d ring and strap I began to shake and feel nauseous. I ran back to the Jeep and asked my friend to toss me his shoes, as my boots were pools of ice water. He did and I warmed up enough after that. I hooked the winch up but then realized before he could winch the car out, the winch had to be set to engage. So my friend climbed onto the hood and fender in his socks, and engaged the winch. It took us about 15 minutes to winch out, I had to keep clearing ice from the front of the Jeep as it was piling up in front. About halfway through I asked him to give it some gas to clear the ice from the tires, and he did but the wheels didn't move. I was confused because I didn't think we were that stuck. Apparently, we had been winching the Jeep in park. Lovely. Once he put it in drive everything went much smoother. Thankfully there was no damage besides a bent brush gaurd which is a $14 replacement from Mopar. 20181226_121825.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Holy fuck. Sounds like you're lucky to be alive. Do you carry some sort of blanket or cold weather gear in case you ended up being colder longer?

wibornz

There are plenty of water holes at the Mounds ORV park that are deeper than 2 feet. Be careful out there.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Glad your out ok. Rausch creek has many mud holes like that and even some deeper. I avoid them like the plague just for reasons like this in the winter

ddays v2

Glad your out ok. Rausch creek has many mud holes like that and even some deeper. I avoid them like the plague just for reasons like this in the winter

Hmmmm, I'm thinking there are photos of a winter pond crossing somewhere out there ;)

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hmmmm, I'm thinking there are photos of a winter pond crossing somewhere out there ;)

It’s funny that you say that cause there really is lol. Back when hinrich had a 2 door and knuckles was on 35’s. That was 5 yrs ago [emoji79]
IMG_9932.JPG
IMG_9933.JPG
IMG_9934.JPG
IMG_9935.JPG

Last edited: