Best mod for Moab

tyler2786

So the Navy is moving us from the WA to VA, so we're planning 3 days in Moab on the way! I grew up with jeeps, but on the east coast, so slick rock and steps are new to me.

I've got a 2018 JLUR that is stock with a winch and was curious if there was anything that would be worth adding before the trip. I plan for 35s and a lift once the current tires run out, but any single mod that would make the trip more fun?
Tazor JL?
2" budget boost?
Skids?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be with my wife and 3 and 1 year olds, so any trail recommendations are also also appreciated!20180916_112506.jpeg20181227_154149.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Welcome to JLWrangler! That's one hell of a nice looking Jeep. Although I'm not saying it is the most "fun" mod, it is a very functional mod... You will require recalibration for your 35s, and a Tazer JL sure would fit that bill.

Spack

Two years ago was my first trip to Moab and slickrock. Also my first experience really wheeling. I had my 10 and 6 year old with me and we did Fins N Things to start then drove over and did 7 Mile Rim. I had rented the Quadratec Jeep they built for EJS that year, no issues and I think it was on at least 35’s if not 37’s and a small lift. For what it’s worth, I now have my own JLUR and plan on driving my own very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

It looks like the lift/tires are down the road. You'll be fine with a stock Rubi. You've got a beefy bumper and winch, too, so I think you are very well equipped. I did all kinds of trails there in my 08 JK with 2" lift and 33's. The JL Rubi, stock, has better clearance than that JK. Use those lockers. That's what they are there for, and they are the single best thing to have, IMO. The swaybar disco helps, too. The stock skids are fine, too, unless you get crazy. Go look at what @kevin8086 did when his Rubi was new and stock. Before he got his metalcloak skids, he did everything he could to tear the guts out of that Jeep and the worst thing he did was mess up a drive shaft. I doubt you'll work that hard to hurt things. Those cross members will take the brunt and they are cheap and disposable, so if you crunch the hell out of them, no worries. Also, your KO2's will do well. I was very impressed with them and how they compared to the guys I was running with who had much more aggressive tires. They even held their own in the mud, which shocked me. I usually aired down to 20 and sometimes 15 psi.

I think you'll be blown away by what the stock JL Rubi can do, even when you aren't trying to push its limits.

You are going to have a great time there! Nice looking Jeep, btw. Love the Mojito!

My kids LOVED Fins N Things. It isn't too difficult, but the scenery and fins are great! There are a couple optional climbs, such as Kenny's Hill, that will get their hearts racing, but your Jeep won't really break a sweat. Hell's Revenge is fun, but I'd do it with another vehicle along. You can usually find someone in the parking lot to tag with, at least during certain times of year. There are lots of other trails with great scenery. I like Chicken Corners, too. Easy. Get the Moab trail book. I think the 3rd edition is the latest. You can get it on Amazon. Elephant Hill is great, too, but again, I'd go with a buddy. Potash Road and Shaffer Switchbacks are awesome and easy, too. There are lots of trails that I've not run that I'll leave to other guys here to describe and recommend.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In Moab, you'd be fine totally bone stock. See video below...

The additions you already have are bonuses.