Clas II hitch? Looks like a Class III to me!

RobynE

Hi, I have the factory installed tow package on my JLU Sahara but the window sticker says its a class II hitch, but it looks like a class III hitch. The MOPAR parts website also lists it as a Class II. I called the parts department where I bought the Jeep and they also said it looks like a Class III to them too. I also have a call into Jeep and they will get back to me next week with an answer. Class II hitches normally have a 1 1/4" receiver hole and the Class III has a 2". Mine has a 2" opening and the ball mount from my old Class III hitch fits it perfectly. Are they just calling it a class II hitch so we don't exceed the max tow weight of the Jeep itself? This is very frustrating because I'm about to buy a camper and I need a Class III hitch in order to use a Weight Distribution Hitch system.

Thanks,
Robyn

WWRuby_Svi

Typically class 3 use the 2” like you said but really it comes down to the tow rating and tongue weight. The wrangler tow and tongue weight are specified from Jeep as a class 2. The fact that it comes with a 2” receiver is a bonus since it works better with different hitch options, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RobynE

My issue is though a class II hitch has a 3500 max tow and only a 300 max tongue weight. Since the Jeep is rated 3500/350 wouldnt this have to be a Class III hitch? I need to use a weight distribution system to tow my trailer and I might even run slightly over up to 375 tongue weight (which is why I'm going to use the weight distribution hitch) so I really need this to be rated at a class III. I'm going to go inspect the hitch for the 3rd time to see if I can find any stamping on the hitch. Hopefully Jepp will call me back soon with their take on it.

WWRuby_Svi

I guess you could call it what ever class you want but those are the ratings regardless of what class2/3 would be. I do see on Quadratecs site they have a Curt receiver and it’s a class 3 but still has the 3500/350 weight rating. I think usually the class rating would define the weight limits but the wrangler is a unique vehicle and never has had the higher ratings a truck or traditional suv would get.

Sounds like this may be a good excuse to look into the Gladiator when it comes out.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I guess you could call it what ever class you want but those are the ratings regardless of what class2/3 would be. I do see on Quadratecs site they have a Curt receiver and it’s a class 3 but still has the 3500/350 weight rating. I think usually the class rating would define the weight limits but the wrangler is a unique vehicle and never has had the higher ratings a truck or traditional suv would get.

Sounds like this may be a good excuse to look into the Gladiator when it comes out.

Lol exactly. My mini van is a Jeep cause it has the same motor.