Using stock Rubicon rims on 37s

JeepGA

I've been leaning toward new wheels (wider than stock) for 37" tires. Stopped into my local 4x4 shop and they said I can definitely keep my stock rims and use spacers. Pointed out that they introduce the same stress as backspacing on wider rims.

Since they also push the mopar lift every time I see them, I'm questioning this logic. What say you?

Funny, cuz they seel wheels and I'm ready to buy.

Sent from my SM-T800 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, you can definitely run 37's on your factory wheels especially if you're just wanting a 12.50 width but you will need to run wheel spacers. As you were told, the spacers will effectively reduce the amount of back spacing you have and this will cause your ball joints and unit bearings to wear out faster. Not like they're going to blow the minute you put them on but they will need more frequent servicing.

NFRs2000NYC

Yup, you can definitely run 37's on your factory wheels especially if you're just wanting a 12.50 width but you will need to run wheel spacers. As you were told, the spacers will effectively reduce the amount of back spacing you have and this will cause your ball joints and unit bearings to wear out faster. Not like they're going to blow the minute you put them on but they will need more frequent servicing.

How often do you think you'd need to address a unit bearing with 37s on a 4.5bs wheel? Also, what are the signs of one going bad?

JeepGA

Thanks Eddie. I was told it would be the same wear as a wider wheel with equivalent backspacing. I may give this a try. I can always get new wheels and will keep the extra servicing in mind

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How often do you think you'd need to address a unit bearing with 37s on a 4.5bs wheel? Also, what are the signs of one going bad?

4.5" is what I'm running now and what I've been running for a while on my JK's. It's a lot more forgiving than the more popular 3.5" that so many people tend to run and from what I've seen, they'll allow for a lot longer service life on your components. When a unit bearing start to go bad, you might see it in the same way you would see bad ball joints. You could measure it with a dial indicator as well. Left unchecked long enough and you'll start to hear it.

Jeeeep

4.5" is what I'm running now and what I've been running for a while on my JK's. It's a lot more forgiving than the more popular 3.5" that so many people tend to run and from what I've seen, they'll allow for a lot longer service life on your components. When a unit bearing start to go bad, you might see it in the same way you would see bad ball joints. You could measure it with a dial indicator as well. Left unchecked long enough and you'll start to hear it.

I can add from my JK experience, I was replacing hubs about every 14 months with the ATX Chamber Pro @4.06" BS with BFG KO2 12.50x37

Since switching out to the KMC XD229 Machete @3.5" BS with Cooper STT Pro 13.50x37 I'm switching out hubs around every 6-8 months depending on how many wheeling trips I go on. Since I buy them at the same auto parts store, it's simple to look up and confirm the purchase dates. :doh: but they are covered under warranty so :thumb: just a pain to replace them so often.

I also feel the extra width of the 13.50" Cooper's create additional stress on the hubs especially as the tread begins to wear down and build up their own separate tracking characteristics.

From costly experience, don't put off checking the hubs along with everything else as part of maintenance. I'm pretty sure I've worn out ball joints prematurely by letting hubs get as bad as I have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can add from my JK experience, I was replacing hubs about every 14 months with the ATX Chamber Pro @4.06" BS with BFG KO2 12.50x37

Since switching out to the KMC XD229 Machete @3.5" BS with Cooper STT Pro 13.50x37 I'm switching out hubs around every 6-8 months depending on how many wheeling trips I go on. Since I buy them at the same auto parts store, it's simple to look up and confirm the purchase dates. :doh: but they are covered under warranty so :thumb: just a pain to replace them so often.

I also feel the extra width of the 13.50" Cooper's create additional stress on the hubs especially as the tread begins to wear down and build up their own separate tracking characteristics.

From costly experience, don't put off checking the hubs along with everything else as part of maintenance. I'm pretty sure I've worn out ball joints prematurely by letting hubs get as bad as I have.

Great info right there ^^^^^ :thumb:

StingRubi19

How are the ball joints and unit bearings fairing on your JL D44 Eddie? I know you and Mel have been putting lots of miles on your JL's with all your travels and wheeling trips, so just curious as to if they're holding up better than the JK's 44.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That’s some awesome info right there. Thanks!

Onlyone

I've been leaning toward new wheels (wider than stock) for 37" tires. Stopped into my local 4x4 shop and they said I can definitely keep my stock rims and use spacers. Pointed out that they introduce the same stress as backspacing on wider rims.

Since they also push the mopar lift every time I see them, I'm questioning this logic. What say you?

Funny, cuz they seel wheels and I'm ready to buy.

If you don’t mind turning your steering stops out, you can run 37’s without spacers just fine. You will lose a small amount of turning radius, but with wider axles on the Rubicon your radius is already super tight. I didn’t really notice it with mine. Just food for thought. Some people don’t care for the tucked in look.