Poor backup lighting

Toycrusher

Anyone upgraded their reverse lights? The rear camera is pretty good in the day but at night it's near useless. Just curious if there's something low-key out there that works with the stock wiring?

Thanks in advance

DavidDJL69

You may find yourself adding an aftermarket rear bumper like I did that accommodate Rigid lights in the rear. Not as dynamic as the light bar I have in my front aftermarket bumper, but it’s way better than stock. I don’t use them for backup lights though unless I really need them and I’m not going to burn someone’s retinas in the process!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

dixonk

Following this. Probably one of my biggest complaints about my Jeep is the lack of rear light. Not a lot of real estate to mount some flush mount LEDs either. I don’t want to mount under the bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - I dunno, I guess I'm just used to the crappy lights on the JK and not having any backup camera on them because the ones on the JL seem pretty damn good to me :crazyeyes:

dixonk

Umm, I just use my mirrors and back up[emoji848]

2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

If I did that I would have to ignore the thud of me running over my neighbors walking their dogs at 6pm when it’s already dark outside. Between the window tint, poor light, and dark street and driveway it is interesting backing out. I was very spoiled with my bright roof light on my Raptor.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Clearly, it's all a matter of where we came from. Me, it's been Jeeps forever and the back up LED lights on the JL are awesome. :yup:

Jeeeep

did you remove the plastic lining off the camera? mine had a clear plastic protector over the lens.

Other that that, I don't have the LED group and it lights up pretty good for me at night.

It's convinced me to add a back-up camera to the 2015 my daughter drives.

jeepin

I dont know if it is possible but on my JK I hacked up some of the internals of the rear lights and mounted some square driving lights in the place of the reverse lights(inside the housing). Wanting to do the same on my JL if possible.

JIMBOX

:D I just added a pair of HALOGEN lights for separate engagement at any time--

SUNP0091_zpsp1vjac3e.jpg

Plenty light for backup/trailer--etc

JIMBO

Toycrusher

I have the LED package and it's pretty weak. If we're being fair, it's an improvement over my TJ. This Jeep is mostly my wife's, and she doesn't like backing up in the first place, so better light is kind of necessary. I've been searching for a place to flush mount one but more and more I think I'm going to have to go with an above bumper mount like your photo. Does the tailgate hit it when open fully? Can you post a pic of how you have them mounted?

JIMBOX

:D This was an OLD set I had(8 years) of ULTIMA HALOGEN OFF-ROAD LIGHTS, I don't even know if they still make them, but there are MANY different HALOGEN LIGHT MFGS now--

I have the LED package and it's pretty weak. If we're being fair, it's an improvement over my TJ. This Jeep is mostly my wife's, and she doesn't like backing up in the first place, so better light is kind of necessary. I've been searching for a place to flush mount one but more and more I think I'm going to have to go with an above bumper mount like your photo. Does the tailgate hit it when open fully? Can you post a pic of how you have them mounted?

These came with full HARNESS/RELAY/FUSE and source wiring--the mounts are just adjustable (for vertical light display) and require drilling bumper/panel, wherever you want to mount them--attachment bolts/nuts provided--

Here's the only other pic I have of a closer view of the passenger side--plenty clearance of the tailgate--(same other side)-

SUNP0204_zpsrbicktt0.jpg

Good luck

:thumb: JIMBO

Toycrusher

Low light annoyed me enough. I went ahead and installed some rock lights through the rear bumper. They are quite bright and being under $20 on the slow boat from China... hard to pass up :D

I have to say I LOVE the built in accessory switches and the ease of configuring them through the Uconnect system. I hate tearing apart and hacking up a dash to mount switches and this was so convenient it felt like cheating.

20190317_194404B.jpg

20190317_194439B.jpg

VitaMeVas

Low light annoyed me enough. I went ahead and installed some rock lights through the rear bumper. They are quite bright and being under $20 on the slow boat from China... hard to pass up :D

I have to say I LOVE the built in accessory switches and the ease of configuring them through the Uconnect system. I hate tearing apart and hacking up a dash to mount switches and this was so convenient it felt like cheating.

View attachment 9714

View attachment 9713

Nice. What brand/model? Can u attach a link?