Throttle response / Revs hang when trying to upshift

Toycrusher

Couple weeks now with a 6-speed Rubicon and not at all thrilled with the fly-by-wire throttle response. I'm accustomed to a 5-speed 4.0 TJ and maybe that's a part of the problem. The TJ is 100% analog and can be driven blindfolded and with ear muffs. The vibrations through the wheel and shifter give you enough information to know exactly where the motor is at and how to up and down shift smoothly whether cruising or violently trying to merge on an expressway without being flattened by the Semi your trying to slot in front of...

This Pentastar drives me nuts. The throttle is on a rubber band, you have to play with the pedal and wait to figure out where your rpm is going to settle before letting out the clutch to leave from a light. Even worse, the throttle hangs hangs on upshifts, if you don't want to make your passengers look like bobble-heads, you have no choice but to let out the clutch super slowly to bring the motor down to engagement rpm, or wait what feels like a full second for the revs to drop so you can engage the next gear smoothly. It's fine on a "Sunday drive" if you have nowhere to be, but it's annoying in more spirited driving.

Has anyone found a "fix" for this? I can deal with the rubberband throttle on take-off but I'd sure love the revs to drop like they are supposed to when letting off the gas.

Thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Having owned a TJ, I know where you're coming from and the problem you're talking about was present with the JK. There are companies like Sprint Booster and the like that will allow you to modify the e-throttle and give you what you're wanting.

Toycrusher

So it's a bust :mad:

Pedal commander shortens the "throw" of the accelerator pedal. It has many settings but I only really liked "city -4" for just some real slight quickening of the throttle. However, for my actual complaint against the Jeep, delay between touching the accelerator and the engine accelerating, and my REAL BIG complaint against it, revs hang, it takes 2 seconds for rpm to fall 2,000 rpm, and that was not changed by the Pedal Commander regardless of setting.

It's annoying because you simply can't rush a shift. I can move from 1-2 or 2-3 within a second but then I have to count an extra Mississippi before releasing the clutch. Or I can speed shift anyway but the smell of burning clutch is annoying.

silverbullet88

So it's a bust :mad:

Pedal commander shortens the "throw" of the accelerator pedal. It has many settings but I only really liked "city -4" for just some real slight quickening of the throttle. However, for my actual complaint against the Jeep, delay between touching the accelerator and the engine accelerating, and my REAL BIG complaint against it, revs hang, it takes 2 seconds for rpm to fall 2,000 rpm, and that was not changed by the Pedal Commander regardless of setting.

It's annoying because you simply can't rush a shift. I can move from 1-2 or 2-3 within a second but then I have to count an extra Mississippi before releasing the clutch. Or I can speed shift anyway but the smell of burning clutch is annoying.

How many miles do you have on the Jeep? I know what you are talking about with the rev hang, especially when going over 3 or 4k rpms. I have 9500 miles now and the shifting feels a lot better. It feels like the hang isn’t as significant.

Part of it is probably me just getting used to it though.

Toycrusher

How many miles do you have on the Jeep? I know what you are talking about with the rev hang, especially when going over 3 or 4k rpms. I have 9500 miles now and the shifting feels a lot better. It feels like the hang isn’t as significant.

Part of it is probably me just getting used to it though.

Up to 14,000 miles now. I returned the pedal commander as it didn't help with the rev hang. I'm just adapting to be more patient shifting. It's tough when merging with freeway traffic :eek: