ESC Not Turning Off in Low Range

HiCenterd

Had a brief opportunity to play in low range today. I noticed that the ESC was still active when I was making turns in very loose gravel. Whether I was locked or not, I could still hear, and feel, the ABS going crazy. I tried to hold down the ESC button for 5 seconds as the manual states but all I would get is "traction control off". It's worth noting that I was in first gear letting the Jeep do all the work. I wasn't tromping on the gas or anything.

Is there another way to fully turn off the ESC or are we always going to hear the ABS when we get out on the trails? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!

13_gecko_rubi

Had a brief opportunity to play in low range today. I noticed that the ESC was still active when I was making turns in very loose gravel. Whether I was locked or not, I could still hear, and feel, the ABS going crazy. I tried to hold down the ESC button for 5 seconds as the manual states but all I would get is "traction control off". It's worth noting that I was in first gear letting the Jeep do all the work. I wasn't tromping on the gas or anything.

Is there another way to fully turn off the ESC or are we always going to hear the ABS when we get out on the trails? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you!
ESC is off in 4 low. If u heard it that was BLD kicking in trying to keep one of your tires from spinning to get traction.

Sent via....

HiCenterd

Yes that is what it is and yes you still have it in a Rubicon. But it shouldn't be acting up when the lockers are engaged as it wouldnt do anything. That's what Jeep was doing?

Sent via....
It was definitely making the typical ABS noises and I could feel it in the brake pedal. Maybe I'll have to go out again and make sure the front was actually locked. It seemed like it was as there was a lot of pull back on the steering wheel. Thanks for the info gecko. I'll post back up when I try it again.

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

It was definitely making the typical ABS noises and I could feel it in the brake pedal. Maybe I'll have to go out again and make sure the front was actually locked. It seemed like it was as there was a lot of pull back on the steering wheel. Thanks for the info gecko. I'll post back up when I try it again.

Ya let me know either way. It should be full off on it's own. Also make sure I n the left part of dash it is showing 4L. I'd think it has to be or lockers wouldn't work anyway.

Sent via....

HiCenterd

Went out for the day with some buddies. The BLD does continue to go off while fully locked. I don't understand why it would do that... I assume it senses wheel spin via the ABS sensors kind of like the traction control would? If the diff is locked, how would it see any difference in wheel speed from one side to another?

NFRs2000NYC

I believe the new software in the tazer allows you to turn off anything traction control off, but I will let them confirm.

HiCenterd

I'm still a little confused as to how the vehicle would even see slippage from side to side when the axle is locked, regardless of whether or not it can be turned off. On the same note, today I found myself going up a driveway that had ice on the right side and perfectly dry concrete on the left. It let me spin the right tire in two wheel drive all I wanted with no interference from the traction control whatsoever. This seems completely backwards. I guess the nerd in me just wants to see the logic behind what makes the Jeep decide to use the TC/ESC/BLD and when.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I'm still a little confused as to how the vehicle would even see slippage from side to side when the axle is locked, regardless of whether or not it can be turned off. On the same note, today I found myself going up a driveway that had ice on the right side and perfectly dry concrete on the left. It let me spin the right tire in two wheel drive all I wanted with no interference from the traction control whatsoever. This seems completely backwards. I guess the nerd in me just wants to see the logic behind what makes the Jeep decide to use the TC/ESC/BLD and when.

There would be less resistance on the right side which is why it spun

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app