Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 4:88s, not so popular, but gonna try it

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    What I LOVE about 5.13's on 37's is the power you get off the line. What I'm not so fond of is the loss in MPG. I spend a LOT of time on the road and typically at speeds of 80 MPH and I have seen a measurable reduction. The other thing I don't like about 5.13 is passing at high speeds. Sure, I can get 7th and 8th again but I can't get it to drop into 4th (even manually shifting it) where the real power is or at least, not unless I slow up to about 60-65 mph first. With 4.10's, you're always running in 5th and 6th and when you need the get up and go, the transmission will dig into 4th and get you moving.

Having seen a 5.38, there's no way I'd run them in a factory axle especially being so much of the wheeling that I do is so far from anything. Maybe if all I had to play in were parks and trailered my Jeep there.
    Good information. Itís nice to get that insight.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Caught the Bug
    How sweet of you

To be fair, my MPG isn't exactly horrible. It's just that I could easily average 14-16 mpg before and that's close to a 300 mile range! Now, I'm seeing more like 11-13 mpg which is more what I'm used to with 37's or at least, on a JK.
    I just did my first fill up with my 37ís and 5.13ís. 15.1 mpg by hand calculation. Tires and gears set by the tazer. I had done about 214 miles and the gas light wasnít on yet.

I do have the 6 speed and that was 90% city driving but I baby it and go the speed limit lol. If I were to drive up to Tahoe Iíd for sure be the 12 mpg range.

I also realized today I need an atlas or a rubi case. Even with the 5.13ís itís just not low enough.

Fresh Catch
    What would you guys regear to on a 6 speed?

Caught the Bug
    This is why I like this forum. I got more real world info on this topic than I could find looking anywhere else that's JL specific. We have to travel a lot of highway to get to our wheeling places, and we've been debating on 4.88 vs 5.13. Now I know that the 4.88s will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassjlu View Post
    This is why I like this forum. I got more real world info on this topic than I could find looking anywhere else that's JL specific. We have to travel a lot of highway to get to our wheeling places, and we've been debating on 4.88 vs 5.13. Now I know that the 4.88s will work great.
    With 37's and an 8-speed auto, I'd say it's a good compromise. You get more power but without too much of an mpg penalty.

Fresh Catch
    What size tires are you planning to run?
    Doh, haha sorry an incomplete thought. Eventually I am going to run 37ís, perhaps 38ís but no bigger, I am on 35ís now but want to take care of the regear first. I plan to put up with the overbearing until I get the new tires.

Quote Originally Posted by OBJLU View Post
    Doh, haha sorry an incomplete thought. Eventually I am going to run 37ís, perhaps 38ís but no bigger, I am on 35ís now but want to take care of the regear first. I plan to put up with the overbearing until I get the new tires.
    Okay, I suppose it depends on how much highway time you spend and whether or not you care about MPG. A 6-speed has lower gearing to begin with so even with 37's, I think you'd find 4.88 to be a good match for them especially being that it may take a bit to get there. 5.13's will give you more power off the line and a better crawl on the rocks but you will burn through gas at highway speeds.

4:88s, not so popular, but gonna try it

I donít have a JL yet but if you are only on 35ís I canít imagine a regear being worth it. Just save the cash until you get 37ís then do a regear.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Fresh Catch
    Following for future info.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast