Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4:88s, not so popular, but gonna try it

Been Around the Block GrayBeard's Avatar

4:88s, not so popular, but gonna try it

Well, after debating for several months and reading all the post for and against regearing for the JLUR with 37's, I've decided to pull the plug and buy a set of Spicer 4:88's. I also pull a 3000 lb trailer, plus normal off-roading gear at times.

I figured why not, somebody needs to try it and see if there is a noticeable difference and if so worth the cost.

Luckily, I have a friend at a dealership, who is able to give me a break on installation with cooperation from the dealership, in exchange for publicity for a very Jeep friendly dealership.

So, I'll let you know, what I think of the change.

Gears are shipped and scheduled to be arriving next week 🤞. I also ordered a Rancho Front Diff Skid Plate at Eddie's post recommendation, however they're listed as "Back Ordered".

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 37x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires.

Hooked
    i'll be interested in seeing how well the 4.88's work with the 8 speed

Me too !!!!

2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 37x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires.

Hmm, if I had to regear, Id probably go with 5.13 as 4.88 is too close to 4.10 but, Id be willing to bet youll be happy with it. Hell, Im plenty happy with 4.10

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Hmm, if I had to regear, Id probably go with 5.13 as 4.88 is too close to 4.10 but, Id be willing to bet youll be happy with it. Hell, Im plenty happy with 4.10

Thanks, thought long and hard over 5:13 or 4:88. I guess cause I unfortunately I do more highway/city driving than off roading plus pull the trailer figure 4:88 would work best for me. Plus 37s is the biggest I'm going.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
    Thanks, thought long and hard over 5:13 or 4:88. I guess cause I unfortunately I do more highway/city driving than off roading plus pull the trailer figure 4:88 would work best for me. Plus 37s is the biggest I'm going.

The thing is with 4.88s you'll still be dropping into 7th a lot esp towing. With 5.13s you'd stay in 8th. I always tell everyone whatever you thought was good for a JK, go one deeper. That's because 8th (double OD) is only 0.67:1. I've told several people do 5.13s for 37s and got a lot of "no way". Every one that has listened said thank you. If I was building a mainly wheeling JL I'd use 5.38s for 37s.

Sent via....

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    So you're saying 5.13s will bring a 37" wrangler closer to the performance of a stocker on 410s? No concerns over a weaker pinion due to the size?

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    So you're saying 5.13s will bring a 37" wrangler closer to the performance of a stocker on 410s? No concerns over a weaker pinion due to the size?
    I'm wondering about this as well

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post

I was super happy with the 4.10s also until I changed my exhaust and realized how much the tranny was hunting for gears or only using max of 6th on the interstate. I didnt even realize it until I could hear the motor with the aftermarket exhaust. Goes to show how smooth and soft that transmission shifts. Needless to say I wasnt ready to re-gear quite yet due to limited options so I put the factory exhaust back on and now Im back to not needing to re-gear.

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    The thing is with 4.88s you'll still be dropping into 7th a lot esp towing. With 5.13s you'd stay in 8th. I always tell everyone whatever you thought was good for a JK, go one deeper. That's because 8th (double OD) is only 0.67:1. I've told several people do 5.13s for 37s and got a lot of "no way". Every one that has listened said thank you. If I was building a mainly wheeling JL I'd use 5.38s for 37s.

Sent via....
    I was a huge fan on 5.38s on 37s with a JK. I got the same thing, Thank you for those that did it. They were amazing on the highway, would pull hills in 5th all day long. That 3.6 was made to run scary hot and high RPMs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast