4:88s, not so popular, but gonna try it

wwood

There is a ton of thought going into your statement. Haha. We just follow the old formula that you take your new tire size multiplied by current gear ratio divided by the old tire size to get your new desired gear ratio. So 4.10 x 37 / 32.7 = 4.63 OR 3.73 x 37 / 32.7 = 4.22. These are obviously not exact numbers and may not be the exact gear ratios available, so choose what makes the most sense. A little lower would get better mileage, a little higher would get more power.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Hopefully I won't get too much heat from this but I just want to clear up some terminology since different people use different terms when talking about higher or lower gear ratios.

The "gear ratio" we are talking about is determined by the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears in the diffs. We divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion. So if the ring gear has 40 teeth and the pinion gear has 10 teeth the gear ratio is 4.00. That also means for every full turn of the ring, the pinion turns 4 times. The more times the pinion has to turn to produce a full turn of the ring, the lower the gear ratio. So, for example, 5.13 is lower than 4.10. This is sort of confusing because the bigger the number, the lower the ratio. Generally when mechanics or auto people say they want lower gears, they mean they want something like 5.13 gears instead of the factory ratio of 4.10. The 5.13 ratio is lower than 4.10 but the number 5.13 is higher than 4.10.

This is potentially confusing at least to me since I don't always know what the person is saying when they say lower or higher - do they mean lower/higher ratio or lower/higher number?

Defcon's post is an example where he says, "A little lower would get better mileage, a little higher would get more power." I assume he is saying in his example that the 4.22 gears will get better mileage (which is correct) than 4.63 gears because 4.22 is a higher ratio even though the number 4.22 is lower than 4.63.

For whatever its worth I think we should mean gear ratio, not the actual number, when using the terms higher or lower gears. So lower gears means 5.13 as compared to say 4.10. :)

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
The "gear ratio" we are talking about is determined by the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears in the diffs. We divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion. So if the ring gear has 40 teeth and the pinion gear has 10 teeth the gear ratio is 4.00. That also means for every full turn of the pinion, the ring turns 4 times. The more times the pinion has to turn to produce a full turn of the ring, the lower the gear ratio. So, for example, 5.13 is lower than 4.10. This is sort of confusing because the bigger the number, the lower the ratio. Generally when mechanics or auto people say they want lower gears, they mean they want something like 5.13 gears instead of the factory ratio of 4.10. The 5.13 ratio is lower than 4.10 but the number 5.13 is higher than 4.10.

I think you meant for every full turn of the ring gear, the pinion gear turns 4 times.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Hopefully I won't get too much heat from this but I just want to clear up some terminology since different people use different terms when talking about higher or lower gear ratios.

The "gear ratio" we are talking about is determined by the number of teeth on the ring and pinion gears in the diffs. We divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion. So if the ring gear has 40 teeth and the pinion gear has 10 teeth the gear ratio is 4.00. That also means for every full turn of the pinion, the ring turns 4 times. The more times the pinion has to turn to produce a full turn of the ring, the lower the gear ratio. So, for example, 5.13 is lower than 4.10. This is sort of confusing because the bigger the number, the lower the ratio. Generally when mechanics or auto people say they want lower gears, they mean they want something like 5.13 gears instead of the factory ratio of 4.10. The 5.13 ratio is lower than 4.10 but the number 5.13 is higher than 4.10.

This is potentially confusing at least to me since I don't always know what the person is saying when they say lower or higher - do they mean lower/higher ratio or lower/higher number?

Defcon's post is an example where he says, "A little lower would get better mileage, a little higher would get more power." I assume he is saying in his example that the 4.22 gears will get better mileage (which is correct) than 4.63 gears because 4.22 is a higher ratio even though the number 4.22 is lower than 4.63.

For whatever its worth I think we should mean gear ratio, not the actual number, when using the terms higher or lower gears. So lower gears means 5.13 as compared to say 4.10. :)

It was not confusing until you posted this novel of a post. Nobody ever talks about actual number when referring to gears.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wwood

I think you meant for every full turn of the ring gear, the pinion gear turns 4 times.

Yeah, you are right I f'ed that up. Thanks!

PS: I fixed my original post, appreciate the heads up.

Last edited:

GrayBeard

Well, got my JLUR back from the dealership today. 4:88 Spicer AdvanTEK gears installed as well as DANA AdvanTEK 44 Front & Rear differential covers and a Rancho Front Diff Skid.

Drove home from dealership, via the highway, and stayed in 8th gear 90% of the time. Before gear change, same route, 6th& 7th gear, constantly shifting. I think there is a noticeable difference so far, time will tell. But so far very happy.IMG_20190110_131541_785.jpegIMG_20190110_131309_514.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I've got to hand it to Rancho. They offer some great options at excellent price points for the JL, which they were able to bring to market in a very timely fashion. :thumb:

However, I sure wish they would offer that skid in black. I know that I can just spray it, but everytime it gets hit, it's going to look like it's bleeding. LOL.

GrayBeard

I've got to hand it to Rancho. They offer some great options at excellent price points for the JL, which they were able to bring to market in a very timely fashion. :thumb:

However, I sure wish they would offer that skid in black. I know that I can just spray it, but everytime it gets hit, it's going to look like it's bleeding. LOL.
I agree 100%. Black would be nice

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Sorry, I was so focused on the red diaper I forgot to congratulate the performance you were looking for. Also those Dana AdvanTek covers are pretty sweet. :cool: I don't need them, however I really, really want them. Lol.

Jeeeep

Well, got my JLUR back from the dealership today. 4:88 Spicer AdvanTEK gears installed as well as DANA AdvanTEK 44 Front & Rear differential covers and a Rancho Front Diff Skid.

Drove home from dealership, via the highway, and stayed in 8th gear 90% of the time. Before gear change, same route, 6th& 7th gear, constantly shifting. I think there is a noticeable difference so far, time will tell. But so far very happy.View attachment 8168View attachment 8169

that's good to hear, I plan to gear to 4.88 when that time comes

Jeeeep

i'd take it and have it powder coated black.

But I like the red, makes leaks much easier to see

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, the only part of the skid that would get hit is the bottom. As soon as it warms up a bit, I plan on sanding the bottom of mine down to metal and painting the whole thing black.

Danny

So just to clarify because the 8 speed does change the normal equation.
33s good for 3.45
35s good for 4.10
37s good for 4.88?
40s good for 5.38?

Is it better to go extra on the gearing to find better overall balance?
Is the risk of the extra gearing being weaker the same with Dana 60s?
Or is it a Dana 44 and smaller issue?

It seems to me the extra gearing is allowing the engine and transmission to work at an advantage or less work with extra gearing. The transmission will do the same amount of work at lower rpms and less strain. Then at highway speeds the trans is better at maintaining with the same leverage. If 8th gear is being lost the total resistance needed to maintain speed is too high. Needing more gearing. Trying to understand.

Stock Rpms with 32s
1500 at 65 mph
1700 at 70 mph
1800 at 75 mph
2000 at 80 mph

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So just to clarify because the 8 speed does change the normal equation.
33s good for 3.45
35s good for 4.10
37s good for 4.88?
40s good for 5.38?

So it isn't missed, factory Rubicons come with 4.10's and 33's. This is a great setup and I would argue, still a good setup for 35's. I have personally run the 4.10's with 37's and felt no need to regear the way I did with the old JK. Now, with 37's, if you want to bring things back to about stock performance, 4.88 would be the ratio that you'd want. 5.13's will give you more power but I would NOT recommend it in anything other than a set of Rubicon axles. A 5.13 pinion will be too small on a Sport or Sahara front axle and will therefore be a weak point. Same can be said of a 5.38 pinion on a Rubicon front axle. You're just looking for trouble or at least, if you actually play with your Jeep as hard as you think.

Is it better to go extra on the gearing to find better overall balance?

Depends on what's more important to you. MPG or power. Going with a higher ratio will have you running at a higher RPM at highway speeds and therefore, suck more gas.

Is the risk of the extra gearing being weaker the same with Dana 60s?

No. A 60 will have significantly larger ring and pinions.

Or is it a Dana 44 and smaller issue?

Yes.

It seems to me the extra gearing is allowing the engine and transmission to work at an advantage or less work with extra gearing. The transmission will do the same amount of work at lower rpms and less strain. Then at highway speeds the trans is better at maintaining with the same leverage. If 8th gear is being lost the total resistance needed to maintain speed is too high. Needing more gearing. Trying to understand.

Stock Rpms with 32s
1500 at 65 mph
1700 at 70 mph
1800 at 75 mph
2000 at 80 mph

With 5.13 and 37's, you'll be looking at about 2400 at 75 and more like 3000 at 80 mph.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For reference, here's a shot I took a while back of a Dana 30 next to a Dana 44 and Dana 60 ring and pinion.

main.php