2018 JL vs 2010 JK thoughts

Jeeeep

Enjoying the 2018 JL, other than the seatbelt and seat adjustment rant from my other post, everything else so far is great.

Power and transmission without a doubt a huge improvement over my 2010.

Start/stop on the JL can die and burn in hell, really hate it lol
Prefer the stop/hold of the 2010. It's nice being able to come to a stop, remove the foot off the brake and the Jeep hold until the gas peddle was pressed.
I'm now in the group of drivers that leave ample room between myself and the car in front of me thanks to JL stop/start surge.
Hopefully a tune will come out soon for a permanent disable - yeah I forget to do it until I come to a stop :doh:

Noticed the rear cubby storage is bolted in place and plastic? or maybe it's the black powder coating that makes it look like plastic.

Do like the rail style tie-downs, I was thinking of doing something similar in my JK

Wish I would've bought the LED light group. Stock lights are better over the JK stock but nothing like LED to light up the road.
However, I still spotted and avoided the skunks in ample distance on the freeway coming home late at night.
Can't say I did that with my JK stock lights...poor Jeep smelled for weeks :icon_crazy:

Thought I'd like the soft top but nah, it's quieter than other soft tops I've ridden in and like the extra headroom but I like to keep stuff in the Jeep.
The soft top makes me empty out every night and that got old quick.
Yes I know thieves will break in if they want to (2x into my 2010) but having had soft tops sliced up vs. glass breakage, IMO its easier to replace a piece of glass.

Haven't had a chance to test the 4WD/lockers yet.

I told myself I wasn't going to make any mods until after the 1st year but nope, spread sheet mod list is growing.

Will I need to install a rear DS when I install the 3.5" lift like the JK? I'm assuming the front will be fine until it fails?

Most of what I'm reading on wheels recommend 4.75" backspace. The wheels I have, KMC Machete are 3.5", ATX Chamber Pro are 4" will I really need new wheels? are the hubs on the JL stronger?

The adventure begins!

ddays v2

Are you really going to need 3.5" of lift? One of the many things I like about the Rubicons is being able to fit 35's with no lift. 37's fit with a 2.5" :idontknow:"
I have a build sheet I'm adding to but I'm going to start out with 35's for now. (hahahaha) I'll be following your build to see how you make out. I'm still waiting on some kind of date to get mine...

Jeeeep

Are you really going to need 3.5" of lift? One of the many things I like about the Rubicons is being able to fit 35's with no lift. 37's fit with a 2.5" :idontknow:"
I have a build sheet I'm adding to but I'm going to start out with 35's for now. (hahahaha) I'll be following your build to see how you make out. I'm still waiting on some kind of date to get mine...

After seeing the JLX vids and with as much stuff as I carry when I travel, I think the 3.5" will provide the clearance needed so the 37's don't rub as much when it squats climbing over things.

Maybe Eddie will chime in on this since he went from the 2.5" to the 3.5" before JLX and I think he mentioned there was still some slight rubbing.

I still have the ATX Chamber Pro w/37 BFG KO2's that still have life on them and the current Coopers on the KMC's. trying not to buy tires/wheels right away

Last edited:

The_Timmy

I have a 2019 JLUR and mine stops on a hill where I can remove my foot. Just like my 2009...it's call Hill Assistant.

Jeeeep

I have a 2019 JLUR and mine stops on a hill where I can remove my foot. Just like my 2009...it's call Hill Assistant.

yes, I have hill assist as well but only works when off-road .

I was referring to daily driving and not having to engage any feature.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
yes, I have hill assist as well but only works when off-road .

I was referring to daily driving and not having to engage any feature.

My 2018 JLUR is an automatic. In 2 wheel drive mine will hold on a hill once the brake is released, but only when the gearbox is selected for travel up the hill. For example if I am facing downhill and reverse is selected it will hold for about 5 seconds. If I am facing uphill and drive is selected it will hold for about 5 seconds. My JKUR definitely did not do this. Maybe this is not Hill Assist?

18jl

Here are my thoughts. I traded a 2012 sport 2 door for a 2018 2 door sport. My 12 had 3:73 gears, I couldn't get them on the 18. That sucks. The steering on the 18 different from the 12. It seems to wander a lot more. There is no way to check the auto trans fluid on the 18. I couldn't get manual windows unless I chose the base model. I do like the 18 more however.

Clark Griswold

After seeing the JLX vids and with as much stiff I carry when I travel I think the 3.5" will provide the clearance needed so the 37's don't rub as much when it squats climbing over things.

Maybe Eddie will chime in on this since he went from the 2.5" to the 3.5" before JLX and I think he mentioned there was still some slight rubbing.

I still have the ATX Chamber Pro w/37 BFG KO2's that still have life on them and the current Coopers on the KMC's. trying not to buy tires/wheels right away
Bump stops if set up correct keep you from rubbing, a taller lift will give you more travel before hitting the bump stops.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Wrangler-Joe

Stop-Start

I agree on the StopStart. Before I took delivery of my new JL I purchased the "Smart StopStart" module. I installed the first day I owned the new JL. Problem solved.