M 210 u-joint

Mr. Jeep

can someone please tell me what is the replacement part for the Rubicon front axle u-joint..
i have not broke one yet but you never know, i like to be ready if it happens.. thanks...

JTCO

Meme King
can someone please tell me what is the replacement part for the Rubicon front axle u-joint..
i have not broke one yet but you never know, i like to be ready if it happens.. thanks...

I looked around and all I could find was that the aftermarket ones use a 1350 style. I couldn't find any ujoints individually for the factory shaft. With that being said, nearly every time the ujoint breaks, the axle shaft gets damaged at the yokes anyway so carrying a complete shaft would be a better option IMO.

DSC04739.jpg

32540093306_7c92ff8d6c_k.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Jeep

I looked around and all I could find was that the aftermarket ones use a 1350 style. I couldn't find any ujoints individually for the factory shaft. With that being said, nearly every time the ujoint breaks, the axle shaft gets damaged at the yokes anyway so carrying a complete shaft would be a better option IMO.

well ,,, that would work to.. thanks.

VitaMeVas

U joints to carry in tool bag

I'm putting together a list of tools/trail stuff and thought an extra set of u joints might be a good idea for the drive shaft or axles. Any advise on which brand and which size/part number for a 2019 JLU Rubicon? Opinions? Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm putting together a list of tools/trail stuff and thought an extra set of u joints might be a good idea for the drive shaft or axles. Any advise on which brand and which size/part number for a 2019 JLU Rubicon? Opinions? Thanks.

The front axle shafts use 1350 u-joints and the one u-joint on the front drive shaft is a 1330. I personally prefer Neapco u-joints being that they are made in the USA but Spicer is always a good back up.

ddays v2

The front axle shafts use 1350 u-joints and the one u-joint on the front drive shaft is a 1330. I personally prefer Neapco u-joints being that they are made in the USA but Spicer is always a good back up.

What's the best choice for a field repair - full circle clip style or the snap ring style? I've never replaced a full circle clip joint before. I've only done the outer snap ring style.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What's the best choice for a field repair - full circle clip style or the snap ring style? I've never replaced a full circle clip joint before. I've only done the outer snap ring style.

If you're running full circle clips, you most likely will NOT need to do a field repair. 99% of the front axle shaft u-joint failures I've seen have come from c-clips coming free and that in turn, allowed the bearing caps to come off. Without the bearing cap, the trunion ends up tearing through the ears of the yoke. Full circle clips will not allow this to happen.

ddays v2

If you're running full circle clips, you most likely will NOT need to do a field repair. 99% of the front axle shaft u-joint failures I've seen have come from c-clips coming free and that in turn, allowed the bearing caps to come off. Without the bearing cap, the trunion ends up tearing through the ears of the yoke. Full circle clips will not allow this to happen.

I have full circle clips joints in my parts bag but my drive shafts came with the c-clips. I often wondered if replacing one or the other was easier or are they both equally a pain in the ass?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have full circle clips joints in my parts bag but my drive shafts came with the c-clips. I often wondered if replacing one or the other was easier or are they both equally a pain in the ass?

Your driveshaft u-joints should be held on the yoke using snap rings. They should be sitting on top of the bearing caps and are super easy to remove/re-install. Either way, having something like a trail vice will make working on any u-joint a hell of a lot easier. https://amzn.to/2GWTkA0

ddays v2

Your driveshaft u-joints should be held on the yoke using snap rings. They should be sitting on top of the bearing caps and are super easy to remove/re-install. Either way, having something like a trail vice will make working on any u-joint a hell of a lot easier. https://amzn.to/2GWTkA0

Glad I got one of those vices- it sure came in handy last year working on Cozdudes steering stabilizer :thumb:

JTCO

Meme King

Merged your thread here. As you can see in post 2, this is exactly what Eddie is talking about. This happened to a buddy of mine and a replacement ujoint would have done nothing for him. We were in 2-3 feet of snow and had to tow him back to the trailhead to get decent flat ground to pull the shaft so he could drive home. These were NOT full circle clips and when the joint went, it busted his axle nearly right away. This friend of mine also called me later and said that when he got home, he checked his other side (the non broken one) and his C-clips were also starting to come out. So it could have been worse for that side as well had he not checked it. He upgraded that week to axles with full-circle clips.

VitaMeVas

View attachment 7555

View attachment 7556

Are the driver and passenger sides complete shaft different lengths, or would carrying one be sufficient?

VitaMeVas

Eddie, this maybe a stupid question. But would simply replacing the c style clip on the front axle u joints with a complete circle style clip decrease the potential weak point that leads to the breaking of the axle shaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is the stub shaft the same?

Same as in? I don't think they're the same as a JK if that's what you mean. They are same side to side.

Eddie, this maybe a stupid question. But would simply replacing the c style clip on the front axle u joints with a complete circle style clip decrease the potential weak point that leads to the breaking of the axle shaft?

Installing full circle clip will NOT make your axle shafts stronger. They will simply prevent a very common and unnecessary failure at the u-joint. Does this make sense?

VitaMeVas

wayoflife said:
Installing full circle clip will NOT make your axle shafts stronger. They will simply prevent a very common and unnecessary failure at the u-joint. Does this make sense?

Yes. I was just wondering if it was worth the time/effort to take out the C clip and put in a full circle clip to prevent the caps from coming off and potentially breaking the ‘ears’ on the axle shaft. Granted, if you’re going to go through that work, you might as well replace it with something stronger.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I was just wondering if it was worth the time/effort to take out the C clip and put in a full circle clip to prevent the caps from coming off and potentially breaking the ‘ears’ on the axle shaft. Granted, if you’re going to go through that work, you might as well replace it with something stronger.

Well, you can't simply install full circle clips on a factory shaft. I mean, it's possible but you'd have to do some grinding of the yokes. Typically, you would get full circle clips with new chromoly shafts.