JL-EXPERIENCE : REUNION - PART 4 | Cinder Hills to the Grand Canyon

GCM 2.0

The entire time we were walking through Antelope Canyon, I was equally as interested in what was 200 feet above us at the top of the crevice. Well fortunately one of the two tour guides gave a few of us the option to walk back to the starting point by hiking up and over the top. There were many places where a Jeep on 37”s or 40”s could easily traverse the split that house an insanely beautiful slot canyon.

Here is Loren Healy chilling out next to it.

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

And lastly, what lays beneath the edges of the crevice

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You know I don’t think anyone of the JL’s had a manual. I rode in most of them at some point, with the exception of Eddie and Cindy’s rig and the PSC Jeep (no room in either of those for the support crew). Here is a shot from the top of the long hill climb that was causing the Jeeps electronics to pull power out. Eddie by far had the fastest run up this. It’s no joke, deep loose “lava gravel”. You can just barely make out the Jeeps at the bottom just in front of Mel’s left shoulder.

View attachment 7515

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

No kidding. It looks much steeper, from that angle.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The entire time we were walking through Antelope Canyon, I was equally as interested in what was 200 feet above us at the top of the crevice. Well fortunately one of the two tour guides gave a few of us the option to walk back to the starting point by hiking up and over the top. There were many places where a Jeep on 37”s or 40”s could easily traverse the split that house an insanely beautiful slot canyon.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That is pretty neat. I've never seen it from the top either and have always wondered.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome video. Looks like a cool scenic cultural exploration. However, considering myself an outdoor enthusiast, I couldn't help but notice in the beginning, Greg rolling around on asphalt in a down jacket :eek:

Was that arcteryx ?

LOL!! Greg is like a diamond in the rough :crazyeyes: :D

Awesome videos!

Thank you, we're so glad you enjoyed it :)

Holy Chit! That was amazing! I am now more inspired to wheel! I just need to get more parts.

Awesome, we're so glad to hear our video was able to inspire you in this way :cool:

Wow, what a beautiful adventure.

I can’t wait to see some of that again, and some of it the first time myself.

It's beautiful country out there - definitely need to see it for yourself :yup:

"I got stung by my Stinger"
My family and I are watching this right now. The ladies (my wife and daughter) are laughing uncontrollably at that line/scene. LOL!

:eek: Kinda embarrassed here :crazyeyes: :D

Also, what's up with the Auto Start Stop? Are you still running the Tazer JL?

We are still running a Tazer but not with it plugged in all the time. I'm pretty sure you need to in order to keep the Auto Start/Stop off.

It looked great!

Thank you :)

Great Video again and props to everyone who was involved.

But when I watched early on with Mel’s sway bar issue.

I want to throw a shout to Eddie for looking into bolt size when I lost mine in August.

I was in the middle of Utah in between signal and Eddie was hit up by non stop PMs from me.

But I got it fixed at the local hardware store and headed to Top of the World. I’ve never met Eddie in person, but he spent the morning trying to help me back and forth.

That’s the sign of a great person! Hopefully some day we’ll get to wheel together!

You're way too kind. Helping where I can is what I enjoy doing. I do hope we can wheel together someday :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And of course, superb coverage as usual. :thumb:

Why thank you, we do appreciate it :)

Another awesome edition! Thanks for sharing, I've been helped by the bolt bag a time or 2, you're always so prepared! Thanks for bringing this to us and over the series I can tell just how much of an awesome time you had!

LOL!! Glad that my bag of bolts has been able to help you out :D
We were super lucky that so many of the people on this trip were good friends. Definitely made for a good time :yup:

Awesome series! Some cool places for sure.

Thanks! I know you've been out to a lot of them but it'd be great to hit some of those areas with you and Tina sometime :yup:

Thanks for bringing us along, Eddie! Did anyone do the hill climb with the manual tranny? I'm curious if it will cut power like the auto...

Not that I know of. I'm pretty sure everyone had an auto. I do suspect that you wouldn't of hand the cut out problem with a manual though.

Wow! What a fantastic finale for the series. I really enjoyed spending the week with you guys out on the trails, roads and taking in all the sightseeing spots. I cannot wait for our next adventure together to make more great memories. Thanks again for capturing such an incredible week on film, and then to be able to share it with everyone is just that much more impressive! Your final words before the closing are absolutely true, being around friends along this adventure was the best part.

Thank you Greg. There are few people that Cindy and I respect and admire more than you. We truly feel lucky to have you as a good friend and we were so glad that you were able to make this trip. We thoroughly had a great time with you and we're so glad that you enjoyed the videos we made highlighting our experiences on the JLX. Fortunately, you just can't make up the fun we really had and that was only possible because of friends like you. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just increasing my love to offroad, thanks again for sharing this experience

Awesome! So glad we could share it with you :)

You know I don’t think anyone of the JL’s had a manual. I rode in most of them at some point, with the exception of Eddie and Cindy’s rig and the PSC Jeep (no room in either of those for the support crew). Here is a shot from the top of the long hill climb that was causing the Jeeps electronics to pull power out. Eddie by far had the fastest run up this. It’s no joke, deep loose “lava gravel”. You can just barely make out the Jeeps at the bottom just in front of Mel’s left shoulder.

Definitely, the biggest benefit of going last is that you get to see what everyone else did first. The hill was really tall and steep and in a way that the video just couldn't capture. I think your photo does a much better job. Speed and manually shifting seemed to have helped.

Great finish to an awesome adventure. I loved watching each part of this trip.

Thank you. I'm glad that we were able to round things out well :cool:

On that big cinder hill climb was it just that the transmission refused to downshift or something more complicated? My experience so far has been that everything works fine in Manual mode.

Seemed to have been something more complicated. Being that there were multiple JL's, everyone got tried something a bit different and for some, more than once. Again, not everyone had the problem. Both Synergy and I made it up without the throttle cutting out.

So sad this series is over. The blessing is that there’s another in the future with the best group of friends I’ve never met. Eddie, your narration is terrific and Cindy’s photography and editing even makes straight road look interesting. Terrific job and thanks for taking us along. Nitto should have hired you guys for their video.

LOL!! Thank you, we're truly flattered and are so glad that you were able to enjoy seeing what the JLX was like from our point of view. We were truly lucky that so many of the people on it were good friends of ours as that made it all the more fun. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Here is Loren Healy chilling out next to it.

And lastly, what lays beneath the edges of the crevice

Awesome shots! Being able to see Antelope Canyon from on top made what we saw down below that much more impressive.

Awesome series glad to see the JL out wheeling. Great work :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed it. Fortunately, Jeep did a great job with the JL :yup:

A well done series! Thanks for bringing us all along.

Thanks Clay, we're so glad you liked it :)

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Awesome! So glad we could share it with you :)

Definitely, the biggest benefit of going last is that you get to see what everyone else did first. The hill was really tall and steep and in a way that the video just couldn't capture. I think your photo does a much better job. Speed and manually shifting seemed to have helped.

Thank you. I'm glad that we were able to round things out well :cool:

Seemed to have been something more complicated. Being that there were multiple JL's, everyone got tried something a bit different and for some, more than once. Again, not everyone had the problem. Both Synergy and I made it up without the throttle cutting out.

LOL!! Thank you, we're truly flattered and are so glad that you were able to enjoy seeing what the JLX was like from our point of view. We were truly lucky that so many of the people on it were good friends of ours as that made it all the more fun. :)

Reminded me of the crap Tina and I got stuck in when we went out with you and tony.

HiCenterd

Awesome video. Looks like a cool scenic cultural exploration. However, considering myself an outdoor enthusiast, I couldn't help but notice in the beginning, Greg rolling around on asphalt in a down jacket :eek:

Was that arcteryx ?

I'm pretty positive that everyone knows that puffy jackets are just sweater protectors anyway. I'm sure the sweater that Greg was wearing under the jacket is still in pristine condition...

Firejeep

I really hate it when I finish the last of a great series. Watching this has me putting Antelope Canyon on my list of places to go. Toroweap has great views of the GC, and it’s not crowded. Zion is a family favorite. Thanks for taking all us there with you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool, thanks for sharing your adventures. Toroweap is a place I’d like to visit someday.

It really is an amazing place. Definitely one to visit :cool:

Thanks for sharing, I needed a quick vacation. Just like being there.

LOL - Glad we could take you there. :D

I really hate it when I finish the last of a great series. Watching this has me putting Antelope Canyon on my list of places to go. Toroweap has great views of the GC, and it’s not crowded. Zion is a family favorite. Thanks for taking all us there with you.

Try to go in May and try to get the noon tour. I hear that's when it's best.