MOPAR tailgate reinforcement Kit ( bad Bolts )

SSBattalion

The Mopar kit does the exact same thing as the Teraflex (JK only) or EVO hinged tire carriers. On all 3 of these solutions the weight of the tire is carried by the OEM internal hinge mount support structure, meaning the internal parts that the actual hinge parts bolt onto on the passenger side of the Jeep. These OEM support parts are strong enough to carry the weight. The OEM hinges themselves are also strong enough to carry the weight. The separate Teraflex (JK only) and EVO hinge parts that bolt onto the internal support structure may be stronger than the OEM hinge parts but that is not necessary even if it could be demonstrated since the factory parts are plenty strong. The Mopar tailgate reinforcement plate spreads the weight of the tire/wheel over a large area of the tailgate which prevents flex and creasing the tailgate metal. This is the same principle as using a big washer to spread the weight when bolting something to sheet metal that would bend the sheet metal without the big washer.

The JL tailgate is stronger than the JK tailgate for the reasons stated by Eddie in his video about mounting his 37s on his JL. In fact Eddie ran his JL without any reinforcement other than the LOD tire raising kit on at least several wheeling trips without a problem.

As to the Mopar kit I do note that bump stops between the tailgate and tire are super important to prevent the tire from moving going over bumps, Eddie explains this in detail in his videos as well. I can tell you that the Mopar bump stops work great, I have virtually zero tire movement closing the tailgate or going over bumps. I am not a major rock crawler like Eddie but his JL handled plenty of major bumps without any of these kits so the OEM tailgate is plenty strong.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying anything negative about the EVO kit for the JL, it looks great and I would have probably bought it if it was available when we got our JL.

Thanks. Nice explanation. I guess time will tell how well it really works. Wonder how many 37's are out there that hit trails enough to really know over actual time. I'll keep watching.

JL_selena

I might switch to evo kit. I have the mopar tailgate enforcer and RC relocation and it works but when I open my tailgate, the spare pulls down the tail gate. So when i close it, I have to slightly lift it to close properly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wwood

I might switch to evo kit. I have the mopar tailgate enforcer and RC relocation and it works but when I open my tailgate, the spare pulls down the tail gate. So when i close it, I have to slightly lift it to close properly.

You should be able to adjust the tailgate hinge bolts so it doesn't do that. Loosen all the bolts that hold on the hinges and the reinforcement plate, then hold up the tailgate as high as it will go with shims under the gate and then re-torque all the bolts. My tailgate does not droop at all after doing this and it opens and closes perfectly with one finger. I have Cooper 37's.

JL_selena

You should be able to adjust the tailgate hinge bolts so it doesn't do that. Loosen all the bolts that hold on the hinges and the reinforcement plate, then hold up the tailgate as high as it will go with shims under the gate and then re-torque all the bolts. My tailgate does not droop at all after doing this and it opens and closes perfectly with one finger. I have Cooper 37's.
Oh ... thanks for the tip. I'll try doing that

JeepJL

There’s a part that explains this exact setting in the manual. Yup just raise the tailgate up a bit to account for the weight. I had to do the opposite when I deleted my tire carrier. The tailgate was too high after that. Good luck, don’t spend another $700, it’s an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app