MOPAR tailgate reinforcement Kit ( bad Bolts )

AlexJL

Tried to install last weekend mopar tailgate reinforcement kit . There are 4 bolts ( T45 ) that you need to torque down to 35 pt .
During the attempt to torque the bolts 2 of them got demanded ( stripped ) I guess do to a poor quality .
After researching this issue online I found more and more people with the same problem so I said I’ll share the solution for those who get stuck on the same issue...

Mopar original bolts are expensive and there are substitutes that you can buy online, here are some pictures..

You can get them online from Bolt Dipot.com

IMG_8627.JPGIMG_8631.jpgIMG_8631.jpgIMG_8632.jpgIMG_8687.JPGIMG_8686.JPGIMG_8686.JPG

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I already have buyer's remorse on this tailgate reinforcement thing, and I haven't even received my jeep yet. [emoji12]

nah, you shouldn't. I know quite a few guys with it and it actually does it's job well or at least from what I can see.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
My Craftsman torx bits are pretty sloppy when seated and have contributed to bolt head damage. I picked up this Crescent branded Torx bit set at Ace for $13.99 a few weeks ago. So far the larger sizes seem pretty stout and have provided excellent engagement with no damage to the bolt heads or the sockets. Haven't used the smaller side though.

20181209_190359-1280x960.jpg

wwood

Yeah, I felt that the 4 big torx bolts that came with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit were cheezy and I can see how they would strip out if you were not super careful. The torx cutout was too shallow and a sloppy fit on my torx bits. It is odd because the 4 factory torx bolts that come on the Jeep were great, very high quality with nice deep torx cutouts that fix my torx bits perfectly. I did initially install the torx bolts that came with the kit and they worked ok, no major problem torquing them to 35 ft/lbs but I had to be real careful to keep the bit fully engaged so it did not slip out of the shallow torx cutout.

But after a few days of looking that the cheezy bolts I did get 4 grade 12 allen head bolts to replace them and 4 grade 8 washers. I know that was massive overkill but I like nice bolts and the Jeep looks much classier now! :)

The top pic shows the bolts that came with the kit and the bottom pic shows the allen bolts.

Attachments

• DSC02032.jpg
    DSC02032.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC02128.jpg
    DSC02128.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

SSBattalion

Can anyone explain what exactly this piece does for support of a heavy wheel and tire, say up to a 37"? I get how say the JK Teraflex carrier or the new EVO JK and JL carrier works by dispersing load and weight across the tailgate flowing into the new beefier hinges of those units. This stops at the OEM hinge, so all the weight technically is still on the tailgate itself? What am I missing? I'm in the market for a carrier just trying to grasp the point of the Mopar kit.

wwood

Can anyone explain what exactly this piece does for support of a heavy wheel and tire, say up to a 37"? I get how say the JK Teraflex carrier or the new EVO JK and JL carrier works by dispersing load and weight across the tailgate flowing into the new beefier hinges of those units. This stops at the OEM hinge, so all the weight technically is still on the tailgate itself? What am I missing? I'm in the market for a carrier just trying to grasp the point of the Mopar kit.

The Mopar kit does the exact same thing as the Teraflex (JK only) or EVO hinged tire carriers. On all 3 of these solutions the weight of the tire is carried by the OEM internal hinge mount support structure, meaning the internal parts that the actual hinge parts bolt onto on the passenger side of the Jeep. These OEM support parts are strong enough to carry the weight. The OEM hinges themselves are also strong enough to carry the weight. The separate Teraflex (JK only) and EVO hinge parts that bolt onto the internal support structure may be stronger than the OEM hinge parts but that is not necessary even if it could be demonstrated since the factory parts are plenty strong. The Mopar tailgate reinforcement plate spreads the weight of the tire/wheel over a large area of the tailgate which prevents flex and creasing the tailgate metal. This is the same principle as using a big washer to spread the weight when bolting something to sheet metal that would bend the sheet metal without the big washer.

The JL tailgate is stronger than the JK tailgate for the reasons stated by Eddie in his video about mounting his 37s on his JL. In fact Eddie ran his JL without any reinforcement other than the LOD tire raising kit on at least several wheeling trips without a problem.

As to the Mopar kit I do note that bump stops between the tailgate and tire are super important to prevent the tire from moving going over bumps, Eddie explains this in detail in his videos as well. I can tell you that the Mopar bump stops work great, I have virtually zero tire movement closing the tailgate or going over bumps. I am not a major rock crawler like Eddie but his JL handled plenty of major bumps without any of these kits so the OEM tailgate is plenty strong.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying anything negative about the EVO kit for the JL, it looks great and I would have probably bought it if it was available when we got our JL.