Seat adjustment

dixonk

There is definitely something wrong with the seat to dash relationship. I cannot see the top of the instrument panel unless I scrunch down which is ridiculous and I am only 5'9". I had no trouble seeing the entire instrument panel in our 2013 JK or any other of the many cars/trucks we have had over the years. In our new JL I have to put the seat as far down as possible and lean the back way back to see the top of the instrument panel but I don't like leaning back that far so I have to put up with scrunching down which sucks.

Other than that and some of the ridiculous safety crap like ESS and AutoPark (both of which I disabled), we absolutely love the JL. :)

I’m 6’1” and have the same problem. Top of center display is blocked. Top of both gauges is blocked by dash as well. Seat is at the lowest setting.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

offcamber

I’m 6’1” and have the same problem. Top of center display is blocked. Top of both gauges is blocked by dash as well. Seat is at the lowest setting.

The JL seat on it's lowest setting sits higher than a JK seat on it's highest setting. I'm 6' 3" with a long torso and I have to tilt my head because otherwise it would be embedded 2" into the sport bar/sound bar.

Jeeeep

The JL seat on it's lowest setting sits higher than a JK seat on it's highest setting. I'm 6' 3" with a long torso and I have to tilt my head because otherwise it would be embedded 2" into the sport bar/sound bar.

I find that hard to believe because in the JL at the lowest position my knees are positioned higher but in the JK at it's highest my knees are level to slightly down.

I plan to measure the actual differences. I also think the JL when raising the seat moves it upward and more forward then the JK seats.

My daughter (5'6) got in my Jeep and commented that I had the seat more forward than usual because she could easily reach the pedals. I informed her the seat was as far back as it would go.

Conspiracy Theory time!!! Is Jeep trying to gain a new market share by making the interior feel smaller? :thinking:

13_gecko_rubi

I'll bet ya $1 that the JL seat at lowest setting and JK seat at lowest setting are within a mm or two of each other from floor :)

The dash is 4" lower so it feels like you are much higher. Which seats do you have, leather or cloth? I am 6'4" and I've noticed in my cloth Sport I have more clearance to sound bar than I do in Leather seats on Sahara/Rubicon. Over time I'm sure they would all be same as seat foam breaks in.

Sent via....

wwood

I'll bet ya $1 that the JL seat at lowest setting and JK seat at lowest setting are within a mm or two of each other from floor :)

The dash is 4" lower so it feels like you are much higher. Which seats do you have, leather or cloth? I am 6'4" and I've noticed in my cloth Sport I have more clearance to sound bar than I do in Leather seats on Sahara/Rubicon. Over time I'm sure they would all be same as seat foam breaks in.

Sent via....

Is there some reason Jeep designers left the seat height of the JL basically the same as the JK but lowered the dash 4" which prevents average size people from seeing the top part of the instrument panel? My wife who is 5'2" can see the whole panel but I can't and I am certainly not tall, only 5'9". They could have curved the top edge of the dash upwards a little over the instrument area and I could see it. As it is there is no solution since I have the seat as low as it will go and the seat back leaned back as far as I can stand it. I don't know how tall people can put up with this situation and I am dumbfounded that Jeep did not see this issue during the design phase.

Also can't believe some tall people don't have enough head room. That is really bad.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Is there some reason Jeep designers left the seat height of the JL basically the same as the JK but lowered the dash 4" which prevents average size people from seeing the top part of the instrument panel? My wife who is 5'2" can see the whole panel but I can't and I am certainly not tall, only 5'9". They could have curved the top edge of the dash upwards a little over the instrument area and I could see it. As it is there is no solution since I have the seat as low as it will go and the seat back leaned back as far as I can stand it. I don't know how tall people can put up with this situation and I am dumbfounded that Jeep did not see this issue during the design phase.

Also can't believe some tall people don't have enough head room. That is really bad.
Well I am 6'4". Yes the very top of the screen is cut off slightly. Where the menu name is. Not ideal. Check the 19s and you may notice a difference...

As for why not curve dash up, it's an open air vehicle. With top off if it didn't have an overhang the sun load would wash out screen. Everything has tradeoffs. The reason the dash was dropped was for better fwd visability. The fwd view is way better between my JK and my JL. I personally don't like the top being slightly cut off at my height but not being about to read the very top of a menu name is less important to me than getting better outside view. Just my 2c.

Sent via....

wwood

Well I am 6'4". Yes the very top of the screen is cut off slightly. Where the menu name is. Not ideal. Check the 19s and you may notice a difference...

As for why not curve dash up, it's an open air vehicle. With top off if it didn't have an overhang the sun load would wash out screen. Everything has tradeoffs. The reason the dash was dropped was for better fwd visability. The fwd view is way better between my JK and my JL. I personally don't like the top being slightly cut off at my height but not being about to read the very top of a menu name is less important to me than getting better outside view. Just my 2c.

Sent via....

The red metal stuff under the top of the dash is what actually blocks part of my view. If that was curved up a little just in the area of the instruments I could see the whole screen and there would be no need to raise the dash itself. And if the tach and speedo where tilted up a little I could see the tops of those gauges as well, as it is they are pointed down too much. That adjustment would also avoid any need to raise the dash itself.

So my 2c is Jeep messed up.......:)

dixonk

Sent via....

What’s different about the 2019?

YAHAHA

I'm 5'9" and my seat is all the way down. I prefer a more upright seat back than reclining the seat back. I can't say that I've noticed any annoyance with the gauge cluster.

The center display between the gauges has the option to display mph.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.