Seat adjustment

Jeeeep

Anyone else feel like the JL seat doesn't slide back as far as the JK?

I feel like I'm not as far back as I feel in the JK.

ddays v2

I also noticed this. I think it's the overall positioning of the dash/steering wheel/seat. It's different than in the JK. I thought it was just me self consciously expecting it to be exactly like a JK when I first got in it.
Feels like the steering wheel is closer to the windshield.

13_gecko_rubi

I also noticed this. I think it's the overall positioning of the dash/steering wheel/seat. It's different than in the JK. I thought it was just me self consciously expecting it to be exactly like a JK when I first got in it.
Feels like the steering wheel is closer to the windshield.
Ya the dash is dropped and pushed fwd several inches in both directions. A lot of it is perception. The actual seating position is within mm of the JK.

Sent via....

You know what drove me nuts? I couldn’t position myself to see all the numbers on the speedo & tach at the same time. I’m over it now, but ughhhhhhhh my anxiety was through the roof. I had the seat leaned back like a low rider at one point.

Jeeeep

The dash being so close is giving my knees claustrophobia as I prefer to be a little more stretched. Feels like I'm in a plane and nowhere to move my legs.

I did notice the seat slide rail appears to have other mounting points to gain maybe 2" ...probably my wishful thinking lol

I've also noticed the seat belt is shorter, probably because of the new mounting location.

Now that I've been driving it a few days, I'm enjoying everything else about the JL except the 2 things that relate to driving/sitting comfort.

I'm sure there are solutions to solve this and dammit I'll find them.

YAHAHA

The dash being so close is giving my knees claustrophobia as I prefer to be a little more stretched. Feels like I'm in a plane and nowhere to move my legs.

I did notice the seat slide rail appears to have other mounting points to gain maybe 2" ...probably my wishful thinking lol

I've also noticed the seat belt is shorter, probably because of the new mounting location.

Now that I've been driving it a few days, I'm enjoying everything else about the JL except the 2 things that relate to driving/sitting comfort.

I'm sure there are solutions to solve this and dammit I'll find them.

My mother in law had an 02 TJ and the seat never went back far enough. Our TJ is an 04 and doesn't have the same problem. Maybe Jeep will fix this like they did back then.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Jeeeep

Ya the dash is dropped and pushed fwd several inches in both directions. A lot of it is perception. The actual seating position is within mm of the JK.

Sent via....

the perception is my reality lol

Knee room JL - using JK hardtop kit - the short side barely fit between my knee and the dash
kneeBlue.jpg

Knee room 2010 JK, there's still a bit of room using the long side
KneeRed.jpg

Seatbelt JL pulled all the way out - straw is 10.25" long
seatbeltBlue.jpg

Seatbelt JK - straw fits with some additional room
seatbeltRed.jpg

Sucked ass on the 7 hour drive (one way) I had to make today being confined to the sitting position of the JL.

Really noticed the seatbelt confinement when trying to sit up and readjust. Had to undo the seat belt so I could adjust my sitting position while driving.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can do anything.

I can't believe I'm so OCD on this but spending hours on the road locked into a sitting position that feels like I'm in a cramped plane seat sucks.

There is more room in the back seat but I don't give AF about the back seat, I don't drive from there...

Rant over lol

13_gecko_rubi

the perception is my reality lol

Knee room JL - using JK hardtop kit - the short side barely fit between my knee and the dash
View attachment 7516

Knee room 2010 JK, there's still a bit of room using the long side
View attachment 7517

Seatbelt JL pulled all the way out - straw is 10.25" long
View attachment 7518

Seatbelt JK - straw fits with some additional room
View attachment 7519

Sucked ass on the 7 hour drive (one way) I had to make today being confined to the sitting position of the JL.

Really noticed the seatbelt confinement when trying to sit up and readjust. Had to undo the seat belt so I could adjust my sitting position while driving.

Going to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can do anything.

I can't believe I'm so OCD on this but spending hours on the road locked into a sitting position that feels like I'm in a cramped plane seat sucks.

There is more room in the back seat but I don't give AF about the back seat, I don't drive from there...

Rant over lol
There are a few seat brackets i've seen out that allow seat to go back 2 more inches. Can't remember name but trying searching for them.

As for your pictures the dash is dropped like I said. That's why knee is closer. And seatbelt is shorter. Sorry you aren't comfortable, I'm 6'4" so I understand the difference. I've never had an issue thankfully.

Sent via....

Jeeeep

There are a few seat brackets i've seen out that allow seat to go back 2 more inches. Can't remember name but trying searching for them.

As for your pictures the dash is dropped like I said. That's why knee is closer. And seatbelt is shorter. Sorry you aren't comfortable, I'm 6'4" so I understand the difference. I've never had an issue thankfully.

Sent via....

crazy that it's bothering me so much... :doh:

But so far love everything else about the JL.

Checked the passenger side seatbelt and it's ridiculous long!! so much breathing room...why?? hmmm wonder if I can swap them side to side

Last edited:

Jeeeep

so... went to the dealer and after about an hour, they told me they got it fixed.

Drum Roll for their fix.........They lowered the seat to its lowest position and reclined it back further :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

yeah..nooo

After checking another JL on the lot it's obvious the driver side is too short, they're ordering a replacement seatbelt.

And they want me to take it to them for oil changes :doh:

JTCO

Meme King
so... went to the dealer and after about an hour, they told me they got it fixed.

Drum Roll for their fix.........They lowered the seat to its lowest position and reclined it back further :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

yeah..nooo

After checking another JL on the lot it's obvious the driver side is too short, they're ordering a replacement seatbelt.

The quality of the workmanship and basic thinking in our culture is rather concerning.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

yeah..nooo

An you pay them $100 an hour. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wwood

There is definitely something wrong with the seat to dash relationship. I cannot see the top of the instrument panel unless I scrunch down which is ridiculous and I am only 5'9". I had no trouble seeing the entire instrument panel in our 2013 JK or any other of the many cars/trucks we have had over the years. In our new JL I have to put the seat as far down as possible and lean the back way back to see the top of the instrument panel but I don't like leaning back that far so I have to put up with scrunching down which sucks.

Other than that and some of the ridiculous safety crap like ESS and AutoPark (both of which I disabled), we absolutely love the JL. :)