Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: M220 Chromemoly axles

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by CalSgt View Post
    I looked a little deeper into it... The Dana U44 is a complete package W/locker, R&P, and axles. I couldn't find a price for them though
    Msrp is 4299 I believe. I paid just under 4k taxes and shipping included. The 1410 full circle clip U joints are huge, brackets are beefy and the .375 wall housing will be plenty with the 2.75 OD. Install went smooth too.

Dyna quoted me 4850 not including shipping/ tax and I was supposed to reuse my outer shafts with their inner. Or pay another $1350 for rcvs.

The UD 44 uses stock length JL Rubicon shafts except they are chromoly etc. So if you broke one you could go through the dealer etc to get a replacement in a pinch.

My concern with the JL prorock is the JK ring and pinion using a Dynatrac inner shaft but a JL outer. So what does that mean if you break the inner or outer or both? Gotta get different parts. And then put them together..since no one sells a completely assembled shaft like that. That’s worst case scenario of course but could happen. Unless you went rcv..then you’ll just explode the R&P lol.

Still, I almost went PR44 with rcvs but it was more than a few hundred more. About 2k more if you went rcv which I used to re gear the rear, buy new steering parts and a tire carrier.
    Last edited by silverbullet88; 02-16-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    I donít really get the point of that. You canít reuse factory shafts so why not just buy a housing with all that included? Ring and pinion is cheap in the grand scheme of things. Whatís another couple hundred bucks when you are buying an entire new housing?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    It's complete buy what I don't understand is why they left it 2.75" of tube. On the JK version I got it as they reused the center housing. But this thing has an all new housing. If I was doing an all new housing and putting Dana 60 sized 1410 shafts in it I would have made sure the new housing had at least 3" tubes. Weird.

Sent via....

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    It's complete buy what I don't understand is why they left it 2.75" of tube. On the JK version I got it as they reused the center housing. But this thing has an all new housing. If I was doing an all new housing and putting Dana 60 sized 1410 shafts in it I would have made sure the new housing had at least 3" tubes. Weird.

Sent via....
    It uses a 1410 shaft on a 44? Yikes. No thanks. I would save that for the 60ís. Imagine 5.38ís with a 1410 on a 44. Broken all the time. Lol

2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Nothing but a Thing
    It uses a 1410 shaft on a 44? Yikes. No thanks. I would save that for the 60ís. Imagine 5.38ís with a 1410 on a 44. Broken all the time. Lol

Yup they use 1410s! 1410s fit in stock JL knuckles so I bet you see more in short time.

Sent via....

Yup they use 1410s! 1410s fit in stock JL knuckles so I bet you see more in short time.

Sent via....
    I was thinking driveshaft when I read that the first time but even 1410 axle shaft could be bad news too. We shall see I guess.

2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Nothing but a Thing
    I was thinking driveshaft when I read that the first time but even 1410 axle shaft could be bad news too. We shall see I guess.

Ya I'm taking axle shaft u joints. The JL RCVs are Dana 60 sized too. Great for able shafts but whole system dunno. Time will tell

Sent via....

Sent via....
    That's what I don't get either, 1410 shafts with 2.75" tubes that have a wall thickness only slightly thicker than 1/4". Tons of people I know have been running JK's with 37's, on a 44 and for years. While it can and does happen, I haven't seen too much in the way of shaft failures so long as they're chromoly and have full circle clips or are RCV's. Likewise, I can't remember the last time I've seen a front ring and pinion fail that was a 5.13 or lower ratio. IF anything, what we've clearly seen are bent end forgings and broken housings - EVEN on those that have been sleeved or trussed.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    That's what I don't get either, 1410 shafts with 2.75" tubes that have a wall thickness only slightly thicker than 1/4". Tons of people I know have been running JK's with 37's, on a 44 and for years. While it can and does happen, I haven't seen too much in the way of shaft failures so long as they're chromoly and have full circle clips or are RCV's. Likewise, I can't remember the last time I've seen a front ring and pinion fail that was a 5.13 or lower ratio. IF anything, what we've clearly seen are bent end forgings and broken housings - EVEN on those that have been sleeved or trussed.
    Ya whoever has my role in their aftermarket axle division needs some more experience :-)

Sent via....

Caught the Bug
    Suppose I’ll be a guinea pig! I’m not worried about the ring and pinion. Like wayalife said I as well have many friends in my 4wd club with Jk housings running 37’s and even a one with rcvs. Iv yet to see a shaft or r&p break even with 5.13’s.

I don’t considering myself a hardcore wheeler. I enjoy the Rubicon, deer valley, slick rock. Trails like that, it helps I live so close to them. Not a go fast type of guy just casual crawling, in fact I almost always camp at least one night on the trail. Love taking my time and enjoying the view!
    Last edited by silverbullet88; 02-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Ya whoever has my role in their aftermarket axle division needs some more experience :-)

Sent via....
    LOL - it certainly wouldn't hurt. Of course, it could be they do but can't get corporate to see a bit more of the light.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast