M220 Chromemoly axles

ddays v2

I don't want to tell anyone how to wheel but everyone knows you need to be in 4L with sway disconnected. Better to be safe not sorry.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4L? I tried it once but dealer said to quit trying to do that when you're going 70 on the interstate. Kinda noisy :idontknow:

NFRs2000NYC

Bummer Eddie, I was hoping you'd ride on stock axles just to see if they can hold up and replace with a prorock when you (if you) kill the stock one. I know I'm just a spectator, but it would be really awesome to see if with all your wheeling, the stock axles can survive...this way, most of us will know that if they can take 37s+eddie, they can survive anything the common folk will do. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer Eddie, I was hoping you'd ride on stock axles just to see if they can hold up and replace with a prorock when you (if you) kill the stock one. I know I'm just a spectator, but it would be really awesome to see if with all your wheeling, the stock axles can survive...this way, most of us will know that if they can take 37s+eddie, they can survive anything the common folk will do. :thumb:

LOL!! Well, I haven't done it yet but after seeing Mel break his axle and Harris' bend one too, I just started thinking it might be a good idea to plan ahead. The other thing is, it's really hard not to hold back a bit with factory axles. Being that we're typically out on the trail solo or leading a group, I'd hate to be "that guy" and break when it's the least convenient to do so. :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
True enough but I still would go RCV. I had chromoly and they were great, but I've seen more ujoint breakage than RCV. Now I definitely haven't wheeled as long as some for sure but I do know people who run crazy, IMO, set ups that have been wheeling for years and have great experience with RCV.
They are also rated for up to a 42"tire lifetime replacement. They are 2 or 3 times more expensive and make noise(on JKs), just came out for the JL so we will have to see....
For me, it is an option but not a for sure because standard axles are less expensive and can be repaired on the trail.
And with money I save I can put on a bunch of bar lights.
Haha

I’ve had one ujoint failure on my jk in 6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

LOL!! Well, I haven't done it yet but after seeing Mel break his axle and Harris' bend one too, I just started thinking it might be a good idea to plan ahead. The other thing is, it's really hard not to hold back a bit with factory axles. Being that we're typically out on the trail solo or leading a group, I'd hate to be "that guy" and break when it's the least convenient to do so. :crazyeyes:
The way Mel broke his I'd write off as an anomolly. I think my XD60 would have broken lol.

But Harris's bend was just normal hard wheeling use. That's more concerning to me. Tony talked to me about a PR44 also but having done that in my JK and replacing a year later when I outgrew it I'll probably just skip right over that step if I break the stock 44. We'll see I guess. I'm surprised he's only doing RCVs when they already have an axle shaft supplier. Maybe it's just a longer term thing and for short term since everyone is on the orange plunger bandwagon that makes the most business sense [emoji16]

Sent via....

Deezus

Mel broke his stock axle on the JL? Front or rear?

Deezus

Well, IMO, it makes buying a Rubicon wasting money if you wheel...or you can afford new axle setups.... Or your not going over a 35" tire. If I was doing it over I would've ordered a unlimited sport and used the extra 20k to get proper axles. Then go on Amazon and buy a sticker that says Rubicon. [emoji108]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
37s and at the fad?

Yes. But to be fair, he smashed into a pretty big boulder moving at a decent clip. It was basically a crash. Of course, he's done that before in a race with a ProRock 44 and it survived.

Well, IMO, it makes buying a Rubicon wasting money if you wheel...or you can afford new axle setups.... Or your not going over a 35" tire. If I was doing it over I would've ordered a unlimited sport and used the extra 20k to get proper axles. Then go on Amazon and buy a sticker that says Rubicon. [emoji108]

eh, I'd have to disagree. You can't get the interior options that a Rubicon has with a Sport. You won't get the e-disco that a Rubicon has in a Sport. You can't get the 4:1 transfer case you get in a Rubicon in a Sport. And, a Rubicon will always have a much higher resale value. I've done it both way, bought a JK Rubicon and a JK Sport and built both up and when I got a chance to do it again, I bought a Rubicon. When it came time to buy a JL, I bought a Rubicon. For me, it still makes way more sense ESPECIALLY if you're gonna build it up. But of course, that's just me. :yup:

Deezus

Yes. But to be fair, he smashed into a pretty big boulder moving at a decent clip. It was basically a crash. Of course, he's done that before in a race with a ProRock 44 and it survived.

eh, I'd have to disagree. You can't get the interior options that a Rubicon has with a Sport. You won't get the e-disco that a Rubicon has in a Sport. You can't get the 4:1 transfer case you get in a Rubicon in a Sport. And, a Rubicon will always have a much higher resale value. I've done it both way, bought a JK Rubicon and a JK Sport and built both up and when I got a chance to do it again, I bought a Rubicon. When it came time to buy a JL, I bought a Rubicon. For me, it still makes way more sense ESPECIALLY if you're gonna build it up. But of course, that's just me. :yup:
Yea the options are not the same for sure but you could always add most of it later. I guess for me, what's the sense of having lockers if when you upgrade the axle you won't use them anyway? At least with the JK you could do a swap with a Prorock 44 and use your lockers and gears. Dynatrac is using basically a JK axle housing and as far as I know you can't use you JL lockers and gears like you could with a JK.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea the options are not the same for sure but you could always add most of it later. I guess for me, what's the sense of having lockers if when you upgrade the axle you won't use them anyway? At least with the JK you could do a swap with a Prorock 44 and use your lockers and gears. Dynatrac is using basically a JK axle housing and as far as I know you can't use you JL lockers and gears like you could with a JK.

Price it out, there's no way you could get a 4:1 transfer case, e-disco and 8" infotainment at a later date and do it for less than it would be to just get a Rubicon. Just like was the case on the JK, so far, the JL rear axle on a Rubicon seems to hold up well with a set of 37's. If you're really concern about the front axle, sell it while it's still new and use the money you get from it to buy a ProRock 44. Having good axles is something everyone should want but they're far from what I would consider a deal breaker as to whether or not you get a Rubicon. Again, I've done it both ways and when I could do it again, I got a Rubicon. Do the math and you'll see I'm right.

Deezus

Price it out, there's no way you could get a 4:1 transfer case, e-disco and 8" infotainment at a later date and do it for less than it would be to just get a Rubicon. Just like was the case on the JK, so far, the JL rear axle on a Rubicon seems to hold up well with a set of 37's. If you're really concern about the front axle, sell it while it's still new and use the money you get from it to buy a ProRock 44. Having good axles is something everyone should want but they're far from what I would consider a deal breaker as to whether or not you get a Rubicon. Again, I've done it both ways and when I could do it again, I got a Rubicon. Do the math and you'll see I'm right.
I did and with the JL you basically have to do yea your right.
I hope Dynatrac will eventually sell a housing for the JL you can do a swap with.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did and with the JL you basically have to do yea your right.
I hope Dynatrac will eventually see a housing for the JL you can do a swap with.

Agreed. If they had that now, I probably would have already done it already. Problem is, they want to get rid of the FAD and understandably so but in doing that, you open up a can of worms that's not so easy to address.