M220 Chromemoly axles

Deezus

Agreed. If they had that now, I probably would have already done it already. Problem is, they want to get rid of the FAD and understandably so but in doing that, you open up a can of worms that's not so easy to address.
What issues come up? I know you somehow have to tell computer that the FAD is still there. Are there other issues?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What issues come up? I know you somehow have to tell computer that the FAD is still there. Are there other issues?

I don't know if I'd call them "issues" per se but rather, options and directions you'd have to start thinking about. Things like, needing a new set of shafts or at the very least, one for the passenger side. Other than RCV, nobody I know is making them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
https://spicerparts.com/jeep-jl

LOL! Yeah, I got that but missed the part where it says that the axle is in a "RUBICON" width. You know, because it's WIDER than a Sport or Sahara. Not saying that it isn't, I just didn't see a mention of it. Also, what if you want to run an ARB instead of their e-locker. Because, that's what I'd want.

Deezus

LOL! Yeah, I got that but missed the part where it says that the axle is in a "RUBICON" width. You know, because it's WIDER than a Sport or Sahara. Not saying that it isn't, I just didn't see a mention of it. Also, what if you want to run an ARB instead of their e-locker. Because, that's what I'd want.
https://youtu.be/d_jT_Ygfaio

I was watching this earlier.

Deezus

At least they would have axleshafts cus they sell complet 44s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
https://youtu.be/d_jT_Ygfaio

I was watching this earlier.

That video is for a 60. I'm not interested in a 60 at this point and time.

At least they would have axleshafts cus they sell complet 44s.

LOL - Shaft ain't gonna do any good if it isn't the right length. Again, a Rubicon axle is WIDER than a Sport/Sahara.

Even if it is the right length, will it only be available in a 32 spline to work with their e-locker or will it also come in other splines to work with other lockers is what I'd want to know.

Deezus

That video is for a 60. I'm not interested in a 60 at this point and time.

LOL - Shaft ain't gonna do any good if it isn't the right length. Again, a Rubicon axle is WIDER than a Sport/Sahara.

Even if it is the right length, will it only be available in a 32 spline to work with their e-locker or will it also come in other splines to work with other lockers is what I'd want to know.

That's what she said haha. Well, I'm not sure if it would work for ya. You wanna keep the fad...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what she said haha. Well, I'm not sure if it would work for ya. You wanna keep the fad...

LOL!! Never said I wanted to keep the FAD. Dynatrac is already making a ProRock 44 for the JL and in a Rubicon width. I just didn't want to pony up the $400 premium for RCV's because, that's all you can get with it. Or, at least for now anyway.

silverbullet88

LOL!! Never said I wanted to keep the FAD. Dynatrac is already making a ProRock 44 for the JL and in a Rubicon width. I just didn't want to pony up the $400 premium for RCV's because, that's all you can get with it. Or, at least for now anyway.

They gave me a quote that included their inner shafts and required me to attach my outer shafts. I just feel like they over complicated it. If it’s JK ring and pinion but using custom length JK splined inner shafts (assuming because of the new width) with JL outers..unless the inner shafts are normal JK length and the JL outers are what give it the new width.

Hope that all makes sense lol

Last edited:

Deezus

Ok well I misunderstood you then. So, there new JL PR44 uses all JK inners except the axle shafts are RCV.
Like, I said, maybe someday they will make a JL housing which will allow me to use my Rubicon lockers and gears.

CalSgt

Here are the part numbers for the Spicer CroMo shafts... Looks like they do come with the 1410 u joints.

I found them on a big name parts store website for $716 for the front kit.

I wasn't able to find the u joint part number (5-1410-3X) they show anywhere to see if they were full circle clips, is it possible to get full circle clips for u joints that don't come with them?

axle.jpg

CalSgt

Also someone was looking for an axle assembly they could retain their JL R&P, this probably isn't as tough as the Dynatrac or Currie stuff but its an option

dana 44.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
I'll still never understand why anyone spending thousands of dollars for an axle that will be abused would settle for anything less than the best when prices are fairly comparable.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Also someone was looking for an axle assembly they could retain their JL R&P, this probably isn't as tough as the Dynatrac or Currie stuff but its an option

View attachment 8947

I don’t really get the point of that. You can’t reuse factory shafts so why not just buy a housing with all that included? Ring and pinion is cheap in the grand scheme of things. What’s another couple hundred bucks when you are buying an entire new housing?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

I don’t really get the point of that. You can’t reuse factory shafts so why not just buy a housing with all that included? Ring and pinion is cheap in the grand scheme of things. What’s another couple hundred bucks when you are buying an entire new housing?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I looked a little deeper into it... The Dana U44 is a complete package W/locker, R&P, and axles. I couldn't find a price for them though