M220 Chromemoly axles

silverbullet88

I looked a little deeper into it... The Dana U44 is a complete package W/locker, R&P, and axles. I couldn't find a price for them though

Msrp is 4299 I believe. I paid just under 4k taxes and shipping included. The 1410 full circle clip U joints are huge, brackets are beefy and the .375 wall housing will be plenty with the 2.75 OD. Install went smooth too.

Dyna quoted me 4850 not including shipping/ tax and I was supposed to reuse my outer shafts with their inner. Or pay another $1350 for rcvs.

The UD 44 uses stock length JL Rubicon shafts except they are chromoly etc. So if you broke one you could go through the dealer etc to get a replacement in a pinch.

My concern with the JL prorock is the JK ring and pinion using a Dynatrac inner shaft but a JL outer. So what does that mean if you break the inner or outer or both? Gotta get different parts. And then put them together..since no one sells a completely assembled shaft like that. That’s worst case scenario of course but could happen. Unless you went rcv..then you’ll just explode the R&P lol.

Still, I almost went PR44 with rcvs but it was more than a few hundred more. About 2k more if you went rcv which I used to re gear the rear, buy new steering parts and a tire carrier.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

I don’t really get the point of that. You can’t reuse factory shafts so why not just buy a housing with all that included? Ring and pinion is cheap in the grand scheme of things. What’s another couple hundred bucks when you are buying an entire new housing?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
It's complete buy what I don't understand is why they left it 2.75" of tube. On the JK version I got it as they reused the center housing. But this thing has an all new housing. If I was doing an all new housing and putting Dana 60 sized 1410 shafts in it I would have made sure the new housing had at least 3" tubes. Weird.

Sent via....

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
It's complete buy what I don't understand is why they left it 2.75" of tube. On the JK version I got it as they reused the center housing. But this thing has an all new housing. If I was doing an all new housing and putting Dana 60 sized 1410 shafts in it I would have made sure the new housing had at least 3" tubes. Weird.

Sent via....

It uses a 1410 shaft on a 44? Yikes. No thanks. I would save that for the 60’s. Imagine 5.38’s with a 1410 on a 44. Broken all the time. Lol

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sent via....

That's what I don't get either, 1410 shafts with 2.75" tubes that have a wall thickness only slightly thicker than 1/4". Tons of people I know have been running JK's with 37's, on a 44 and for years. While it can and does happen, I haven't seen too much in the way of shaft failures so long as they're chromoly and have full circle clips or are RCV's. Likewise, I can't remember the last time I've seen a front ring and pinion fail that was a 5.13 or lower ratio. IF anything, what we've clearly seen are bent end forgings and broken housings - EVEN on those that have been sleeved or trussed.

13_gecko_rubi

That's what I don't get either, 1410 shafts with 2.75" tubes that have a wall thickness only slightly thicker than 1/4". Tons of people I know have been running JK's with 37's, on a 44 and for years. While it can and does happen, I haven't seen too much in the way of shaft failures so long as they're chromoly and have full circle clips or are RCV's. Likewise, I can't remember the last time I've seen a front ring and pinion fail that was a 5.13 or lower ratio. IF anything, what we've clearly seen are bent end forgings and broken housings - EVEN on those that have been sleeved or trussed.
Ya whoever has my role in their aftermarket axle division needs some more experience :)

Sent via....

silverbullet88

Suppose I’ll be a guinea pig! I’m not worried about the ring and pinion. Like wayalife said I as well have many friends in my 4wd club with Jk housings running 37’s and even a one with rcvs. Iv yet to see a shaft or r&p break even with 5.13’s.

I don’t considering myself a hardcore wheeler. I enjoy the Rubicon, deer valley, slick rock. Trails like that, it helps I live so close to them. Not a go fast type of guy just casual crawling, in fact I almost always camp at least one night on the trail. Love taking my time and enjoying the view!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Suppose I’ll be a guinea pig! I’m not worried about the ring and pinion. Like wayalife said I as well have many friends in my 4wd club with Jk housings running 37’s and even a one with rcvs. Iv yet to see a shaft or r&p break even with 5.13’s.

I don’t considering myself a hardcore wheeler. I enjoy the Rubicon, deer valley, slick rock. Trails like that, it helps I live so close to them. Not a go fast type of guy just casual crawling, in fact I almost always camp at least one night on the trail. Love taking my time and enjoying the view!

Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine with what you have and really, it's speed that kills more than anything. So that it isn't missed, I think it's great that Dana offers these aftermarket axles, they just leave me scratching my head with why they did or didn't do some of the things they chose to do.

Me, speed is a big part of what I love and because of it, housing strength is important to me.

Jdofmemi

So, I picked a web based tube calculator, and did a fast comparison.
The .375 wall 2.75 diameter tube is about 30% stronger than .250 wall 2.75 diameter tube.

I admit this is not a full blown engineering study, just a simple tube strength.

Not much improvement, for the $$$ in my opinion.

Using the same calculator, staying at .250 wall and increasing tube size to 3.25 gives about a 50% increase in strength, and 3.25 with a .375 wall gives nearly double the strength of the original.

As for 1410 u joints, I have mixed feelings. While I like a stronger joint, is it going to cause broken ring and pinion instead of a broken u joint or axle?

It's a lot easier to get home with a broken axle or u joint, just pull it and drive on.

How about the end forgings?
They are thicker, but also appear taller.

Does the added height give more bending leverage, so is there a net strength increase, or does it end up being the same in the end?

silverbullet88

So, I picked a web based tube calculator, and did a fast comparison.
The .375 wall 2.75 diameter tube is about 30% stronger than .250 wall 2.75 diameter tube.

I admit this is not a full blown engineering study, just a simple tube strength.

Not much improvement, for the $$$ in my opinion.

Using the same calculator, staying at .250 wall and increasing tube size to 3.25 gives about a 50% increase in strength, and 3.25 with a .375 wall gives nearly double the strength of the original.

As for 1410 u joints, I have mixed feelings. While I like a stronger joint, is it going to cause broken ring and pinion instead of a broken u joint or axle?

It's a lot easier to get home with a broken axle or u joint, just pull it and drive on.

How about the end forgings?
They are thicker, but also appear taller.

Does the added height give more bending leverage, so is there a net strength increase, or does it end up being the same in the end?

30% increase in strength and no FAD I think is substantial. If the new 44’s are that weak I think we’d be seeing more breaks with all the people running 37’s.

Also, I can from a dana 30 to this UD 44 so for me it’s a huge upgrade. No way in hell I’d buy this axle if I already had the JL 44. You are right there..def not worth the money if going from JL 44 to UD 44.

As far as the end forgings go they are indeed much thicker and are the same height. You swap over your exsisting knuckles, unit bearing, brakes.

silverbullet88

Oh, I'm sure you'll be fine with what you have and really, it's speed that kills more than anything. So that it isn't missed, I think it's great that Dana offers these aftermarket axles, they just leave me scratching my head with why they did or didn't do some of the things they chose to do.

Me, speed is a big part of what I love and because of it, housing strength is important to me.

I do find it odd they stayed at 2.75 vs 3” then again look at their JK UD44 same 2.5 OD and only .3125 wall, which they state that axle is good for up to a 37” tire.

Yeah that prorock is awesome. I’m sure you’ll be testing it the right way shortly!:yup:

Jdofmemi

30% increase in strength and no FAD I think is substantial. If the new 44’s are that weak I think we’d be seeing more breaks with all the people running 37’s.

Also, I can from a dana 30 to this UD 44 so for me it’s a huge upgrade. No way in hell I’d buy this axle if I already had the JL 44. You are right there..def not worth the money if going from JL 44 to UD 44.

As far as the end forgings go they are indeed much thicker and are the same height. You swap over your exsisting knuckles, unit bearing, brakes.

About the end forgings, I was talking about the difference between the JK and the JL

Resurrected. Wondering if anyone’s had stock 186 or 220 axle failures & what happened. Google got me nothing really. I have a Sahara with the 220 rear & torq loc. I was thinking about new shafts up front. I don’t have full axle upgrade money right now. Anyone in my boat get the JL UD44?