recommendations for off road lights

wanderer

I am looking for some recommendations for off road lights . Just wanting better visibility I don't wan crazy 9 inch racing baja destroyers lights. Just a simple set of reasonbly priced well built cube like rigid or what ever? I got caught well after dark on a snowy trail last year and I realized then just how weak the jk lights were even thoug hI had alreaqdy replaced the factory headlights with some after market led .

so thoughts? recommendations. some like rigid . there are so many sets out there its crazy . and because this isn't a critical up grade i wan to keep the budget down. so looking at about a 100 a pair.. Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rigid are nice but pretty pricey especially being that there are so many knock off LED out these days. Were you thinking of installing some cubes or a light bar?

JTCO

Meme King
I run a cheap EBay 42" light bar on my jeep that was 80 bucks. I can honestly say that the light clarity of my rigid d2 pillar lights are clearer and just as good as the full light bar. The set of pillar lights were $180 plus the brackets. But that's all you need. Also, I just noticed this year that the light bar lens is fading a little while my rigid pillar light lenses are clear as crystal. I think rigid is waaayyy overpriced for the most part but for a set of pillar lights, you should be good to go.

NFRs2000NYC

I run a cheap EBay 42" light bar on my jeep that was 80 bucks. I can honestly say that the light clarity of my rigid d2 pillar lights are clearer and just as good as the full light bar. The set of pillar lights were $180 plus the brackets. But that's all you need. Also, I just noticed this year that the light bar lens is fading a little while my rigid pillar light lenses are clear as crystal. I think rigid is waaayyy overpriced for the most part but for a set of pillar lights, you should be good to go.

This. I have run many different lights, and use quite a few of them as shop lights and such...including some higher end knockoffs like Aurora. The fact is, Rigid's have much better QC and FAR better coatings. My duallys are over 6 years old now, and still look as black as the day I opened the box. All other LED products, while being excellent in terms of performance, have long faded. If you are looking for budget lights, shop for them like you shop for computers....the tower doesn't matter much, it's the components inside. What kind of chipset are they running...quality ones like Osram or Cree, and which ones. Do they use quality brand name "glass" like GE lexan? Do they use a deutsch connector or the cheap chinese HID black and yellow ones? If the components are quality, then chances are, you'll have a great quality light for a reasonable amount of money. If the light is super cheap, generally, the components are very low quality, tolerances are terrible, and the light output and durability are pretty bad. For my JL, I will most likely run the baja LP6es, most because I kind of dig the round light look on the JL more than I did the JK, but again, I generally prefer to buy once, and buy right, so in the long run, I don't mind spending more money on a higher quality product that will last. Just my opinion of course.