Our first Easter Jeep Safari!

I'm beyond excited right now. I just found out that I got my vacation week pick for Easter Jeep Safari at legendary Moab! This is the first time we've lived close enough to attend. This has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. We have several questions in order to make this the best trip possible:

1) What are the best days to go, if we had to choose?

2) What should we bring?

3) Which events are must-do? And which ones aren't worth the time?

4) We are thinking about camping, for fun. What are the best sites?... If we don't, what hotels should we look at?

5) How many of you are going to be there? I'd love to meet up with as many as possible.

6) What other preparation can we do to maximize our experience?

7) IF I can come up with some play money between now and then, what parts should I add? The only things I've purchased so far are a CB, tire deflator, and a good air compressor. I'm already planning on bringing most of my tools, just in case.

The wife and I would greatly appreciate any other info you can share about Moab and EJS.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.

wibornz

I will have to watch this thread. I am sure someone will chime in with some great info soon. This is also on my bucket list.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I'm beyond excited right now. I just found out that I got my vacation week pick for Easter Jeep Safari at legendary Moab! This is the first time we've lived close enough to attend. This has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. We have several questions in order to make this the best trip possible:

2) What should we bring?

4) We are thinking about camping, for fun. What are the best sites?... If we don't, what hotels should we look at?

5) How many of you are going to be there? I'd love to meet up with as many as possible.

7) IF I can come up with some play money between now and then, what parts should I add? The only things I've purchased so far are a CB, tire deflator, and a good air compressor. I'm already planning on bringing most of my tools, just in case.

The wife and I would greatly appreciate any other info you can share about Moab and EJS.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.

1. If you want to go for EJS, go during the dates of EJS. :thinking:

2. A Jeep, clothes, food, maybe some tools and some money? Normal vacation items. :thinking:

3. Events? Like which trails? There is a big raffle at the vendor show but that’s not really my thing. I would rather wheel. If you’ve never been and aren’t going with anyone else you probably want to do the guided runs.

4. At this point, take whatever you can reserve. You are really late in making reservations. People do it a year in advance.

5. I think 46. :thinking:

6. I’m not sure what you know and don’t. Doesn’t sound like much so maybe just google search EJS and watch some of Eddie and Cindy’s videos on YouTube.

7. What type of play money? Lift and tires play money or tank of gas play money?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JeepJL

We go every year during EJS. The atmosphere is incredible. If you time things right you can have an amazing time. We normally don’t run the Red Rock runs, but we plan accordingly. If you get on the trails around 8am you can a lot of times beat the crowds. The vendor show is a must. There is so much to do and see. The entire town is basically Jeeps. Find your favorite manufacturers and suppliers. They normally do runs that you can jump in on. Some are night runs. Hells revenge and fins and things are amazing night runs with a group. Moab in itself is amazing, EJS is the icing on the cake in my book. If you break that week, 9 times out of 10 You’ll find the part you need. If you try and eat at 6-8 except a wait. [emoji4]

1. If you want to go for EJS, go during the dates of EJS. :thinking:

7. What type of play money? Lift and tires play money or tank of gas play money?

1) I just meant if we can only make 4-5 days, is there anything going on that we shouldn't miss?

7) definitely not lift and tires kind of money. Should I prioritize bits and pieces like diff glide plates and shock mount skids? Frame mounted sliders? Or try and push to save for a front bumper and winch by then?

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.

Last edited:

Jeeeep

2) What should we bring?

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.

1. if you want to catch the vendor show, I'd go on Thursday. By Friday they are mostly packed up and leaving because of the raffle. Big Saturday they hold traffic so all the Jeeps running trails that day are the only rigs on Main Street (only Jeeps running trails thru RR4W participate). The best days to go at the days where they have the trails you want to run scheduled. Unless you're not planning on running with RR4W then any day, but don't wheel alone.

2. Coats, I've been there when it's 50's and also down to 30's in the morning. Extra air filter to swap out for the drive home, it's dusty on the trails.

3. Can't think of any must do events. Quadratec puts on a BBQ you can sign up for it at time of registration when sign up for trails with RR4W.

4. Hotels may be hard to find, they get booked early. I made my reservation 6 months ago. Can't speak to campgrounds.

5. I'm guessing there will be a few members there. Check out the sister site https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/55612-Ejs-2019

6. Depends on what you like to do. Be prepared for weather changes, never know how quick it'll change. I've been there on beautiful sunny days and unexpected storms rolled in.

7. Tow strap, Tire repair kit - https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?452-Trail-Vice-amp-Tire-Repair
Are you planning to run the trails organized by the Red Rock 4-Wheelers (EJS organizers)? If so, you'll have plenty of help if you get in trouble. All you really need is CB, tow strap, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, spare tire, and a jack.
A lot of how many tools to pack depends on how many mods you have and the trails you run.

Take plenty of water/snacks/food to get you thru the day - and your own personal roll of TP

One trail I would avoid is Crystal Geyser, IMO it's pretty boring lol

If I were to chose 1 trail to run, I'd go with Top of The World. Check out the descriptions of the other trails on RR4W.

I don't care for all the dust cleanup so I always run with top/doors on. Dust still works its way in but not as bad as running open.

Moab Brewery is popular, the waits can be long. really long. There are a lot of places to eat, Moab has grown a lot!

Have Fun!

13_gecko_rubi

I guess it depends on your perspective. I prefer to go very earpy, like the weekend before. Many of the vendor runs and industry folks do their stuff sat/sun before through about wed. Then it starts getting really busy. This year I arrive Sunday then head back out Friday before it's completely busy as hell. It's a good time regardless of what days you go. If you are running with the guides then basically just need lots of food, water, minimal spares and tools, and a great attitude. The organized runs can be slow and some people get frustrated. Just enjoy the scenery and you'll have a great time.

As for trails based on what you said I'm assuming your have a stock Rubicon? If I'm wrong let me know. I can give you some good suggestions if so as I've wheeled stock ones out there a lot.

Sent via....

I guess it depends on your perspective. I prefer to go very earpy, like the weekend before. Many of the vendor runs and industry folks do their stuff sat/sun before through about wed. Then it starts getting really busy. This year I arrive Sunday then head back out Friday before it's completely busy as hell. It's a good time regardless of what days you go. If you are running with the guides then basically just need lots of food, water, minimal spares and tools, and a great attitude. The organized runs can be slow and some people get frustrated. Just enjoy the scenery and you'll have a great time.

As for trails based on what you said I'm assuming your have a stock Rubicon? If I'm wrong let me know. I can give you some good suggestions if so as I've wheeled stock ones out there a lot.

Sent via....
Cool. I'm going to be there the 15th through the 18th. Yes, I have a stock Rubicon. And I'm definitely not shy about about banging it around a bit.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.

13_gecko_rubi

Cool. I'm going to be there the 15th through the 18th. Yes, I have a stock Rubicon. And I'm definitely not shy about about banging it around a bit.

2018 JLUR. V6. Auto.
Ok cool. So here are some of my suggestions

1) Top of the world is ok but is kinda boring except the overlook. Maybe try and run that without organized group. There are always people up there during EJS.

2) Hells revenge is good if you've never been to Moab. Try to run it when they do hell's gate. Escalator would be a bit much for a stock Jeep I'm though.

3) Poison Spider is great and challenging for stock Jeep.

4) Cliffhanger can be done in stock Jeep but will likely need a tug in a couple places. How many places will depend how good of a driver you are :)

5) Moab rim is a another challenging trail in a stocker.

6) Metal masher and steel bender are fun and can be done in stock Rubicon. The large drop in MM is actually easier in a stock rig imo.

Really you can do most trails there in a stock Rubicon minus a few of the really hard ones. I have a blast running stock ones out there.

Sent via....