Death Wobble on Stock JL

Jeeeep

I experienced something unnerving today at about 80mph, it's definitely not death wobble but seeing that the JL is all electronically controlled, I'll out it out-of-sync wobble.

It felt like the steering was out of sync/delayed and pulling hard to the right. When I'd correct in trying to keep it centered in the lane, there would be a delay then correction and it felt like I was chasing the direction the steering had decided to go.

If a cop would've been behind me I think I would've been pulled over for suspected drunk driving.

It was unnerving and the weirdest thing, it really felt like I was chasing the steering.

I slowed down to about 55 and for lack of a better description, I could feel it re-center as I held the wheel level...weird as hell shit.

Parked for the night and taking to to the dealer tomorrow.

IMO this much computing does not belong on this type of vehicle. A lot to be said for mechanical input.

I experienced something unnerving today at about 80mph, it's definitely not death wobble but seeing that the JL is all electronically controlled, I'll out it out-of-sync wobble.

It felt like the steering was out of sync/delayed and pulling hard to the right. When I'd correct in trying to keep it centered in the lane, there would be a delay then correction and it felt like I was chasing the direction the steering had decided to go.

If a cop would've been behind me I think I would've been pulled over for suspected drunk driving.

It was unnerving and the weirdest thing, it really felt like I was chasing the steering.

I slowed down to about 55 and for lack of a better description, I could feel it re-center as I held the wheel level...weird as hell shit.

IMO this much computing does not belong on this type of vehicle. A lot to be said for mechanical input.

Maybe your tires were tracking in a groove in the road or was it really smooth? There was the whole stiff steering wheel thing a while back but I think that somehow got corrected like in an update & this sounds different. I’d be spooked too. Can you re-drive that stretch at 60 & see if it still happens?

13_gecko_rubi

People seem to have completely wrong ideas of how the steering works. The electric part of the steering is just the pump. It has nothing to do with the steering gear. That is all mechanical. There is no "delayed computing". The physical turning of the gear is 100% mechanical from wheel through steering shaft, spring in gear, sector shaft, etc. The electric pump just replaced the pump that used to be on engine.

Now the electric pump does change speed/assist level based on vehicle speed. Is it possible you aren't getting enough assist so you are over compensating back and forth? Maybe. This was actually one of the problems on the reports early on of "locking up" when the pump software was updated to change the assist level vs speed curve. Again your steering cannot actually lock up from anything due to electrical either, you can unplug the dang pump and you still have manual steering which would be very hard to turn since it's a hydraulic box. How old is your Jeep? It's possible it never got the updated steering assist map.

Sent via....

Jeeeep

People seem to have completely wrong ideas of how the steering works. The electric part of the steering is just the pump. It has nothing to do with the steering gear. That is all mechanical. There is no "delayed computing". The physical turning of the gear is 100% mechanical from wheel through steering shaft, spring in gear, sector shaft, etc. The electric pump just replaced the pump that used to be on engine.

Now the electric pump does change speed/assist level based on vehicle speed. Is it possible you aren't getting enough assist so you are over compensating back and forth? Maybe. This was actually one of the problems on the reports early on of "locking up" when the pump software was updated to change the assist level vs speed curve. Again your steering cannot actually lock up from anything due to electrical either, you can unplug the dang pump and you still have manual steering which would be very hard to turn since it's a hydraulic box. How old is your Jeep? It's possible it never got the updated steering assist map.

Sent via....

ok, that makes more sense. Like I mentioned for better lack of knowing what to call it, it felt like I was chasing the steering but I may have in fact been overcompensating and the assist was actually delayed?

That would explain why it feels real tight at times then loose. My 2010 hydraulic assist would be real hard to turn at idle and as soon as I upped the rpm's it would turn too much once the fluid flowed thru (it's been fixed).

The Jeep is only a couple of weeks old to me, but have no idea how long it's been on the lot.

I have an appointment early AM, they were too busy today.

13_gecko_rubi

ok, that makes more sense. Like I mentioned for better lack of knowing what to call it, it felt like I was chasing the steering but I may have in fact been overcompensating and the assist was actually delayed?

That would explain why it feels real tight at times then loose. My 2010 hydraulic assist would be real hard to turn at idle and as soon as I upped the rpm's it would turn too much once the fluid flowed thru (it's been fixed).

The Jeep is only a couple of weeks old to me, but have no idea how long it's been on the lot.

I have an appointment early AM, they were too busy today.
You actually described it well! At least I understood it lol

The electric steering pump is evtpy opposite of your jk pump. It provides a lot of assist at low speeds for manuverability then backs off at higher speeds for feel. Hope the issue is just you need the SW update.

Sent via....

Hooligan_JL

JTCO

Meme King
I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear on my questions.

What is the factory caster set to on a bone stock Rubicon JL?

What happens if you add more than 6 degrees of caster to a 2.5 inch lifted Jeep with 37 inch tires? Will the front driveshaft vibrate at highway speeds when the 4x4 is engaged?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

See this post. Stock caster is 4 or a little over 4 degrees : https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...NT-END-ALIGNMENT&p=12270&viewfull=1#post12270

I don't know what you consider highway speeds, but I wouldn't recommend using the 4x4 at highway speeds. If the roads are that bad where 4WD is needed, highway speeds are scary as fuck.

13_gecko_rubi

See this post. Stock caster is 4 or a little over 4 degrees : https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...NT-END-ALIGNMENT&p=12270&viewfull=1#post12270

I don't know what you consider highway speeds, but I wouldn't recommend using the 4x4 at highway speeds. If the roads are that bad where 4WD is needed, highway speeds are scary as fuck.
Spec for stock rubicon is about 4.8. Sahars about 5.5, sport about 6. My sport was 6.1 before I messed with it. It's about 7.1 now after sight lift and relo brackets. If wasnt for fad wouldn't do that.

Sent via....

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Spec for stock rubicon is about 4.8. Sahars about 5.5, sport about 6. My sport was 6.1 before I messed with it. It's about 7.1 now after sight lift and relo brackets. If wasnt for fad wouldn't do that.

Sent via....

I remember Eddie was saying the fad is great because of how much caster is allows you to run. This just proves that

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

I concur. In fact, I was surprised that the manual states that you can shift into 4H while traveling as fast as 45 mph.

20190108_191957.jpg

Hooligan_JL

Great info. Now, what happens if you go over 6 degree on caster?

For example, 7 or 8 degrees? Is that when people start experiencing drive shaft vibration? Of course with the FAD, you won’t feel it in 2 wheel drive but will it be felt on 4 wheel drive?

Sorry if I’m making this complicated. Id like to just know why you can’t go 7 or 8 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app