Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Wobble on Stock JL

Death Wobble on Stock JL

Recently I have seen a couple news articles stating that new wranglers were getting death wobble at highway speeds. I too have had this problem, however it is a very simple fix and doesn't require a recall or new part as some of these articles suggested. There are two issues that caused this for me. First, one of my front wheels was out of alignment by a very small amount. Second, my tire pressure was a bit low due to the drop in temperature. Once my wheel was realigned and tires filled, no more death wobble!

Sent from my SM-G965U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

There is no way that your tire pressure dropping slightly caused death wobble. I live in a location with extreme temp changes and canít say Iíve ever experienced this.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Recently I have seen a couple news articles stating that new wranglers were getting death wobble at highway speeds. I too have had this problem, however it is a very simple fix and doesn't require a recall or new part as some of these articles suggested. There are two issues that caused this for me. First, one of my front wheels was out of alignment by a very small amount. Second, my tire pressure was a bit low due to the drop in temperature. Once my wheel was realigned and tires filled, no more death wobble!

Congrats, Welcome to JLWRANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by TFD View Post
    There is no way that your tire pressure dropping slightly caused death wobble. I live in a location with extreme temp changes and canít say Iíve ever experienced this.

It was most likely the alignment, I just included both issues so I didn't leave anything out.

Quote Originally Posted by TFD View Post

^Agreed. For death wobble to occur, something has to be loose.

I've seen the news headlines and read the articles. Personally I find more value out of fart-lighting videos on YouTube rather than any news media, but I digress.

For those of you experiencing this 'wobble,' what are you experiencing? On the previous models, I have experienced Death Wobble, it blows. It's violent, uncontrollable, and feels like the steering wheel is being ripped from your hands back and forth. I'd rather deal with my ex in a rage after I ran over her dog. Is this what you're experiencing? Or has the media just hyped it up and it's more of a steering wheel shimmy? What are your 'wobble' symptoms?

Fresh Catch
    I think people are honestly obsessed with that term now and are over-using it. This is likely do to all the new wrangler owners coming over from large trucks, cars and other SUVís with IFS.

Now, that said, my steering shakes at highway speed when i hit bumps in a certain way. Its an occilation that def needs to be addressed. My SS is within the date code thats been recalled, but whats the chances of that actually fixing it? Especially with rubi caster being only 4.8 or aomething
    Like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Xjcountry95 View Post
    I think people are honestly obsessed with that term now and are over-using it. This is likely do to all the new wrangler owners coming over from large trucks, cars and other SUVís with IFS.
    Exactly. For those of us that have owned previous vehicles, the dealth wobble was legit. But from what I've seen on the FAKE NEWS, it's not quite the same with the JL.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    ^Agreed. For death wobble to occur, something has to be loose.

I've seen the news headlines and read the articles. Personally I find more value out of fart-lighting videos on YouTube rather than any news media, but I digress.

For those of you experiencing this 'wobble,' what are you experiencing? On the previous models, I have experienced Death Wobble, it blows. It's violent, uncontrollable, and feels like the steering wheel is being ripped from your hands back and forth. I'd rather deal with my ex in a rage after I ran over her dog. Is this what you're experiencing? Or has the media just hyped it up and it's more of a steering wheel shimmy? What are your 'wobble' symptoms?
    Itís not death wobble. Iíve been fighting the feeling for a while. Itís more of a steering wheel wobble back and forth. No need to slow down to make it go away. Itís not violent or scary. Itís just damn annoying. I drove with it for over a month. New track bar got rid of 90% of it. Jeep drove great until it got cold out then went to shit.

Iím running 5.8 degrees caster, steering is spot on. After track bar replacement itís now just bump steer. Steering wheel will bounce back and forth once or twice then done. I still think itís the steering box causing the issue but itís easier to give everyone a new steering stabilizer to hide it.

The track bar is definitely one of the issues. I could move the bushings around in my hand when I took it off. The one I put on almost stopped the wobble all together but itís clearly still there just slowed down now.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post

Welcome to Jlwrangler and Iím assuming this must be your first Jeep. Previous jeep model owners including myself would have loved to air up our tires to solve the death wobble. Death wobble aka 8.5 earthquake on wheels will pucker you up and having you pray to the moon gods.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Exactly. For those of us that have owned previous vehicles, the dealth wobble was legit. But from what I've seen on the FAKE NEWS, it's not quite the same with the JL.
    My JL has the shake. Is it death wobble? No. More like bullshit annoying steering wheel shutter. But thatís not as catchy as death wobble.

I was at the dealership today to set up appointment for track bar weld recall. Told him that I had bump steer after chasing steering wheel shake and replacing track bar. I said something is still a little off.

Service advisorís response, ďOk so next Tuesday we will have you Jeep in to perform steps for recall and diagnose death wobble. Thatís what we call it.Ē

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast