Falcons or Fox?

Rubiconchris

Since installing my 35 inch tires on my Rubi I've noticed my stock shocks having trouble keeping up. I want to install a set of monotube shocks and have narrowed it down to the falcons and the Fox 2.0's. I would like to eliminate the front end bouncing as well. I'm not lifted. I've run Bilstein 5100's on my TJ Rubi and Fox 2.0 adventure series on my JK. I liked both but would like to try something new like the Falcons. Are they good shocks? IMAG4089.jpeg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Teraflex doesn't have the best reputation for quality. There's no way that I'd risk purchasing the Falcons.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is their rep as bad as Rough Country?

What I can tell you is that while I'm not a huge fan of Rough Country, I've never seen one of their products fail like I have seen TeraFlex control arm joints fail or break like I have seen TeraFlex track bars break, long arm brackets break, tire carriers break and on more than one occasion. What TeraFlex does really well and better than Rough Country is market their products to guys like you.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/4743-TeraFlex-Long-Arm-Bracket-Break
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5169-TeraFlex-Front-Track-Bar-Breaks

Piginajeep

Terror flex pushes what makes them money. Whatever happened to the Elka shocks they were pushing as gold? Or the speed bumps made of foam ?

2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Terror flex pushes what makes them money. Whatever happened to the Elka shocks they were pushing as gold? Or the speed bumps made of foam ?

2012 JK8
1958 FC170
1954 M38A1

:cheesy: Damn good points!! Man, I absolutely HATED running those stupid Speed Bumps.

Rellik

We have been running Falcons on Kims JLUR with no issue. I am not a teraflex fanboy but the Falcon shocks so far so good. On road manners are good and they have handled trails well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We have been running Falcons on Kims JLUR with no issue. I am not a teraflex fanboy but the Falcon shocks so far so good. On road manners are good and they have handled trails well.

Hopefully, you'll continue to have good luck with them won't have them leak like I've seen or break any bar pins, another thing I've seen with Falcons.

Rellik

Hopefully, you'll continue to have good luck with them won't have them leak like I've seen or break any bar pins, another thing I've seen with Falcons.

well that would be a deal breaker for me. I give parts a chance. If they fail i will never purchase from them again. Example.... Metal cloak Tierods. Look at them wrong and they bend. went through 3 of them in 6 weeks. Original one I purchased the other 2 they sent as replacements. Never ever again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Broken Falcon shock bar pin...

20181124212751-231f6806.jpg

Leaking Falcon shock and only after 2 months...

20181124212807-ff51b6c4.jpg

Can't make this stuff up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
well that would be a deal breaker for me. I give parts a chance. If they fail i will never purchase from them again. Example.... Metal cloak Tierods. Look at them wrong and they bend. went through 3 of them in 6 weeks. Original one I purchased the other 2 they sent as replacements. Never ever again.

Metalcloak is great at marketing too.

JP223/3USA

Broken Falcon shock bar pin...

20181124212751-231f6806.jpg

Leaking Falcon shock and only after 2 months...

20181124212807-ff51b6c4.jpg

Can't make this stuff up.

Judging by the rear brake line extension bracket in the second photo, they must be running a Teraflex lift kit with those shocks. I fear their lives are in danger. Also, made in China products in the past have had high concentrations of lead in their paint/powder coats.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Onlyone

Since installing my 35 inch tires on my Rubi I've noticed my stock shocks having trouble keeping up. I want to install a set of monotube shocks and have narrowed it down to the falcons and the Fox 2.0's. I would like to eliminate the front end bouncing as well. I'm not lifted. I've run Bilstein 5100's on my TJ Rubi and Fox 2.0 adventure series on my JK. I liked both but would like to try something new like the Falcons. Are they good shocks? View attachment 7114

Sent from my HTC One M9 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I had the Fox’s on my JL. They were great for the short time I had it. That said, I had them on my JK’s too and they were a great upgrade then as well. Bilsteins were always a bit too harsh for me in the past, but admittedly I had them on my TJ and that’s not saying much, since I had crappy springs on it.

Great lookin little 2 door by the way. I’ll have one soon too.

NFRs2000NYC

I've had bilsteins on ALL my sports cars, usually coilovers....superb products and they really know their suspension. Having said that, in the offroad world, while I don't doubt their quality is still there, I too find them far too stiff for something like a wrangler, where you want a soft and compliant ride. I would imagine however, that they would be fantastic upgrades on something like a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.

JrBiem

I researched for this same decision a couple months ago. Due to the reputation here and elsewhere (see Eddie's links to threads on Falcon damage) I went with the Fox 2.0s and they suit me perfectly, plus they were cheaper than the Falcons!