Recon coil overs

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you Eddie. There is so much BS in what you just posted. I was able to talk to you twice. Once as you went ahead of us at little sluice and the 2nd time when you caught us at Buck Island where we made camp. If you would have gotten close enough to communicate before Buck Island we would have moved over for your group to pass.

We were literally in your asshole on the granite slabs and you guys continued to spot everyone down them without letting us pass. The granite slabs are more flat than my driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I could probably go on and on but the bottom line is, coilovers are far from needed for MOST people. Typically, I find that most people who get coilovers never use them for what they're made to really do. But of course, that's just me.

Guilty :standing wave: lol

benatc1

While I don't have coilovers, they seem to fit well for what I like to do and where I live, they come at a cost but it's all relative to if you've out grown standard coil and shocks, hence If you need/want you go faster or want bigger flex. but, like stated before you need to have everything set up "right".

Side note, we waited all afternoon, had stopped alot, and still couldnt get moving that day. No one was hung up in the little sluice for any amount of time. There were Plenty of spots on trail where we could have passed if allowed, fortunately we were able to take another way at buck lake and get back on pace to try and make Rubicon springs before dark, (which we didn't). Absolutly Nothing wrong with being "slow" or taking your time, but if your going to do that and spot every rock at least let other groups go on their way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

I think 13_gecko_rubi covered it well but just to add to it, a big advantage of running coilovers is that they have the potential to offer bigger travel than a standard coil and shock setup. Depending on how the mounts are designed, this "can" be done while still maintaining a low center of gravity. Coilovers can also be setup with 2 different spring rates of your liking and separated with a timing ring to give you greater control of how they'll feel for normal driving and how they'll respond under a heavy hit. Same is true of the valving as that too can be setup with different shim stacks. As mentioned, they are also adjustable or at least, to a degree and more preload can be set to compensate for a heavier load that you might be carrying. Of course, one of the biggest advantages of coilovers, my personal favorite and one that most people never really tap into, is how well they "can" perform while driving hard and fast across the desert. This goes back to the spring rates you can run and the valving you can set them up with. Also, the fact that they have big remote reservoirs will help keep them cooler and prevent the kind of cavitation that would normally occur in an old school hydro or even eventually occur in standard monotube shock.

With all that said, there are plenty of pitfalls to coilovers too, just as 13_gecko_rubi pointed out. First and foremost, UNLESS the mounts are designed well, you will most likely end up with a TALLER stance rather than a LCG and one that won't yield anymore vertical travel than a standard coil and shock setup would. Depending on what spring rates are used and how the valving is setup, you could also end up with a ride that sucks worse than the worst coil and spring setup. Also, coilovers can be noisy and they require maintenance which, unless you have a tall enough garage and can do it yourself, can be expensive and leave you with a Jeep sitting on very tall jack stands for as long as a month.

I could probably go on and on but the bottom line is, coilovers are far from needed for MOST people. Typically, I find that most people who get coilovers don't really have a clue about them and never use them for what they're made to really do. But of course, that's just me.
I will whole heartedly say that when I first got the ones on my JK I didn't need them and had no clue what I was getting in to. Since then I've grown into them and knowing what I do now that's why my JK is getting the custom mounts now. This JL stop actually is pretty good in my opinion which is why I went with it :)

Sent via....