Recon coil overs

Rellik

LOL!! I didn't realize there was anything here to get into a pissing contest about but, okay. As far as BS goes, I have EVERYONE in my group who can verify what happened AND, if you really want, I have video too. Hell, you even commented about the water gun fight we had up on the Slabs - you know, yet another time we had stopped due to the fact that you guys were going so painfully slow and you wouldn't let us pass. But again, no big deal by me. If it were, I would have walked up to your Jeep and let you know.

To reiterate, I am NOT criticizing how you choose to wheel - just that you haven't damaged your coil overs because you haven't been taking on harder lines.

again you keep saying "we would not let you pass" I dont remember you getting close enough to pass. yes yes im sure your guys will verify everything and yes we were moving painfully slow as I was taking care of my newbies. FYI i will have another group of newbies on the Rubicon on those same dates next year and we will be moving painfully slow again and when given the opportunity to move over and let others pass we will gladly do so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
again you keep saying "we would not let you pass" I dont remember you getting close enough to pass. yes yes im sure your guys will verify everything and yes we were moving painfully slow as I was taking care of my newbies. FYI i will have another group of newbies on the Rubicon on those same dates next year and we will be moving painfully slow again and when given the opportunity to move over and let others pass we will gladly do so.

Of course you don't remember seeing us, you were at the front of the group! Your spotters sure as hell saw us and so did the folks in the very back. Perhaps if you taught your newbies about trail etiquette, they would have relayed a message to you about us being there. And again, when you stop on the trail to do whatever it was you were doing, it'd be nice if you at least made some effort to pull everyone to the side to let through traffic pass.

AND AGAIN - my whole point to bring up the Rubicon was to point out why you don't have any damage on your coilovers.

Rellik

LOL - I guess that would explain why you guys were going so slow. Of course, it would have been nice if you guys had made some effort to pull of the trail when you stopped a couple of times too.

a simple conversation we could have had on the trail but obviously you prefer to not communicate on trail and say "we would not move over" that is BS on your part. You have your story and I have mine. I think they call this a Mexican stand off.

Rellik

Of course you don't remember seeing us, you were at the front of the group! Your spotters sure as hell saw us and so did the folks in the very back. Perhaps if you taught your newbies about trail etiquette, they would have relayed a message to you about us being there. And again, when you stop on the trail to do whatever it was you were doing, it'd be nice if you at least made some effort to pull everyone to the side to let through traffic pass.

AND AGAIN - my whole point to bring up the Rubicon was to point out why you don't have any damage on your coilovers.

yes so let me get this straight.

1. we have no trail etiquette
2. we move painfully slow
3. we take the easy lines
4. I have 2" of up travel
5. My coil overs are not damaged because of #2 and #3
6. you really dont want to offend me but....
7. you really do want to offend in your own way and you do it very smooth

yep that about covers it

All good Eddie

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
a simple conversation we could have had on the trail but obviously you prefer to not communicate on trail and say "we would not move over" that is BS on your part. You have your story and I have mine. I think they call this a Mexican stand off.

:cheesy: For the love of god, I was trying to be understanding and wouldn't have even brought it up had you not gotten all butthurt.

YET AGAIN, I only mentioned the Rubicon to point out the obstacles you CHOSE not to run and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I was simply trying to illustrate that saying you've run a certain trail by name doesn't mean a whole lot, or at least to me anyway, if you don't take on all the hard obstacles. Maybe you really are the badass you imagine yourself to be but I haven't seen any pics or videos to show me otherwise and I can only go off of what I've personally seen. That was all I was saying.

As far as stories go, it's clear to me that you're gonna choose to believe whatever it is you want to believe and really, that's fine by me.

Rellik

:cheesy: For the love of god, I was trying to be understanding and wouldn't have even brought it up had you not gotten all butthurt.

YET AGAIN, I only mentioned the Rubicon to point out the obstacles you CHOSE not to run and there is NOTHING wrong with that. I was simply trying to illustrate that saying you've run a certain trail by name doesn't mean a whole lot, or at least to me anyway, if you don't take on all the hard obstacles. Maybe you really are the badass you imagine yourself to be but I haven't seen any pics or videos to show me otherwise and I can only go off of what I've personally seen. That was all I was saying.

As far as stories go, it's clear to me that you're gonna choose to believe whatever it is you want to believe and really, that's fine by me.

im not butt hurt Eddie. I totally get it. my coils are not damaged because i dont take the hard lines. You win brother. time for a beer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yes so let me get this straight.

1. we have no trail etiquette
2. we move painfully slow
3. we take the easy lines
4. I have 2" of up travel
5. My coil overs are not damaged because of #2 and #3
6. you really dont want to offend me but....
7. you really do want to offend in your own way and you do it very smooth

yep that about covers it

All good Eddie

*SIGH*

1. Maybe YOU have trail etiquette, maybe not but IF you do, it's clear that you never taught the newbies in your group about it.
2. YES, you move painfully slow but that's just my opinion. The truth of the matter is, how you choose to wheel is of no concern of mine.
3. Funny, I could have sworn you had just gotten done saying you "really dont care what others think of how you wheel".
4. I dunno - you said you had 4" but haven't posted up a pic to prove as much.
5. You were the one who named off trails you've run like it mattered. I simply pointed out what I personally saw and in the hopes of putting perspective on things.
6. I could be wrong but for someone who says he doesn't care what others think about how he wheels, you sure seem to care a lot.
7. No. I was simply trying to illustrate why it might be that you haven't damaged your coilovers. You keep on trying to make it into something that will get your panties in a twist.

Yep, that about covers it.

Rampart22

[emoji165] [emoji897] [emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks for the insight Relik, Eddie and others. No intent here on causing a flare up. Just looking for honest opinion. Good, bad or indifferent. And it seems i did get some. [emoji1417]

I’m looking for the right set up without breaking the bank but quickly realizing, damn this is going to fun building the new JLU. I don’t want to regret buying the wrong lift. So forgive me if I ask the dumb newbie questions.

Nearly 6k for EVO and 5k for recon. Insert pic of raining money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the insight Relik, Eddie and others. No intent here on causing a flare up. Just looking for honest opinion. Good, bad or indifferent. And it seems i did get some. [emoji1417]

I’m looking for the right set up without breaking the bank but quickly realizing, damn this is going to fun building the new JLU. I don’t want to regret buying the wrong lift. So forgive me if I ask the dumb newbie questions.

Nearly 6k for EVO and 5k for recon. Insert pic of raining money.

The real question you should be asking is, do you really need coilovers?

Rampart22

The real question you should be asking is, do you really need coilovers?

You’ve been on more trails then anyone I know. And you for sure have taken your rig places that quite honestly I know I don’t have the skill yet to take. You have had the experience with multiple suspensions, lifts, shocks etc and have the proof in the pudding of what works or doesn’t. But forgive the dumb question here, but doesn’t a Coilover offer a smoother ride both on and off the road, longer wheel travel at LCG? And compared to a let’s say king to king shock vs coil. Is there a significant difference in them to justify the cost? I’m not looking for a mall crawler but I can’t afford to use my Jeep purely as a beater.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You’ve been on more trails then anyone I know. And you for sure have taken your rig places that quite honestly I know I don’t have the skill yet to take. You have had the experience with multiple suspensions, lifts, shocks etc and have the proof in the pudding of what works or doesn’t. But forgive the dumb question here, but doesn’t a Coilover offer a smoother ride both on and off the road, longer wheel travel at LCG? And compared to a let’s say king to king shock vs coil. Is there a significant difference in them to justify the cost? I’m not looking for a mall crawler but I can’t afford to use my Jeep purely as a beater.

What I can tell you is that not all coilovers are made the same. Not all are valved the same. Not all run the same spring rates. Sure, a coilover "can" offer more vertical travel but not all actually do. Coilovers "can" be made to do all this with a LCG but not all do. On something like a JK, I personally would run an EVO Enforcer Kit with King 2.5 or 3.0 over a bolt on coilover kit. While the amount of travel you get is more on the coilovers, it's just a bit more and the ride quality on the Plush Ride coils and King shocks are in fact, way better especially for bombing in the desert. Nothing short of an EVO DTD is gonna give you everything you want and that costs a lot of money. The design of the Rebel kit is simply way too tall for my taste and have never seen it flex as well as you would think but then, that's just me.

On the JLX, most everyone was running coilovers or at the very least King or Fox shocks. As you may or may not know, we ran it with just a Rancho lift and 9000 shocks. A kit that's a fraction of the cost and I might add, still performed exceptionally well. Is it as nice as the DTD that I have on Moby? Not by a long shot but it definitely performed well enough that I'm not dying to install a set of coilovers - especially not for just a set of bolt on ones anyway.

JeepJL

What I can tell you is that not all coilovers are made the same. Not all are valved the same. Not all run the same spring rates. Sure, a coilover "can" offer more vertical travel but not all actually do. Coilovers "can" be made to do all this with a LCG but not all do. On something like a JK, I personally would run an EVO Enforcer Kit with King 2.5 or 3.0 over a bolt on coilover kit. While the amount of travel you get is more on the coilovers, it's just a bit more and the ride quality on the Plush Ride coils and King shocks are in fact, way better especially for bombing in the desert. Nothing short of an EVO DTD is gonna give you everything you want and that costs a lot of money. The design of the Rebel kit is simply way too tall for my taste and have never seen it flex as well as you would think but then, that's just me.

On the JLX, most everyone was running coilovers or at the very least King or Fox shocks. As you may or may not know, we ran it with just a Rancho lift and 9000 shocks. A kit that's a fraction of the cost and I might add, still performed exceptionally well. Is it as nice as the DTD that I have on Moby? Not by a long shot but it definitely performed well enough that I'm not dying to install a set of coilovers - especially not for just a set of bolt on ones anyway.

There is a ton of truth in this post. Are coilovers cool looking? Heck yeah but what you can do with a spring and shock setup will do pretty much anything you want especially as a noobie. Start simple and change what you need as you find the areas of your Jeep you need to change. I think you’ll be surprised that you won’t need to change much with a great spring and shock setup.

BillArnett

I'm NOT (currently) looking for a set of coilovers. But maybe that's just because I don't understand what their advantages are. Perhaps someone could explain?

13_gecko_rubi

I'm NOT (currently) looking for a set of coilovers. But maybe that's just because I don't understand what their advantages are. Perhaps someone could explain?
The main advantages (at least in my opinion) to coilovers are these:

1) Clears up some space/tighter packaging when you start getting lots of things going on esp in front. That said they can't also create a packaging issue sometimes.

2) Height Ajustability. This is one of the biggest ones in my opinion. You can fine tune the exact ride height you want. And you can "easily" alter ride height based on cargo, passengers, planned wheeling type if you want.

3) Tuning Adjustability. This one is both a huge positive and a huge negative. On the positive there is a ton of adjustability with valving, pressures, spring rates, etc. A high end normal shock will get you the same shock tuning potential but not the spring rate one. While all this is great it can also be a nitemare if you don't know what you are doing or how to do it. A badly setup coilover (or high end shock) can ride worse than a $300 rough country lift.

If you have a 12" coilover or a 12" Walmart shock both mounted to same place you will get the same amount of travel (assuming shocks are same compressed and extended length). Using normal coil springs and nice shocks will get you most of the same performance as coilovers. I personally like the height adjustability as I frequently will run my Jeep on some trails with only 2 of us, no cargo, no spare, etc. Then next trip I may have 5 of us all loaded up with cargo and I will adjust the rears to compensate.

Oh and one other "benefit" is they look cool? I mean it sounds funny but many people install them simply because they read or think they are so much better and for looks. I often try to talk people out of them and just getting higher end shocks because they don't know what they are getting in to.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I think 13_gecko_rubi covered it well but just to add to it, a big advantage of running coilovers is that they have the potential to offer bigger travel than a standard coil and shock setup. Depending on how the mounts are designed, this "can" be done while still maintaining a low center of gravity. Coilovers can also be setup with 2 different spring rates of your liking and separated with a timing ring to give you greater control of how they'll feel for normal driving and how they'll respond under a heavy hit. Same is true of the valving as that too can be setup with different shim stacks. As mentioned, they are also adjustable or at least, to a degree and more preload can be set to compensate for a heavier load that you might be carrying. Of course, one of the biggest advantages of coilovers, my personal favorite and one that most people never really tap into, is how well they "can" perform while driving hard and fast across the desert. This goes back to the spring rates you can run and the valving you can set them up with. Also, the fact that they have big remote reservoirs will help keep them cooler and prevent the kind of cavitation that would normally occur in an old school hydro or even eventually occur in standard monotube shock.

With all that said, there are plenty of pitfalls to coilovers too, just as 13_gecko_rubi pointed out. First and foremost, UNLESS the mounts are designed well, you will most likely end up with a TALLER stance rather than a LCG and one that won't yield anymore vertical travel than a standard coil and shock setup would. Depending on what spring rates are used and how the valving is setup, you could also end up with a ride that sucks worse than the worst coil and spring setup. Also, coilovers can be noisy and they require maintenance which, unless you have a tall enough garage and can do it yourself, can be expensive and leave you with a Jeep sitting on very tall jack stands for as long as a month.

I could probably go on and on but the bottom line is, coilovers are far from needed for MOST people. Typically, I find that most people who get coilovers don't really have a clue about them and never use them for what they're made to really do. But of course, that's just me.