Recon coil overs

Rampart22

Anyone have any experience good/bad with Recon Coilover bolt on kit? I see their offering king coil and bumps with a bolt on conversion kit for a reasonable price. Ive been looking at all options including EVO but price is still a challenge.
Does anyone have a take?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Anyone have any experience good/bad with Recon Coilover bolt on kit? I see their offering king coil and bumps with a bolt on conversion kit for a reasonable price. Ive been looking at all options including EVO but price is still a challenge.
Does anyone have a take?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
I can't speak to their JL kits but their JK kits you always had to run the Jeep with more lift to get decent uptravel. The rear setup was laid way back and easy to hit on rocks.

For JL the rear is totally different but the front looks the same.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never been a fan of Rebel coil overs being that they're always so damn tall. Also, I've personally seen them being cycled and they get nowhere near the amount of actual vertical travel that their coilovers "should" offer.

Rellik

I can't speak to their JL kits but their JK kits you always had to run the Jeep with more lift to get decent uptravel. The rear setup was laid way back and easy to hit on rocks.

For JL the rear is totally different but the front looks the same.

Sent via....

I have the recon kit on my JKUR have had it on the Rubicon Trail twice, Pinion Mountain twice, upper and lower gate keepers on Devils Canyon and a multitude of other trails and have not hit a rock yet with the rears.:idontknow:

Rellik

Never been a fan of Rebel coil overs being that they're always so damn tall. Also, I've personally seen them being cycled and they get nowhere near the amount of actual vertical travel that their coilovers "should" offer.

I have loved my recon kit on my JKUR but...I have never tried any other manufacturers coil overs so im really stating from a position of ignorance as the only thing i have to compare the performance to is standard spring lifts. I have just installed a Recon kit on a JLUR and I can confirm that they are as tall as the JK kits were.

13_gecko_rubi

I have the recon kit on my JKUR have had it on the Rubicon Trail twice, Pinion Mountain twice, upper and lower gate keepers on Devils Canyon and a multitude of other trails and have not hit a rock yet with the rears.:idontknow:
You are doing good then. Everyone I've seen had marks in them including Rebel. I have several scraps on my EVO ones that are even higher.

Sent via....

Rellik

You are doing good then. Everyone I've seen had marks in them including Rebel. I have several scraps on my EVO ones that are even higher.

Sent via....
we use a lot of spotters. I know some would say we use spotters way to much but we do avoid a lot of damage on trail by spotting a lot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I'm sincerely not trying to offend you or anyone but there are more ways than one to run all of those trails. While I wasn't around to see you run some of the other trails you listed, I did see you on the Rubicon and I know you didn't run Little Sluice or Old Sluice which is a lot harder. Over at Buck Island, you went around the big climb over by the dam too. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just, you can't just throw out trail names like that like it's proof of something.

Rellik

I hope you don't take this the wrong way because I'm sincerely not trying to offend you or anyone but there are more ways than one to run all of those trails. While I wasn't around to see you run some of the other trails you listed, I did see you on the Rubicon and I know you didn't run Little Sluice or Old Sluice which is a lot harder. Over at Buck Island, you went around the big climb over by the dam too. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just, you can't just throw out trail names like that like it's proof of something.

Eddie,
we bypassed little sluice as your group was hung up on that obstacle, I did not take my group of newbies through old sluice as they were not ready for that. We all did make it passed the obstacle that you guys bypassed when you took damage. I am simply trying to communicate that my rig is a trail rig and that just because I run a Recon kit doesnt make it a mall crawler. I have been on those trails and many more and my rear coil overs are doing just fine. I knew when I posted on this thread that I was putting a HUGE target on my back. The trails I have done and the way I have done them means everything to me. I say this with all do respect. I really dont care what others think of how I wheel.

Rellik

I just went out and took these pictures of the rear coil overs. You can see the are dirty and dusty and there are a few nicks and scrapes but no serious damage to them at all.

Attachments

• coil1.jpg
    coil1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 100
  • coil2.jpg
    coil2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 109

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,
we bypassed little sluice as your group was hung up on that obstacle, I did not take my group of newbies through old sluice as they were not ready for that. We all did make it passed the obstacle that you guys bypassed when you took damage. I am simply trying to communicate that my rig is a trail rig and that just because I run a Recon kit doesnt make it a mall crawler. I have been on those trails and many more and my rear coil overs are doing just fine. I knew when I posted on this thread that I was putting a HUGE target on my back. The trails I have done and the way I have done them means everything to me.

LOL!! You have got to be kidding me. You guys were just hanging out doing a whole lot of nothing at the Little Sluice when we decided to go around you. Of course, in spite of us stopping on the other side of Little Sluice to have a nice leisurely lunch, we still ended up on your ass the whole way after. I must say that I was surprised that for someone who has so much trail experience, you never once offered to let us pass. But hey, that's cool - I tried holding back time and time again just to give you guys some breathing room being that you had guys walking the entire trail and spotting everyone over ever little pebble and crack. As far as the obstacle goes that I took damage on, I sure as hell hope you made it past it being that we spent so time winching the rock out into a better position with the group of Chevys that were there. You know, about the time you guy were just clearing the easy line up by the damn with winches.

I say this with all do respect. I really dont care what others think of how I wheel.

Nor should you. But I'll tell ya, you could have fooled me. Of course, my whole point to all this was NOT to criticize how you wheel but rather, to point out that you haven't damaged your coil overs because you haven't been taking on harder obstacles. And again, there's nothing wrong with that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just went out and took these pictures of the rear coil overs. You can see the are dirty and dusty and there are a few nicks and scrapes but no serious damage to them at all.

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM but... am I seeing things or do you really just have 2" of up travel on those things? :thinking:

Rellik

LOL!! You have got to be kidding me. You guys were just hanging out doing a whole lot of nothing at the Little Sluice when we decided to go around you. Of course, in spite of us stopping on the other side of Little Sluice to have a nice casual lunch, we still ended up on your ass the whole way after. I must say that I was surprised that for someone who has so much trail experience, you never once offered to let us pass. But hey, that's cool - I tried holding back time and time again just to give you guys some breathing room being that you had guys walking the trail and spotting everyone over ever little pebble and crack. As far as the obstacle goes that I took damage on, I sure as hell hope you made it past it being that we spent so time winching the rock out into a better position with the group of Chevys that were there. You know, about the time you guy were just clearing the easy line up by the damn.

Nor should you. But I'll tell ya, you could have fooled me. Of course, my whole point to all this was NOT to criticize how you wheel but rather, to point out that you haven't damaged your coil overs because you haven't been taking on harder obstacles. And again, there's nothing wrong with that.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you Eddie. There is so much BS in what you just posted. I was able to talk to you twice. Once as you went ahead of us at little sluice and the 2nd time when you caught us at Buck Island where we made camp. If you would have gotten close enough to communicate before Buck Island we would have moved over for your group to pass.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you Eddie. There is so much BS in what you just posted. I was able to talk to you twice. Once as you went ahead of us at little sluice and the 2nd time when you caught us at Buck Island where we made camp. If you would have gotten close enough to communicate before Buck Island we would have moved over for your group to pass.

LOL!! I didn't realize there was anything here to get into a pissing contest about but, okay. As far as BS goes, I have EVERYONE in my group who can verify what happened AND, if you really want, I have video too. Hell, you even commented about the water gun fight we had up on the Slabs - you know, yet another time we had stopped due to the fact that you guys were going so painfully slow and you wouldn't let us pass. But again, no big deal by me. If it were, I would have walked up to your Jeep and let you know.

To reiterate, I am NOT criticizing how you choose to wheel - just that you haven't damaged your coil overs because you haven't been taking on harder lines.

Rellik

THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM but... am I seeing things or do you really just have 2" of up travel on those things? :thinking:

There is 4" of up travel with how they are set up at this moment. As you have said in order to increase that up travel i have to in crease lift height and I dont want to do that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
your seeing things there is at least 2.25" of up travel :)

LOL - I guess that would explain why you guys were going so slow. Of course, it would have been nice if you guys had made some effort to pull of the trail when you stopped a couple of times too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There is 4" of up travel with how they are set up at this moment. As you have said in order to increase that up travel i have to in crease lift height and I dont want to do that.

BS. There is no way I'm looking at 4" of up travel.