Building the Mistress.

HiCenterd

How are you liking the Roam front bumper? Easy install with the winch mounted that way? Does it seem like it'll take a hit or two on some rocks? Thanks for the info!

wibornz

I love the Roam bumper. It was an easy install. Everything fit right. I like the recessed winch. The winch is in there tight, but still had enough room for my big hands. I think the bumper will stand up to abuse. It also has a life time warranty and was disigned and built in the US.

The MIstress got the lift put on the other day. I installed the Rancho 2in sport lift. I used Eddie's install video and the instructions to complete the lift. I upgraded to the 9000 series shocks also. I am getting close to having The Mistress done....if there is such a thing. I am just waiting on the rear bumper/tire carrier to be released from Roam. They have been so swamped with orders for their side armor/steps, Frame mounted and or body mounted that they have not been able to get rear bumpers out. I built a four wheel air up system for the Mistress and I am working on the hoist for the hard top in the garage. When it gets warmer out, I am thinking about having the ceramic coating applied to the Mistress. O and I had the front windows tinted here recently.

Some picks of the recent changes.

My air up and down system. One compressor, airs up all four tires, or airs them all down at the same time. When I got done building it, I realised that I probably could have bought it cheaper than building it after I figured in all my time and running around to find the parts.
photo.php

The a couple shots with the lift on. I flexed in the driveway and overall after having the lift on for a couple days now I can say that I am happy with it. If I went any higher, my wife would have struggled to get in.

53333284_2723467111026913_4850619391315804160_n.jpg

53238276_2723467174360240_7434076957555294208_n.jpg

Then this is a couple shots out in my fields and woods.
53327645_2725877660785858_3150225045507276800_o.jpg

53722174_2725877487452542_7256930043589296128_o.jpg

In a couple weeks, I will be leading about 15 or so Jeeps on a trail run here in Michigan. I have bought some HAM radios and if the weather cooperates, may have a cb installed by then.

HiCenterd

Thanks for the feedback! I'm waiting on the low bull bar option from Roam. I like the simplicity and the price is spot on! They're saying the end of the month. You ended up with a Smitty winch, correct? Did you have to mount the control pack on the top of the bumper or is that how it sits? Wondering about the fit of a ZEON...

I'm intrigued by the air up/down system that you built. Did you mount a compressor in the jeep or is it portable?

The Mistress is looking great!

wibornz

Thanks for the feedback! I'm waiting on the low bull bar option from Roam. I like the simplicity and the price is spot on! They're saying the end of the month. You ended up with a Smitty winch, correct? Did you have to mount the control pack on the top of the bumper or is that how it sits? Wondering about the fit of a ZEON
I'm intrigued by the air up/down system that you built. Did you mount a compressor in the jeep or is it portable?

The Mistress is looking great!

Yes, I have the 12,000 pound Smittybilt x20 winch. My wife was being nice and ordered it for me for my birthday as a surprise. It had very good rating on Amazon, so I kept it. The control pack is mounted on top of the bumper.

I built an air hose that airs up and down all four tires at the same time. When all was said and done, I could have bought the air hose built for about the same price. I may have saved 20 bucks......maybe. It looks good and functions as it should.

53289746_2725055407534750_3881429097208872960_n.jpg

I like that it will balance out the tires to be the same pressure. The compressor is a Viair 400P-RV and is portable. I have ATVs and SxS also so I wanted a compressor that I could take with us in the motorhome if the Jeep stayed home. It is a full kit and has 60 feet of air hose also.

5e5e1ddb-80be-455d-8d76-0bfa54e61c3c_1.7e634ccfcab74b1d99aa3ca114ec5958.jpeg

HiCenterd

Yes, I have the 12,000 pound Smittybilt x20 winch. My wife was being nice and ordered it for me for my birthday as a surprise. It had very good rating on Amazon, so I kept it. The control pack is mounted on top of the bumper.

I built an air hose that airs up and down all four tires at the same time. When all was said and done, I could have bought the air hose built for about the same price. I may have saved 20 bucks......maybe. It looks good and functions as it should.

53289746_2725055407534750_3881429097208872960_n.jpg

I like that it will balance out the tires to be the same pressure. The compressor is a Viair 400P-RV and is portable. I have ATVs and SxS also so I wanted a compressor that I could take with us in the motorhome if the Jeep stayed home. It is a full kit and has 60 feet of air hose also.

5e5e1ddb-80be-455d-8d76-0bfa54e61c3c_1.7e634ccfcab74b1d99aa3ca114ec5958.jpeg
Nice, simple system. I was secretly hoping you had an ingenious mounting system on the JL... Portable makes perfect sense, though. Thanks again!

Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wibornz

I joined the Lansing Area Jeep Club back in December. On Saturday, I organized and lead my first Jeep trail run in Michigan. We did about 45 miles by trail. We stopped for lunch and grilled along the side of the trail. There was 18 Jeeps. There was plenty of water and mud. We had a great time.

FB_IMG_1554644815463.jpg

20190406_134848.jpg

FB_IMG_1554644784059.jpg

The clean up the next day was a chore. I power washed the Mistress, then washed it twice, waxed it, cleaned the inside, armor all the inside, vacuumed, and cleaned the wheels and tires. About five hours to go from this...

20190406_201736.jpg

To this. Also pulled off the freedom tops and removed the doors and put on my tube doors. The rest of the top is coming off today.

20190407_183615.jpg

I put on the Rancho diff skids, front and back and hopefully this week, my spare tire carrier and rear bumper will be in.

wibornz

Pulled the top off, pulled the doors off. Added the tube doors and the off road mirrors. It is finally getting into the 60 degree weather. So the summer dress is on the Mistress. It is not my DD so on the cold days and wet days, that will still be here in Michigan on and off for another month, the Mistress will stay inside.

I like the summer look.
20190408_114016.jpg

20190408_114046.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Pulled the top off, pulled the doors off. Added the tube doors and the off road mirrors. It is finally getting into the 60 degree weather. So the summer dress is on the Mistress. It is not my DD so on the cold days and wet days, that will still be here in Michigan on and off for another month, the Mistress will stay inside.

I like the summer look.

Looks really good. What tube doors are those? They look sharp.

Toycrusher

I'm curious how your Jeep worked with the 37's before the lift? Any rubbing on while on the street? What are the specs on your wheels, particularly how much offset?

Last edited:

wibornz

Looks really good. What tube doors are those? They look sharp.

The doors are from Motor City Aftermarket. They fit tight and there is no rattle or shake going down the road. The great thing is I won them on a Facebook drawing. So that make them even better. Motor City Aftermarket also makes parts for ARMY tanks. Their stuff is nice. I also got the mirrors from them.

JTCO

Meme King
The doors are from Motor City Aftermarket. They fit tight and there is no rattle or shake going down the road. The great thing is I won them on a Facebook drawing. So that make them even better. Motor City Aftermarket also makes parts for ARMY tanks. Their stuff is nice. I also got the mirrors from them.

I like how simple they look. They're not too plain but don't look too chaotic either like other tube doors do. Right in the middle and look good.

wibornz

I'm curious how your Jeep worked with the 37's before the lift? Any rubbing on while on the street? What are the specs on your wheels, particularly how much offset?

They were fine on the street. They would rub a little if I turned into a steep driveway, but normal driving they were fine. I could not off road at all.. Any flexing caused rubbing, but hey I was waiting for the lift to come in and for the weather to not be freezing. No big deal for me as it is not a daily driver.

The wheels are an ATX Slabs with 3.5 of offset. I kinda fucked up. I should have 4.5 of offset. The wheels make the tires stick out of the fenders and they look cool, but everytime there is even a little bit of water on the road, ith throws grim all down the side of the Jeep. When off roading, it throws mud, sand, water, whatever all over the windows, mirrors, hood, windshield, everywhere, but hey its a JEEP.

The wheels make the Jeep two inches wider. Whats two inches......Makes it tight to get it into the garage, but hey I can drive. The biggest problem is I bought an aluminum trailer to put the JLUR on. I plan on towing the Jeep on the trailer behind our motorhome The Jeep is about two inches to wide now to fit between the fenders on the trailer. So I have to take off a fender to load or unload the Jeep. That sucks. The trailer fenders are made to be easily removed, but it is still a step that if I could have avoided if I would have ordered the wheels with 4.5 of offset.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Your Jeep looks Kick-Ass. I love the stance. I too wanted to go with a backspace greater than 3.5", however that was the backspace recommended by EVO for my lift.

Toycrusher

They were fine on the street. They would rub a little if I turned into a steep driveway, but normal driving they were fine. I could not off road at all.. Any flexing caused rubbing, but hey I was waiting for the lift to come in and for the weather to not be freezing. No big deal for me as it is not a daily driver.

The wheels are an ATX Slabs with 3.5 of offset. I kinda fucked up. I should have 4.5 of offset. The wheels make the tires stick out of the fenders and they look cool, but everytime there is even a little bit of water on the road, ith throws grim all down the side of the Jeep. When off roading, it throws mud, sand, water, whatever all over the windows, mirrors, hood, windshield, everywhere, but hey its a JEEP.

The wheels make the Jeep two inches wider. Whats two inches......Makes it tight to get it into the garage, but hey I can drive. The biggest problem is I bought an aluminum trailer to put the JLUR on. I plan on towing the Jeep on the trailer behind our motorhome The Jeep is about two inches to wide now to fit between the fenders on the trailer. So I have to take off a fender to load or unload the Jeep. That sucks. The trailer fenders are made to be easily removed, but it is still a step that if I could have avoided if I would have ordered the wheels with 4.5 of offset.

Thanks for sharing :thumb:

Jeeeep

looks good :thumb:

glad you mentioned the backspace, I was going to use the Machete's off my JK but thinking the backspace may make it wider than I'd want, you just confirmed it