Building the Mistress.

wibornz

Start with a little back story. About three years ago, I stumbled upon a Youtube video series from the JK Experience. Watched the Alaska one four or five times. This then caused me to stumble on to Wayalife videos. My wife Carla started watching the videos with me. Often on Saturday morning, we would watch a couple hours of Jeep videos and Wayalife ones became our favorites. We then started to hatch a plan. The plan was/is to off road from Arizona to Alaska. Basically put a Jeep behind the motorhome, go to to Arizona, then explore each western state until we make it to Alaska. Use the motorhome as a base camp and use the Jeep to explore. Explore an area then move on. When the JL came out, it was just about perfect timing. I was set to retire in September 2018 and planned to order the Jeep just after I retired. My wife retires three years after me so we will have time to pay off the Jeep, complete mods that we want/need to do for our travels. I started reading everything I could on the JLUR. Following Eddie's build of his JLUR, I started buying parts and mods for the Jeep. I figured Eddie was going to wheel way harder than I would so If it took the beating from Eddie, I should work for me.

So early summer, I started buying stuff, five Cooper STT Pro 37 in tires was the first major purchase, then five of ATX Slabs beadlock wheels, soon the TPMS were ordered, then a portable air compressor, a winch, and the normal recovery gear. Impulse bought an air jack, hate it. Soon other stuff started to arrive at the home, tire repair kits, shackles, foot pegs, tire deflators, and various other things that I thought might be nice for the Jeep.

Then I stumble on the need for a Jeep specific tool box/kit for on the trail. I read this huge thread, take notes and start outfitting a tool box. More to come on this. How did I get this old without a torque wrench?

So on September 17th 2018 finally arrives and I retire from 29 years, 6 months and 14 days from working in corrections. Then order a 2019 JLUR. As soon as my wife see the Jeep, she nicknames it the Mistress because, I am spending more time and money on the Jeep then her. Hence the name the Mistress. She will carry us into adventure.

We picked up the Mistress two days ago.

20181121_165523.jpg

It currently has 94 miles on it and my bud, Bill and I started the build. The front bumper was the first thing to come off.
20181123_111440.jpg

Then with the new bumper and winch was added.

20181123_185300.jpg

With the new from bumper and winch on we set about putting the tires and wheels on. The factory lug nuts would not work with the ATX Slabs so the search was on. Found the correct lug nuts at Discount Tire. Black Friday and Discount tire was a fucking Zoo.

20181123_185405.jpg

We finished after dark. So not the best photos, but hey it was about doing Jeep stuff today with a long time friend. The last thing I did was add a decal to the passenger side dash. Yes it is a little off. It is done on purpose. In the prison system, we say the only way you can do this job long term is to be a little off. So it is a subtle reminder that we are a little off.

On Saturday, Bill and I will be adding a set of the Roam side rails putting on the front skid plate. Next week or so the lift should be in and then in December the Roam rear bumper and tire carrier should be in. Exciting times around here. I figure the Tazer JL mini will be here also in a coupe days. After the lift is in, then we hit some of the Michigan trails for a test run.

We are planning our first trip out west with the JLUR to Colorado to do a week of wheeling around the end of June into July.

JTCO

Meme King
Awesome story. Crazy that you did all of that in 2 days.

BTW, mid July may be better for Colorado. Lots of trails can still be closed in early July due to snow. And supposedly we're getting a lot this year.

13_gecko_rubi

Great back story. Next time we hit rocks n valley's come test it out. And avoid Bundy Hill. That mud never comes out. It's like concrete and lasts forever!

Sent via....

aust249

Great build thread post with some back story. Congrats on retirement and the new Mistress. I’m subscribed to follow along the journey. Cheers!!

wibornz

Great back story. Next time we hit rocks n valley's come test it out. And avoid Bundy Hill. That mud never comes out. It's like concrete and lasts forever!

Sent via....

I have been to Bundy Hill many times with the atv, sxs and our old TJ. This Jeep will not go to Bundy Hill. You are correct the mud is like concrete. I would love to check out Rock's n Valley. I have drove past it many times heading North. We usually run the sxs around the Leota, Houghton Lake and St. Helen area.

Side bar, I forgot to add the dash decal.

20181123_185527.jpg

wibornz

So, yesterday, I froze my ass off and installed the Roam side armor steps.

20181128_103621.jpg

Yesterday afternoon the Tazer Mini came in and so after breakfast, I installed it, changed the tire size to 37 and changed the TPMS threshold to 20 pounds. Then it was off to driving through the my fields behind the house for a little run. I GPS checked the speedo and the Tazer was dead on for the correct speed.

20181129_140448.jpg

wibornz

I like the side step. they do not hang down. They look and feel very stout. It is cold as heck so I did not wire the lights in the step. That will be done in the spring when it is not freezing. I love the front bumper, but wish the there was a place for the factory LED fog light. I guess that if you want a shorty bumper with the winch between the frame rails, something has to give.

I will order the slim bumper. I think they will be available in mid December.

I really like the Tazer mini. It was super easy to install and set up.

Tdsullivan7

I like the side step. they do not hang down. They look and feel very stout. It is cold as heck so I did not wire the lights in the step. That will be done in the spring when it is not freezing. I love the front bumper, but wish the there was a place for the factory LED fog light. I guess that if you want a shorty bumper with the winch between the frame rails, something has to give.

I will order the slim bumper. I think they will be available in mid December.

I really like the Tazer mini. It was super easy to install and set up.

Thanks for the input Wibornz, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

dixonk

I just ordered the Mopar Performance Rock Sliders since LOD is 3 weeks out at least and my short wife is having a hard time getting in the Jeep. I love the way those ROAM rock steps look. Sent out an email to Anthony and waiting on a response.

How long did you have to wait for them when you ordered?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wibornz

So the snow melted away today and it was overcast, but it did warm up to 47 degrees. Put a heat lamp on the hood and added a 1941 decal to the hood.

20181202_160506_001.jpg

20181202_160438.jpg

20181202_160452 (1).jpg

wibornz

There should be some movement on my build soon. The back ordered Rancho lift did come in while I was traveling in December. Now I am waiting on my bud to get back from snowmobiling in WY to put it on. His heated garage and hoist will be a big help. Plus he will be a big help. He mods diesel trucks and has put on hundreds if not thousands of lifts over the years so he has every possible tool and trick to make it go easy.

Did get the JLUR out for a trip up north with the wife and the dog. We went up to the high banks of the Muskegon River just east of Leota Mi. It was cold, but we build a fire, cooked some brats and chilled by the river for a couple hours.

49348964_226413781600798_8236226601902145536_n (1).jpg

20181230_132423.jpg

20181230_131922.jpg

20181230_131527.jpg