Learning about the JL with "Big Bird"

13_gecko_rubi

So this will be my official build thread. First off, I am not naming my wife's JL Big Bird. That's what my friends call it so I think it's funny.

My goal with the JL is to build it slowly in steps just to see what each modification does, how it performs, etc. I like being able to give advice actually knowing what I'm talking about.

So anyway here is how the Jeep started this morning. I have already swapped out the Jeep badges (wife hates Chrome), swapped in LED tail lamps and added a Tazer. Otherwise it's just a basic Sport S

20181121_112900.jpeg

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

Today's task was put on my new fenders and see if 35s fit without lifting it at all.

Surprise surprise it works fine. I bet it would rub good on trail but there are more mods coming before it sees a trail.

20181121_151025.jpeg20181121_151203.jpeg20181121_160929.jpeg20181121_164454.jpeg20181121_165554.jpeg

Sent via....

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Next up is a mild lift, some Rancho adjustable shocks and Geo brackets, new front bumper, and Rubicon axles. Probably after Christmas that fun begins.

In the spring it will go up one more phase when I put on the 37s

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I for some reason thought I saw you with a set of coilovers or something :crazyeyes:

The JL is already lookin great and all you've done is throw on some bigger tires LOL. Can't wait to see what comes next :yup:

13_gecko_rubi

Awesome! I for some reason thought I saw you with a set of coilovers or something :crazyeyes:

The JL is already lookin great and all you've done is throw on some bigger tires LOL. Can't wait to see what comes next :yup:
Like these? :)

It will get there in spring20181119_202705.jpeg

Sent via....

Supercharged

So lucky to have a wife on board for the build!! My wife doesn't understand why I cant leave vehicles alone. Whether it's my Pontiac G8 or the Jeep. I usually use take off parts or wait for big sales so she doesn't get too mad at me.

Jeep is looking great already!

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Charlie_18_JL

Rubi rears vs. sport rears?

Where do you see the most gain on the rear fenders? I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Just curious, it’s hard to compare visually on the rears.

Today's task was put on my new fenders and see if 35s fit without lifting it at all.

Surprise surprise it works fine. I bet it would rub good on trail but there are more mods coming before it sees a trail.

View attachment 7065View attachment 7066View attachment 7067View attachment 7068View attachment 7069

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you gave this thread a bump. It's been a while and I've love to see where it's at now :yup:

13_gecko_rubi

Where do you see the most gain on the rear fenders? I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Just curious, it’s hard to compare visually on the rears.
Sorry I'm months late! The rear fenders don't look as much higher visually but they are also 2" higher. If u compare them side by side in person you can see it.

Sent via....