Ghost Death Wobble Lite

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the track bar helps but not the culprit. I changed mine to Core4x4 a few months back. I just had the dealership install my 3rd stabilizer. It worked for 2 days. I’m still leaning towards the drag link as the problem.

Agreed. Watch our most recent JL JOURNAL.

Please post a picture of the drag link. I don't know which part that is.

Thanks.

You can see a pic of it here:

https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.php?1118-WRITE-UP-Basic-DIY-Jeep-JL-Wrangler-FRONT-END-ALIGNMENT

BillArnett

Update...The steering is deteriorating pretty rapidly. I haven't driven it much, but I can now make it shake or wobble consistently under the right conditions. I used to think cold weather made it worse and now that we've had a warm day or two, I think it is the opposite.

It goes to the dealership on Wednesday. I'm recommending they do everything in the Star case for this issue, including loosening and retorquing all bolts, alinging to updated specs, and replacing the track bar. There is also a new part number for the joint that meets the pitman arm on the drag link, so I'm requesting they change that, I may have them replace the tie rod, but I don't think it has any play in it, so maybe not, and......the steering box. How long they'll have it depends on parts availability.

They are giving me a loaner vehicle, which I hope is a Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, or Cherokee. I'm taking a road trip to Texas, so a Renegade or a car just won't do. They usually give me something interesting. I've had a pretty awesome lifted '17 JK a couple of times, a VERY nice Ram pickup, and a Renegade. (Don't laugh. I had a blast tooling around in tht Renegade in the snow. It was a hoot.)

Anyway, my dealership is very good and has said they are going to make sure it is right. I'd love to put a couple aftermarket parts on it, like the track bar, but I'm letting this thing get a fix under warranty before I go in that direction. I don't want to give any reason for warranty denial. The word is that the new drag link tie rod end joint has tighter specs and is stronger, so we will see. I also can't help but think that steering box is playing into it, too, as the early ones are pretty notorious for issues. Obviously they know the track bar has issues, and thus the new part number for it, too.

I'll keep you posted as we work through this. The main thing to me is to get that new drag link and steering box. I am certain I will put a more stout and adjustable track bar on there later.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that things are getting worse for you. Hoping your dealership can find a fix.

I should note that ever since I installed a Rancho track bar, my wobble has pretty much gone away. Unlike the factory track bar or even the Rough Country one we were running which both have bonded rubber bushings, the bushings on the Rancho allows for very little movement and I think that's a big part of what's doing the job. I'm hoping that once I get my new Synergy tie rod and drag link installed, that'll seal the deal.

Sorry to hear that things are getting worse for you. Hoping your dealership can find a fix.

I should note that ever since I installed a Rancho track bar, my wobble has pretty much gone away. Unlike the factory track bar or even the Rough Country one we were running which both have bonded rubber bushings, the bushings on the Rancho allows for very little movement and I think that's a big part of what's doing the job. I'm hoping that once I get my new Synergy tie rod and drag link installed, that'll seal the deal.

I will have a Rancho track bar. That's guaranteed. I'm just doing it after the dealership gets the warranty stuff done and fixes it that way. That's how I'll be sure to get anything else fixed that may be involved without any complications or misunderstandings, or in other words, warranty claims being denied. If that steering box is bad, I want no excuses as to why they won't replace it.

When was your JL made? Mine was late November or early December 2017. There have been a bunch of those early steering boxes replaced. Again, I'm not sure it is the issue, though. I think you've zeroed in on it earlier. I'm going to go give it a real going over this afternoon and I'll let you know what I find.

I'm actually glad it is getting worse. That will make it easier to pinpoint than if it was more subtle. Hell, I'd love it to get so bad that the offending part wobbles in my hand! Lol!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will have a Rancho track bar. That's guaranteed. I'm just doing it after the dealership gets the warranty stuff done and fixes it that way. That's how I'll be sure to get anything else fixed that may be involved without any complications or misunderstandings, or in other words, warranty claims being denied. If that steering box is bad, I want no excuses as to why they won't replace it.

When was your JL made? Mine was late November or early December 2017. There have been a bunch of those early steering boxes replaced. Again, I'm not sure it is the issue, though. I think you've zeroed in on it earlier. I'm going to go give it a real going over this afternoon and I'll let you know what I find.

I'm actually glad it is getting worse. That will make it easier to pinpoint than if it was more subtle. Hell, I'd love it to get so bad that the offending part wobbles in my hand! Lol!

LOL - As crazy as it may sound, I'd be glad too. Like you said, it helps to find what's really wrong when it's always a problem instead of just sometimes.

My JL was ordered as soon as the books opened. Pretty sure it's an early December build.

LOL - As crazy as it may sound, I'd be glad too. Like you said, it helps to find what's really wrong when it's always a problem instead of just sometimes.

My JL was ordered as soon as the books opened. Pretty sure it's an early December build.

Good, then maybe the steering box isn't in the mix. Of course, the first 14k miles or so I felt there were no issues, so maybe that piece of the puzzle is fine.

I got a chance to inspect the front suspension and steering components today. Eddie, I think you were spot on with the joint at the pitman arm and drag link. I feel some play there, for sure, when the steering is moved back and forth. I also see some movement in the track bar. Those are the two pieces I'll be targeting with the dealership, as well as torque checking and new alignment specs.

Rubiman_JL

I got a chance to inspect the front suspension and steering components today. Eddie, I think you were spot on with the joint at the pitman arm and drag link. I feel some play there, for sure, when the steering is moved back and forth. I also see some movement in the track bar. Those are the two pieces I'll be targeting with the dealership, as well as torque checking and new alignment specs.

New specs?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ddays v2

Are these issues year specific and are the new part numbers for the DL & TB furnished on the 19's?
Mine is a '19 and while I've not noticed the "wobble", from time to time I have noticed a sight wandering.

Are these issues year specific and are the new part numbers for the DL & TB furnished on the 19's?
Mine is a '19 and while I've not noticed the "wobble", from time to time I have noticed a sight wandering.

The Star Case refers to JL's built before May 2018. (There is a specific date, but I can't remember the exact one). I don't know how new the new parts and part numbers are, but they appear to me to be more recent. I could be wrong, though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The wandering you're experiencing is normal and more a result of the electric steering than anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had any trouble with the rear track bar? It looks about as flimsy as the the front. I would guess that it won’t hold up well over time either.

It won't effect steering or handling so even if it's flimsy, it won't be something you can really feel on a day to day basis.

ddays v2

The wandering you're experiencing is normal and more a result of the electric steering than anything.

Kinda what I thought and was hoping. It's not a big deal, but is noticable. I'm still kicking around which lift I'm going with & figured that'd be a good time to do the track bar if necessary. I'll probably wait on that one.

The Star Case refers to JL's built before May 2018. (There is a specific date, but I can't remember the exact one). I don't know how new the new parts and part numbers are, but they appear to me to be more recent. I could be wrong, though.

The star case is for all JLs. One of the items to be checked is about a specific TSB that only applies to JL's built before May 2018, not the entire Star case.