New JL baja build

Deeznutsoff

Team,

Looking for some guidance on a build for running desert trails in CA and Az. New to this form and to jeeps.

Would use my 4Runner TRD on trials when needed to be street legal in CA and use the X3 on Az trails.

Now wanting to flat toe around more in CA mostly, just sold the X3 and 4Runner is next.

Want to build a daily driver to run desert trails to keep up with buddies Manx and bajas. They run pretty fast with trailing arms and long travel.

I know I won’t be running at the front of the pack anymore, but can I build a JL that I can drive to work and run whoops on the weekend and stay with in radio distance of the fast buggies.

Thinking 35s or 37s tops.

option 1 - sport JLU with new axles and long travel coil-overs,

Option 2 JLUR with decent spring and shock kit.

Total Budget = 60k

Are the suspension kits out too new to determine a solution yet?

Will rubicon axles handle desert whoops and G outs?

All advice welcome. Glad to be part of the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Agree with Adam. If you want to truely go fast in g outs etc you will need different axles and long travel suspension. You will probably want coilovers and bypasses which I haven't seen any of those kits actually on market yet. I know they are coming. A lot of this depends on just how crazy we are talking, I'm picturing Baja prerunning lol.

You could probably get a Rubicon and put a 5-10k suspension on it and 35s knowing your are going to break the axles if u really push it. I'd say to do it right you are looking at $25k+ in mods. Again this is just me interpretting what your stated purpose is. I know guys that preran baja this year in their JLs and the have 15-20k just in axles on theirs and another 10+ in suspension, wheels, tires, etc.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If that $60k including the cost of the Jeep, I'd have to agree with everyone else - not gonna happen. $60k on top of the cost of your Jeep, you'll get closer but being that not a whole lot is out, a lot of that will have to be custom work and that can get expensive.

Deeznutsoff

Thanks a for the quick responses.

Guessing back to the drawing boards.

I see the LCG kit from evomfg and roam with coil overs for around 10k on a rubicon. Is that not going to even come close? What’s that kit used for? Rock crawling?

Maybe need to rethink this idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks a for the quick responses.

Guessing back to the drawing boards.

I see the LCG kit from evomfg and roam with coil overs for around 10k on a rubicon. Is that not going to even come close? What’s that kit used for? Rock crawling?

Maybe need to rethink this idea.

There's a BIG difference between lifting your Jeep, making it capable off road and making it feels good as a daily driver and making a Jeep into a pre-runner.

Deeznutsoff

Totally agree. I guess the task at hand is trying to get the perfect blend. Pre-runner may be to strong of a label. But puts it on the right track.

With 15 inch of travel in a JL it would be nice to control all aspects of travel.

It’s amazing how much control I got when adjusting high speed, low speed and rebound on the x3. The car went from a teeth rattler to a cloud going over 4 foot whoops at 50 mph.

Can you take a JL and do 30 over 2 foot whoops comfortable?

Can you control rear bucking with shock adjustment?

Can you tighten up the shocks when you get back on the highway? Maybe adjustable sway bars?

Hope this topic is helpful.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you take a JL and do 30 over 2 foot whoops comfortable?

:cheesy: You're kidding, right? Not with anything that's available for the JL today.

Can you control rear bucking with shock adjustment?

Triple bypass shocks maybe but not with anything off the shelf.

Can you tighten up the shocks when you get back on the highway?

Sure, there are shocks that can do this but not ones that can actually take on 2 foot whoops.

Maybe adjustable sway bars?

Adjustable sway bars won't do squat to help soak up big hits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a JL that can do what you're wanting...

Of course, there's no way $10k will get you this.

Deeznutsoff

Here's a JL that can do what you're wanting...

Of course, there's no way $10k will get you this.

That’s crazy. Take that down by 60% and you got it.

Why not use a 2.5 IBS with dual rate on the 15in kit. Valve it right for small chop like shock therapy does. They add a big detachable sway bar to limit body roll on road. Maybe bump stops for big hits.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s crazy. Take that down by 60% and you got it.

Why not use a 2.5 IBS with dual rate on the 15in kit. Valve it right for small chop like shock therapy does. They add a big detachable sway bar to limit body roll on road. Maybe bump stops for big hits.

Not a fan of IBS. Unless you're riding tall, you're always in the bumps and your ride is shit. PSC was running IBS on the JLX and he was hating his ride. Also, a shock that offers 15" of travel doesn't mean squat to me. ACTUAL vertical travel is what I'd want to know. Air bump for big hits are nice but they're no replacement for triple bypass shocks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How about this?

Those were bigger whoops for sure but you'll notice that the JK in question was running EVO DTD with 2.5" Kings. AS IN, coil overs WITH the addition of triple bypass shocks. I'm running this setup on my JK now and can tell you that it'll do what you're wanting but it costs a bit more than $10k.

Deeznutsoff

Those were bigger whoops for sure but you'll notice that the JK in question was running EVO DTD with 2.5" Kings. AS IN, coil overs WITH the addition of triple bypass shocks. I'm running this setup on my JK now and can tell you that it'll do what you're wanting but it costs a bit more than $10k.

“So you say there’s a chance”

Good to know. Need more $$.

Wonder if they will perfect this on the JL to our perform the JK.

Is the DTD street-able?

Deeznutsoff

Also want to say. You guys are very knowledgeable. I did a kit years ago with fab tech on the f250 and waisted a ton of money on a kit that did nothing.

Needed this intel for sure.

This forum is awesome!

Last edited: