Put The Cooper STT Pro's On

Back In Black

Took off my 315/70/17 BFG K02 and installed a new set of 315/70/17 Cooper's. I know, I know, I'm crazy - as I was originally running 37 Cooper STT, but my ride was really compromised and I attributed to those aftermarket wheels/tire combo.

As I just recently figured out, the steering wheel shudder wasn't attributed to my wheels/tires, although larger wheels and tires definitely exacerbated the problem. The issue was resolved with a Teraflex steering stabilizer, and the update (TSB) to whatever controls our steering gear/pump. The write-up had to do something with "restoring vehicle configuration".

None the less - I'm happy to give these 35" (equivalent) Cooper's some miles and trails.

Attachments

• 20181116_165240.jpg
    20181116_165240.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 276

JTCO

Meme King
Took off my 315/70/17 BFG K02 and installed a new set of 315/70/17 Cooper's. I know, I know, I'm crazy - as I was originally running 37 Cooper STT, but my ride was really compromised and I attributed to those aftermarket wheels/tire combo.

As I just recently figured out, the steering wheel shudder wasn't attributed to my wheels/tires, although larger wheels and tires definitely exacerbated the problem. The issue was resolved with a Teraflex steering stabilizer, and the update (TSB) to whatever controls our steering gear/pump. The write-up had to do something with "restoring vehicle configuration".

None the less - I'm happy to give these 35" (equivalent) Cooper's some miles and trails.

I have yet to see a steering stabilizer fix a steering problem but I have seen many cases where it hides the problem because the fluid absorbs the feeling of whatever is wrong with the vehicle. I've been down this road myself. Hopefully the update they did actually fixed the issue. If not, as the steering stabilizer gets weaker, the issue will show up again as the fluid absorption quality will decrease.

Back In Black

I have yet to see a steering stabilizer fix a steering problem but I have seen many cases where it hides the problem because the fluid absorbs the feeling of whatever is wrong with the vehicle. I've been down this road myself. Hopefully the update they did actually fixed the issue. If not, as the steering stabilizer gets weaker, the issue will show up again as the fluid absorption quality will decrease.

I hear ya. My thoughts exactly.
That said, this is actually the repair from Jeep - TSB calls for a new part number on the steering stabilizer (higher pressure, I believe), and an update to the steering gear electronic control???

Now to be fair - this is a shudder, or a harmonic vibration, that is excited at high speed and road impacts. It is by no means death wobble. I noticed it at a few thousand miles and now I have 6,000 miles and the issue became a daily occurrence. The new stabilizer and update corrected it. And to be honest the steering feels better than it did when new - easiest way to explain it is the impacts are dampened now and not translated straight to the steering wheel.

JTCO

Meme King
That said, this is actually the repair from Jeep - TSB calls for a new part number on the steering stabilizer (higher pressure, I believe), and an update to the steering gear electronic control???

Now to be fair - this is a shudder, or a harmonic vibration, that is excited at high speed and road impacts. It is by no means death wobble. I noticed it at a few thousand miles and now I have 6,000 miles and the issue became a daily occurrence. The new stabilizer and update corrected it. And to be honest the steering feels better than it did when new - easiest way to explain it is the impacts are dampened now and not translated straight to the steering wheel.

Not sure. The JL, JK, WJ has used the same geometric setup. I can tell you this, after lifting our WJ, death wobble occurred immediately. It was so scary that my wife wouldn't even drive it. We finally 'fixed' it with a badass 100 dollar secondary steering stabilizer. I was convinced that this was it as I had checked everything else. However, slowly, I could still feel something abnormal in the steering even though full DW didn't occur. As the stabilizer wore out, things got worse. It turned out to be a rusted seized track bar bolt that wouldn't fully torque. After replacing it, I had a boner. The Jeep drove amazing after that, even with the extra stabilizer removed.

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
tires look great. :thumb: I am defiantly missing mine from my old JK and am patiently waiting to do the swap on my JL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Interesting. After smashing my factory stabilizer and to the point where I couldn't steer. I removed it and found that I had the shudder you are describing. Nothing to the point of getting DW but the shudder was there for sure. I inspected EVERYTHING 3x over and tightened every bolt I could but couldn't get rid of the problem. I even swapped out my track bar for a known good one and verified my ball joints were within spec. I even went so far as to install a Rough Country stabilizer and while it helped, it was still there. The only thing that did finally mitigate the shudder was a new OE stabilizer.

Back In Black

Yes defiantly a hip fan. most are trails around here are actually right around the Bob Caygeon area.

Awesome! Me as well - I have seen them probably 15 times over the years. Went to Hamilton to see them on their last tour. So sad that Gordon passed from cancer, it's like a piece of Canada passed along with him.

I need to get up there to cottage country for some off-roading. It's not easy when you're not at all familiar with the area; the good thing is it's not that far from where I live in Michigan.

Back In Black

I really like the white tire lettering! The size looks great on your rig, perfect proportions

Sent from my SM-G950F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks.
I like the white lettering as well.
I have run 37's for years in my JK, and I can easily run them on this rig but for my purposes I don't think I really need too. Not to mention the Jeep seems to run easier with a 35 versus 37. For instance the transmission goes into 8th gear with this tire, while with the 37 it rarely goes into that gear.

Back In Black

Interesting. After smashing my factory stabilizer and to the point where I couldn't steer. I removed it and found that I had the shudder you are describing. Nothing to the point of getting DW but the shudder was there for sure. I inspected EVERYTHING 3x over and tightened every bolt I could but couldn't get rid of the problem. I even swapped out my track bar for a known good one and verified my ball joints were within spec. I even went so far as to install a Rough Country stabilizer and while it helped, it was still there. The only thing that did finally mitigate the shudder was a new OE stabilizer.

I went over that entire front end, nothing was loose. I went as far tightening nearly every nut. Once I installed the Teraflex stabilizer the issue went away. Then 2 days later the TSB correction was released (new stabilizer and reconfigure the steering gear). So the stabilizer absolutely plays a significant part in this issue. I guess the things us old JK, and previous generation of Wranglers, don't quite apply to the new JL - the stabilizer is important.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I went over that entire front end, nothing was loose. I went as far tightening nearly every nut. Once I installed the Teraflex stabilizer the issue went away. Then 2 days later the TSB correction was released (new stabilizer and reconfigure the steering gear). So the stabilizer absolutely plays a significant part in this issue. I guess the things us old JK, and previous generation of Wranglers, don't quite apply to the new JL - the stabilizer is important.

Lol believe what you want. The steering is almost exactly the same as the JK.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It really shouldn't but I won't deny that it does seem to make a difference on my JL. Would you happen to hat the TSB number in question?

Lol believe what you want. The steering is almost exactly the same as the JK.

Pretty much the same but there are a few differences. For one, the electric steering is different and there had been a TSB issued for it a while back. I haven't done it being that I didn't think I had an issue but maybe I do. The other is the components themselves like the track bar and tie-rod. While the new track bar "looks" beefy, it's actually really light when compared to an old JK track bar and replacing mine seemed to help a bit.

Back In Black

It really shouldn't but I won't deny that it does seem to make a difference on my JL. Would you happen to hat the TSB number in question?

Pretty much the same but there are a few differences. For one, the electric steering is different and there had been a TSB issued for it a while back. I haven't done it being that I didn't think I had an issue but maybe I do. The other is the components themselves like the track bar and tie-rod. While the new track bar "looks" beefy, it's actually really light when compared to an old JK track bar and replacing mine seemed to help a bit.

Here you go on the TSB.
Jeep TSB.JPG

Back In Black

Thank you. I see that it pretty much just got issued. Are you saying that the case number is the TSB? Doesn't look like other TSB numbers I've seen.

Eddie - Yes this isn't the TSB, I believe this to be a publication.
Sorry I'm not aware of the actual TSB #.
I can tell you that based on the date code of the stabilizer, it will be replaced to the most recent one.
The other update on the electronic steering gear seemed to be related - the dealer did this as well.

I know this isn't exactly beneficial for the forum folks (not having the TSB#), but being in the know as to the corrections puts them in a much better spot towards getting to the solution with the dealer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie - Yes this isn't the TSB, I believe this to be a publication.
Sorry I'm not aware of the actual TSB #.
I can tell you that based on the date code of the stabilizer, it will be replaced to the most recent one.
The other update on the electronic steering gear seemed to be related - the dealer did this as well.

I know this isn't exactly beneficial for the forum folks (not having the TSB#), but being in the know as to the corrections puts them in a much better spot towards getting to the solution with the dealer.

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I can't say that I'm too happy about a steering stabilizer being needed to keep the shudder at bay. So long as the steering/suspension components are in good shape, installed to the proper torque and everything is dialed - there really should be no need for one. That being said, I will give mine a look to see what number is on it.

WiscoHR

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I can't say that I'm too happy about a steering stabilizer being needed to keep the shudder at bay. So long as the steering/suspension components are in good shape, installed to the proper torque and everything is dialed - there really should be no need for one. That being said, I will give mine a look to see what number is on it.

I agree sounds like they are just putting a bigger band aid on until they can figure out how to fix the real problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app