want to re-gear my sport

Mr. Jeep

i would like to re-gear my sport, i am thinking 4:56
i am running 35's dana 30/35 love to up grade up axles but not in my cards.
oh its a Auto tranny ..
Detroit tru track in front and a Detroit in rear, same set up in my past last 3 jeeps. but i dana 44's in those jeeps.

JTCO

Meme King
Detroit tru track in front and a Detroit in rear, same set up in my past last 3 jeeps. but i dana 44's in those jeeps.

The Tru Track is a limited slip carrier correct? If that's a case, shouldn't be an issue on the front dana 30. If it's a locker, that could present a different story, I wouldn't suggest locking the 30 with 35s.

Mr. Jeep

The Tru Track is a limited slip carrier correct? If that's a case, shouldn't be an issue on the front dana 30. If it's a locker, that could present a different story, I wouldn't suggest locking the 30 with 35s.

ya is a heavy duty limited slip,, i ran one in a 30 in my cj-7 never had a problem.
i am just seeing if anyone else did a gear & locker upgrade in the sport ?

darrenroos

ya is a heavy duty limited slip,, i ran one in a 30 in my cj-7 never had a problem.
i am just seeing if anyone else did a gear & locker upgrade in the sport ?

I did a gear and locker upgrade on my sport JK when I went to 35s but with the 8 speed of the JL, I would run your current gear ratio as-is to see how it rides before investing the $ to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

rwperez

i would like to re-gear my sport, i am thinking 4:56
i am running 35's dana 30/35 love to up grade up axles but not in my cards.
oh its a Auto tranny ..

Are you considering a Detroit Elocker or auto locker for the rear? I read that auto lockers are problematic with the automatic transmissions.

Mr. Jeep

this locker for the rear. Eaton 162C56A Detroit Locker 27 Spline Differential for Dana 35

this locker for the front Detroit Locker 912A585 Trutrac Differential with 27 Spline for Dana 30

13_gecko_rubi

this locker for the rear. Eaton 162C56A Detroit Locker 27 Spline Differential for Dana 35

this locker for the front Detroit Locker 912A585 Trutrac Differential with 27 Spline for Dana 30
The JL DOES NOT have a Dana 35 in the rear. That carrier will not work. Also make sure that whatever one you get for front has verified fitment on a JL. It's not just a normal "Dana 30". It uses same carrier type as JK but not 100% will fit. The ring gears are different.

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

Are you considering a Detroit Elocker or auto locker for the rear? I read that auto lockers are problematic with the automatic transmissions.

That was an issue with the nag1/wa580 transmission and the way the sensors work and calculations are done since there is no output speed sensor on the a580 trans.

The JL has one and this shouldn't be an issue. Don't know of anyone who has tried it yet as to my knowledge there is no available rear auto locker for the JL for either rear end yet. The only locker I know close is ARB.

Sent via....

Mr. Jeep

The JL DOES NOT have a Dana 35 in the rear. That carrier will not work. Also make sure that whatever one you get for front has verified fitment on a JL. It's not just a normal "Dana 30". It uses same carrier type as JK but not 100% will fit. The ring gears are different.

Sent via....
if its not a 35 then what is it,,,,,,,,,, ? from what i read its a 3 gen 35 ...

my sport ..... M186 = DANA 30 FRONT
M200 = DANA 35 REAR

M220 = DANA 44

13_gecko_rubi

if its not a 35 then what is it,,,,,,,,,, ? from what i read its a 3 gen 35 ...

my sport ..... M186 = DANA 30 FRONT
M200 = DANA 35 REAR

M220 = DANA 44
It isn't a Dana 35. What you have in your Jeep are Dana Advantek M186 and M200 axles. You should be looking for specific JL carriers.

Sent via....

Mr. Jeep

right on..

so trying to save money , what locker would you install if you had M186 & M200 AXLES..
i am re gearing so i want to do it at same time. 4.56 this jeep is not my daily .

13_gecko_rubi

right on..

so trying to save money , what locker would you install if you had M186 & M200 AXLES..
i am re gearing so i want to do it at same time. 4.56 this jeep is not my daily .
If it's not your daily I'd think about ling term plans. Do you one day plan to replace them? If so and it's more a toy maybe do the torq auto locker they just released for M186. Only $300. Rear I haven't seen anything available yet for the M200. I know arb is coming very soon.

Sent via....