WTF - Washed the Paint Off the JL Wrangler Grill

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WTF!! I finally got a chance to wash our JL Wrangler after getting back from the 2018 JL-Experience and SEMA before that and somehow, my pressure washer washed a piece of paint right off the grill. Check it out...

20181115124529-90eaf343-me.jpg

I should note, I have been using my Subaru pressure washer for years to wash all my Jeeps and of the 3 tips that came with it, I always use the one with the least amount of pressure. It's been prefect for cleaning up bugs and mud and I've never seen anything like this happen before. Needless to say, be careful when washing your JL Wrangler as you literally can wash the paint right off of it. :rolleyes2:

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
That sucks, maybe you had a small stone chip, then when washing it started to flake a little more, regardless THAT SUCKS.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks, maybe you had a small stone chip, then when washing it started to flake a little more, regardless THAT SUCKS.

More than likely, that's probably what happened but I can honestly say, it isn't something I've ever seen happen before on any of my other Jeeps. My JK grills are beat to all hell and they've never had this problem.

JTCO

Meme King
That really sucks. We had an old Honda that had been repainted before we bought it, same thing happened. I'm guessing poor prep work or primer.

JP223/3USA

Damn!!! That shouldn’t ever happen. I’ve seen that happen to older not newer vehicles. I’m going to say they didn’t prep the paint surface properly. Ive had my fair share of issues with my JL paint job. The dealership had to repaint my grill, both front fenders, hood and inside my tailgate. All from the paint yellowing , having a thin coat where I could almost see to the metal and having cracks. I’m going to say quality control was drunk when my Jeep was inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

The internets reports an issue with the white grilles, some with yellowing paint, some with weak paint that's easy to chip, etc. Hopefully a repaint will do a better job of being stronger than factory.

drhcobra

Primer still there? I have seen this on a couple newer chevy trucks that spend a lot of time on gravel. Almost like the top coat is not adhered to the primer coat. This was more on the rocker/fender areas.

Shadowfire

Have you ever run your hand along the top door pillar? Kinda like just putting your hand up there with the window down? Not like fondling but maybe just like that. Anyway how smooth is it? On both of my JLs there are painted weld slag pieces I know someday that will rust and flake off. Now if the prep work for the body wasn’t done maybe the plastic wasn’t either

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, for better or for worse, I'm not seeing any yellowing. In fact, my grill has been holding up well and looking good up until now. I applied some touch up paint and it does look "better". Just kinda wish it were caused from wheeling and not a wash. :rolleyes2:

Trevelin

I just realized a few days ago that mine is turning yellow. It’s also doing it a little bit on the front drivers side fender. Really frustrating, I love the Jeep so much. I’m hoping the dealer takes care of it. I just purchased it in September.