8.4” radio won’t turn off

WWRuby_Svi

So my radio started acting funny on the way home tonight. When I started the Jeep and put it in reverse my back up camera never came on. I backed out of the drive way and put it in park and turned the Jeep off and back on. Camera still won’t turn on in reverse and it won’t turn on when I push the button in the apps page. So I drive home thinking Maybe it will fix itself. However now that I’m driving and it’s dark out I realize the screen brightness is maxed out and won’t dim with the rest of the dash. I drive home like this and park the Jeep and turn it off and the radio turns off but the back light is still turned on high.

Any thoughts on this? Any way to reset the radio properly?

I did just pick it up from the dealership for my axle issue so hopefully they didn’t mess with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rhinebeck01

So my radio started acting funny on the way home tonight. When I started the Jeep and put it in reverse my back up camera never came on. I backed out of the drive way and put it in park and turned the Jeep off and back on. Camera still won’t turn on in reverse and it won’t turn on when I push the button in the apps page. So I drive home thinking Maybe it will fix itself. However now that I’m driving and it’s dark out I realize the screen brightness is maxed out and won’t dim with the rest of the dash. I drive home like this and park the Jeep and turn it off and the radio turns off but the back light is still turned on high.

Any thoughts on this? Any way to reset the radio properly?

I did just pick it up from the dealership for my axle issue so hopefully they didn’t mess with anything.

You can kill all 12v power to your JL and then reconnect the power. That will cause the 8.4 radio to reboot. Easier thing to do is to pull Fuse F11. Fuse F11 controls power to the UConnect's Radio, USB and auxiliary ports.

Spack

The reset for the Uconnect is to push and hold the browse and power button together for about 5 seconds. Not sure if you want or need a whole reset, but it’s a shot if pulled power doesn’t work.

Tellico

Mine acted up in similar fashion one time when I was in the mountains, on a trail in the middle of nowhere. I disconnected the negative terminal for the main battery, but that did not cut power to the head unit since the auxiliary battery was still connected. If you open up the fuse box and disconnect the terminal for the aux battery, that should cut power to it and do the trick once you reconnect both terminals. See the pic below for the aux battery post under the fuse box. Loosen that screw after you disconnect the main battery negative.

IMG_5395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWRuby_Svi

I pulled F11 and that didn’t work for me. When F11 was pulled the backlight was still on.

I tried the menu and power button at the same time and that did nothing at all.

I’ve tried the 30 second green phone and voice assist button, then turn off, open door, etc and that didn’t work.

I will try pulling power cables.

Rhinebeck01

To kill 12v power coming from the JL/JLU's Main and ESS batteries you can disconnect as per the picture below. One nut is a 10mm nut and the other two, are 13mm nuts.

JLpower.jpg

Last edited:

WWRuby_Svi

To kill 12v power coming from the JL/JLU's Main and ESS batteries you can disconnect as per the picture below. One nut is a 10mm nut and the other two, are 13mm nuts.

View attachment 6930

I disconnect the 3 negative cables shown. This turned the radio back light off. So I reconnected the cables and started the Jeep up, all the Uconnect settings were messed up and there wasn’t any seat heater controls, satellite radio, etc. so I turned it off and put my tools away. I went back to the Jeep to take a pic of the screen and turned it on again and this time the system was working as it should.

Thanks for the help everyone and thank you Rhinebeck for sharing that photo!

Rhinebeck01

Op, glad to hear you got things going.. :cool:

The 8.4 radio is known to hiccup / glitch at times. I have had mine hiccup a time or two over the last 6+ months of owning my JL. I use my Tazer JL to reboot the radio, so I don't have to resort to that 12v power kill approach.