Rear Axle Leaking, any thoughts on issue?

WWRuby_Svi

I’ve got an 18’ JLUR with 10k miles so I was changing my oil and rotating tires today and noticed the rear passenger wheel had some oil looking spots on it. So while the tire was off I crawled under the Jeep to check out what was going on and saw that there is a leak coming from somewhere. It didn’t look like the caliper was leaking but it didn’t feel thick like diff oil either.

I’m wondering if it this is leaking from the hub seal?
Any thoughts on this? I didn’t have time today to pull the caliper and rotor off to dig further into this.

IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WWRuby_Svi

I can see it as a liability excuse and since the axle isn’t their product, they buy from Dana. It’s easier to just swap the whole thing and let the Jeep and Dana quality departments figure it out instead of dealers getting screwed for excessive work. I see a lot of things like this in my job so I can see where it would be easy to put it on Dana.

JTCO

Meme King
Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the axle seal was leaking. They then preceded to tell me that it’s policy to not rebuild axles under warranty so they are replacing the entire axle.

I can see it as a liability excuse and since the axle isn’t their product, they buy from Dana. It’s easier to just swap the whole thing and let the Jeep and Dana quality departments figure it out instead of dealers getting screwed for excessive work. I see a lot of things like this in my job so I can see where it would be easy to put it on Dana.

Wow. That surprises me for a seal leak. I could see that for a gear noise maybe, but a seal leak? Seems like a waste of money for parts. At least they took care of you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Took it to the dealer and they confirmed the axle seal was leaking. They then preceded to tell me that it’s policy to not rebuild axles under warranty so they are replacing the entire axle.

WTF, really? Replacing the entire axle?? :eek: :crazyeyes:

JP223/3USA

A long time ago I worked for a company who’s name rhymed with Scmapple. When new products came out & engineering caught wind of a few similar issues they’d call the repair a “capture”. They want to see it from the wild. After a few products with the same issue were captured, then it’d go back to repair.

WWRuby_Svi

It is crazy to think that what is likely a $5 part will cost Dana a new axle. However, I could see requests to get the axle back without touching in case Dana wants to see the issue with the new design, even if it’s a assembly issue. I’m an engineer and we are always pushing quality to get parts back from our OEMs. Either way, I’m scheduled for next Monday to get it fixed, I’ll post up what happens.

captainrandal

When the locker sensor failed in mine, they replaced the entire axle assembly.
I guess it makes sense on a new item from another manufacturer to swap and send it back.

Randy

JeepJL

WTF, really? Replacing the entire axle?? :eek: :crazyeyes:

We’ve had a few of these come through our dealership exact same issue, I did one last week and asked our parts guy why we were replacing the entire axle. He said that this was the only way the parts were available at this time. He said the individual parts were on backorder indefinitely. I’m with you, seems a bit crazy.