Steering ?’s

WiscoHR

In the last week I’ve had some weird things going on and just wondering if anyone else has noticed them.

First thing and probably the worst. There is a bump not far from my house that when I hit first thing in the morning the steering wheel will shutter back and forth about 2-3 inches a couple of times. Now the weird part about it is, it only seems to happen right after I start driving the Jeep. If I drive around for a while then hit the bump nothing. My first thought was something was loose but haven’t found anything yet.

The other issue I’ve found is when stopped and on the brakes I can only turn the steering wheel about an 1/8 turn either direction. Thinking back this had happened for a while but just chalked it up to the 37s and the 3.5bs beadlocks. But since the other issue arose I started paying more attention. Now here’s what throws me off on this one. If the Jeep is in park and I’m off the brake I can spin the wheel around either direction and it turns the 37s no problem lock to lock. Press the brakes and it feels like the power steering is gone.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this or am I losing my mind?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Stingrey

Do Jeep Wranglers have hydro boosted braking system? I know very little about it other than the the power steering assists the braking in someway.
Have you checked the power steering and checked brake fluid levels?

Four Flusher

I had a similar experience. I had my air pressure at around 23-24 lbs and the hit a bump at about 60mph and got bad steering wheel shimmy, like a mini DW. Aired up to 30Lb and no more shake. Funny, I've run low air on the street without issue on previous jeeps without issue. I'm due for a Balance and rotate, so maybe one of my tires is out of balance. I may check the alignment since I never had it checked after lift.

Jesse_01

I’m going to go through every nut in the front end tonight and see if I missed anything. Probably get the tires rebalanced too.

I believe there is a recall or at least eventually there will be for the steering issue. The steering box is aluminum & the box & internals don't heat up at the same rate first thing. Ours does it when its cold out, it will be stiff then loosen up when your trying to turn. Once it warms up, this goes away.

I tried turning the electric steering assist off, & it does the same thing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

There is some discussion in here about it. Maybe similar to your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicorumiz

In the last week I’ve had some weird things going on and just wondering if anyone else has noticed them.

First thing and probably the worst. There is a bump not far from my house that when I hit first thing in the morning the steering wheel will shutter back and forth about 2-3 inches a couple of times. Now the weird part about it is, it only seems to happen right after I start driving the Jeep. If I drive around for a while then hit the bump nothing. My first thought was something was loose but haven’t found anything yet.

The other issue I’ve found is when stopped and on the brakes I can only turn the steering wheel about an 1/8 turn either direction. Thinking back this had happened for a while but just chalked it up to the 37s and the 3.5bs beadlocks. But since the other issue arose I started paying more attention. Now here’s what throws me off on this one. If the Jeep is in park and I’m off the brake I can spin the wheel around either direction and it turns the 37s no problem lock to lock. Press the brakes and it feels like the power steering is gone.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this or am I losing my mind?

I experience the same thing and I believe is tires pressure (steering wheels shaking).

Feels like below 30psi does it.
So cold morning I am below and is the only time is doing it. Does not matter if I run the Jeep for one hr or not if it stays below 30.

I am running 37's.