Best hard top hoist system?

1UP

Hey folks, what is the best setup for Hard too self removal? Thanks in advance!

2018 JLUR Bright White
2” Mopar lift

Rypstyx

Here is what I bought. It works but the back pulley raises faster and it ends up uneven at the top. It’s not a problem because I mounted the eyelet lags in the ceiling and use two ratchet straps to level and take the strain off or the sides. I think it stores better and safer that way anyway. The hoist is key though to do it by myself. I just hook the drill up and it’s off. I can easily take the top off by myself in 10 min or less.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 112
  • Image1540954663.801497.jpg
    Image1540954663.801497.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 111

aug0211

Here is what I bought. It works but the back pulley raises faster and it ends up uneven at the top. It’s not a problem because I mounted the eyelet lags in the ceiling and use two ratchet straps to level and take the strain off or the sides. I think it stores better and safer that way anyway. The hoist is key though to do it by myself. I just hook the drill up and it’s off. I can easily take the top off by myself in 10 min or less.

I’ve got the same hoist......... in a box in my garage, lol. Had it for months but haven’t put it in yet. I’m promising myself I’ll do it before Spring. How was the install for you? My garage has some ducts running through the ceiling that are going to pose a real challenge.

Some people use the Racor setup with some homemade stuff to get it done - I started with that but wound up just using the Racor for what it’s made to do (store stuff), and bought the Lange hoist.

Racor PHL-1R Pro HeavyLift 4-by-4-Foot Cable-Lifted Storage Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009I8AO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gZy2BbJEECS4R

OconRecon

Hmmmm. This looks interesting, and super economical - like $25-27 level of economical. I think it’d take two, so fifty bucks.

One person recommends some more hearty screw choices (might zip-tie the brackets to my rafters, as another quick thought), but otherwise, this might be worth the price just to check it out.

s-l640.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/2004-Cycle-P..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=GNHJ9XRFPQSZBNDJFG3Z

Some Jeep specific reviews too:

5 stars - Perfect Hoist
By Michael… on August 12, 2018

Used it for jeep wrangler 4dr hard top, it does the job an less expensive .... 5 stars

5 stars - Used to lift more than a bike
By KFitz01 on May 4, 2018

Great product - used it for something a little different. Great help in lifting jeep Wrangler hard top and store for summer

Last edited:

Rypstyx

Hmmmm. This looks interesting, and super economical - like $25-27 level of economical. I think it’d take two, so fifty bucks.

One person recommends some more hearty screw choices (might zip-tie the brackets to my rafters, as another quick thought), but otherwise, this might be worth the price just to check it out.

s-l640.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/2004-Cycle-P..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=GNHJ9XRFPQSZBNDJFG3Z

5 stars - Perfect Hoist

Used it for jeep wrangler 4dr hard top, it does the job an less expensive .... 5 stars

Great product - used it for something a little different. Great help in lifting jeep Wrangler hard top and store for summer

This looks like it would work. Not sure I would trust it to store the top suspended.

Rypstyx

I’ve got the same hoist......... in a box in my garage, lol. Had it for months but haven’t put it in yet. I’m promising myself I’ll do it before Spring. How was the install for you? My garage has some ducts running through the ceiling that are going to pose a real challenge.

Some people use the Racor setup with some homemade stuff to get it done - I started with that but wound up just using the Racor for what it’s made to do (store stuff), and bought the Lange hoist.

Racor PHL-1R Pro HeavyLift 4-by-4-Foot Cable-Lifted Storage Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009I8AO6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gZy2BbJEECS4R

Fairly easy install. Find the rafters and throw some lag bolts in. Getting the cables the right length took the most time. Had to make multiple adjustments to get it right. One drawback is even though the kits says you can close the glass after it’s off you cannot.

RMC2

s-l640.jpg

5 stars - Perfect Hoist

This is just a pair of bicycle hoists. Available all over. I did use it at one point. I now have a custom built electric hoist that slides around. Guess where my pulleys came from? Yep, bicycle hoists.