Knocking sound underneath

Grak

Maybe someone here has an idea. Driving relatively slowly over washboard there was a random bang from the rear.. wasn’t vibration in time with the ruts but a random whack. Maybe several times over 10 seconds. I’m not near washboards to recreate it but it was really odd at the time. Anyone familiar with such a thing?
2 door Rubicon JL with less than 4k mi at the time. Maybe the lack of lift and 315s was part of it?

WiscoHR

Maybe someone here has an idea. Driving relatively slowly over washboard there was a random bang from the rear.. wasn’t vibration in time with the ruts but a random whack. Maybe several times over 10 seconds. I’m not near washboards to recreate it but it was really odd at the time. Anyone familiar with such a thing?
2 door Rubicon JL with less than 4k mi at the time. Maybe the lack of lift and 315s was part of it?

Bumpstops?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King

Any chance something inside the Jeep is loose and rolling around?

Grak

Muffler is snug, as is spare.. bump stops, would they make a hard knock like that? Doesn’t seem to fit since a previous 10 hour off-road journey never produced that sound. These ruts were little, on the main scenic loop of white sands nat’l monument where passenger cars travel. Very strange.

There was a lot of gear in the rear, but couldn’t find what may have made that thumping. I will just try to find some washboard ruts for more research. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Is your JL lifted? Do you have any modifications that you've installed recently?

WiscoHR

Muffler is snug, as is spare.. bump stops, would they make a hard knock like that? Doesn’t seem to fit since a previous 10 hour off-road journey never produced that sound. These ruts were little, on the main scenic loop of white sands nat’l monument where passenger cars travel. Very strange.

There was a lot of gear in the rear, but couldn’t find what may have made that thumping. I will just try to find some washboard ruts for more research. Thanks.

I’m still going to guess bumpstops. I bet stock shocks got hot from the weight of the 315s and you hit the bumpstops a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Grak

No lift, just the bigger tires and new wheels. Was on a lot of washboard again yesterday, Death Valley on way to Racetrack Playa. Four people in the car, all heard it coming from left rear underside. Wouldn’t all bumpstops bang, not just one? Almost like something’s loose.
No idea what it could be.

Last edited:

Grak

Been looking for a video of bump stops being hit, wondering if the sound is similar. Just looked under the Jeep again and nothing obvious stands out.

Grak

Checked, all solid. I have a theory of what it may be. There’s flexible plastic between the bumper and wheel well that moves up and down. I felt a very slight rubbed texture on the edge where maybe the tire clipped it and sent it upward enough to go whack. It’s just plastic trim but may have made the knock at speed on washboard... other than that, I’ve got nothin, and am going to shrug it off and just hope it doesn’t happen again after lift/new rear bumper etc.

Thanks all.

Last edited: