Metal cloak

Rgk401

I can’t speak about metal cloak but please for the love of Jeeps stay the fuck away from rough country!! Worst mistake Iv ever made was putting a 2.5’ rough country liftkit on my Jk.!! I can’t speak for metal cloak.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

offcamber

LOL - Glad to hear you could swear what I would think is impossible. Apparently, you know me better than me. That being said, just because you have friends with buggies that are “horrible drivers” and got showed up by some guy in a JL, doesn’t mean whatever line they were taking was a “buggy” line. Of course, I’m just a mall crawler so don’t mind me.

I wasn't trying to set limits on your own personal experiences. It was just an expression. I've been wheeling at Barnwell Mountain for almost 20 years. Over the years the trail/obstacle in question has gone from something you would occasionally see someone take a street driveable Jeep on to the eroded series of ledges on a really steep hill of loose dirt and rock that it is today. These days you rarely see anything that wasn't brought in on a trailer and on at least 40's attempt it. Mainly because an error doesn't result in just a flop onto your side but rather a tumble a hundred yards or so to the bottom of the hill as your Jeeps contents become a yard sale. So by "buggy" line I meant a hill that you typically only see buggies or tube chassis rigs playing on. Seeing a JL do it was impressive as most of the time you see non-trailer queens on Dewoody, they end up going maybe half way up and then carefully backing down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKyo4_zMQKA

offcamber

What are you trying to prove? I’m assuming you are either good friends with them or are them so just tell us your agenda up front and we will be good.

I don't get it. I'm not trying to prove anything. I saw a comment about the video and happened to be there in person and was offering a perspective. WTF would you assume I'm friends with them? I'm in Texas and they are from Commiefornia or some other sh!thole state.. Hey I was stoked to see a JL do an obstacle that you almost never see anything but a tube buggy on, let alone finish without winching and don't understand why it bothers you that what they did was impressive a vehicle that drove there on it's own power. I've seen more than a couple of Jeeps end up a wreck at the bottom of DeWoody and once even help stabilize a couple for an ambulance ride after their Toy broke itself at the bottom. WTF do you assume people have an agenda? Dude you seem waay too sensitive. Don't worry, chief, no one is trying to to steal your thunder...

Last edited:

offcamber

Some yes, some no. AEV, Currie, and OME make quality parts. However, your tone illustrates my above point. You're getting butthurt because people recommend parts that have been tested time and time again, beaten, designed with superior components, and you take that as pushing some brand over another. I don't own a dynatrac axle...but know enough to understand that is it is the best axle you can buy. I don't own EVO control arms, but know they are far superior to almost all other brands. I don't own an AEV bumper, but know that they have the best fit and finish in the industry. But hey, I guess I'm in the "you people" category.

The reality is that any and and all of these companies have customers that got bad service from them and some of them post on the Internet.

I had an AEV rear bumper on my JK. Installing it was one of the biggest pain in the ass installations I've ever done because the brackets to mount the tire carrier to the frame had the bolt holes drilled wrong. It took way too long to figure this out. It took 3 months for them to replace it and after I finally got the right parts and installed it, the powder coating came off. They have by far the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Oh and when I bought my 2012 JK, I waited on the ProCal that would work with the 3.6L so I could calibrate the speedo. A year later when I regeared, I discovered that it didn't work with the 5 speed auto. I called AEV thinking it just needed to be updated somehow or figuring they would send me a replacement and have me send mine back. Sure but they wanted $100 to swap mine for one that worked. I bought a TrailDash 2 instead. I unmarried my ProCal from my JK following their instructions and was going to sell it to a friend who had a 2011. When he tried to use it, it failed because it apparently was still married to my Jeep. We tried to reset it from my jeep, it honked as though it worked but it refused to work with his Jeep because it still appeared to be married to mine. Called AEV. It's apparently a bug, but for $100 they would swap it out....

I know people that had bad luck with every brand out there. I know other people who swear the same companies make awesome products and give great service. You have to go based on personal experience and experiences of those you know in person because there are a lot of people who will jump to the internet to post about a problem with a product but a lot of them don't bother to post if the company resolves the issue and takes care of them. I had a horrible experience with Teraflex years ago and I'd never run anything they make, but I have a buddy who has a great story about them taking care of him in a really bad situation. I love EVO control arms, but another guy I know will curse your existence if you praise EVO products around him because of a year long ordeal he had with their tire carrier. You have to temper your experience with others. I mean we are jeep owners and if you go by what others say we have the most unreliable vehicles ever built, right?

NFRs2000NYC

The reality is that any and and all of these companies have customers that got bad service from them and some of them post on the Internet.

I had an AEV rear bumper on my JK. Installing it was one of the biggest pain in the ass installations I've ever done because the brackets to mount the tire carrier to the frame had the bolt holes drilled wrong. It took way too long to figure this out. It took 3 months for them to replace it and after I finally got the right parts and installed it, the powder coating came off. They have by far the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Oh and when I bought my 2012 JK, I waited on the ProCal that would work with the 3.6L so I could calibrate the speedo. A year later when I regeared, I discovered that it didn't work with the 5 speed auto. I called AEV thinking it just needed to be updated somehow or figuring they would send me a replacement and have me send mine back. Sure but they wanted $100 to swap mine for one that worked. I bought a TrailDash 2 instead. I unmarried my ProCal from my JK following their instructions and was going to sell it to a friend who had a 2011. When he tried to use it, it failed because it apparently was still married to my Jeep. We tried to reset it from my jeep, it honked as though it worked but it refused to work with his Jeep because it still appeared to be married to mine. Called AEV. It's apparently a bug, but for $100 they would swap it out....

I know people that had bad luck with every brand out there. I know other people who swear the same companies make awesome products and give great service. You have to go based on personal experience and experiences of those you know in person because there are a lot of people who will jump to the internet to post about a problem with a product but a lot of them don't bother to post if the company resolves the issue and takes care of them. I had a horrible experience with Teraflex years ago and I'd never run anything they make, but I have a buddy who has a great story about them taking care of him in a really bad situation. I love EVO control arms, but another guy I know will curse your existence if you praise EVO products around him because of a year long ordeal he had with their tire carrier. You have to temper your experience with others. I mean we are jeep owners and if you go by what others say we have the most unreliable vehicles ever built, right?

I don't discount anything you've said, but you have to take something into consideration....is something a statistical anomaly, or the norm. Do ALL companies have issues? Of course, including Lexus, BMW, EVO, dynatrac, and AEV. When I got my rear corners on my JK, I called AEV and told them that the coating looked ashy and old, eventhough it seemed like it was a new product. They gave me a bunch of BS saying because I applied something over them (I applied vinylex to make them appear blacker) they wouldn't honor any warranty. It soured me on them. I also have their 2.5" lift, and some of the components were straight up inferior, like the sway bar brackets...so I swapped those out for longer links. However, I can still acknowledge that their stamped steel stuff, their tire carrier, etc, are superb products. I am also a nobody that hasn't been in this game for THAT long....but people like Eddie have been through make Jeeps and countless companies, and if you read what he ACTUALLY says, you'll see that he will verbally rape AEV lifts, but also highly praise their other products. Back to the point, with some companies, things like what you and I had are abnormal, while many other companies have a constant issue with customer service, failing parts, etc. There are a ton of jeepers out there with rough country lifts that ride around day in and day out without issues....we're not about to call them quality lifts are we? Not sure if you're a gun guy....but if I asked you what's a REALLY reliable 9mm, your answer will probably be "just get a glock." Why is that? Because it's been proven time and time again. Are there problems with glocks? Of course. YOu get my point. With all the companies out there, you'll notice over time that only a few actually make quality parts, the others just chase the market to make a buck.

offcamber

I don't discount anything you've said, but you have to take something into consideration....is something a statistical anomaly, or the norm. Do ALL companies have issues? Of course, including Lexus, BMW, EVO, dynatrac, and AEV. When I got my rear corners on my JK, I called AEV and told them that the coating looked ashy and old, eventhough it seemed like it was a new product. They gave me a bunch of BS saying because I applied something over them (I applied vinylex to make them appear blacker) they wouldn't honor any warranty. It soured me on them. I also have their 2.5" lift, and some of the components were straight up inferior, like the sway bar brackets...so I swapped those out for longer links. However, I can still acknowledge that their stamped steel stuff, their tire carrier, etc, are superb products. I am also a nobody that hasn't been in this game for THAT long....but people like Eddie have been through make Jeeps and countless companies, and if you read what he ACTUALLY says, you'll see that he will verbally rape AEV lifts, but also highly praise their other products. Back to the point, with some companies, things like what you and I had are abnormal, while many other companies have a constant issue with customer service, failing parts, etc. There are a ton of jeepers out there with rough country lifts that ride around day in and day out without issues....we're not about to call them quality lifts are we? Not sure if you're a gun guy....but if I asked you what's a REALLY reliable 9mm, your answer will probably be "just get a glock." Why is that? Because it's been proven time and time again. Are there problems with glocks? Of course. YOu get my point. With all the companies out there, you'll notice over time that only a few actually make quality parts, the others just chase the market to make a buck.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Except the glock thing. Everyone knows that Hipoint is where it's at...:D