Build and adventure thread of "Big Red"

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Starting to think about lift options, ultimately want to be on a coil over/LA set-up, but don't want to wait the time it'll take to save, to get a little higher. Always loved the evo enforcer with kings on my JK, but not sure I want to spend that money either being ill eventually upgrade.

Certainly tire size will be 37s and will eventually "trim" the fenders. So a 2" may be enough for now, any thoughts on this from your experiences?

Seeing a lot of good feed back on the dynatrac and Rancho 2" so may start with one of those as I'm ok with not having to upgrade driveline yet, or control arms unless
I feel a need.

About a 500$ difference between the 2 but I do believe both are worth what they are priced at.

Curious what you all think?

If you know you're gonna upgrade in the future, I would spend as little as needed to get you riding on 37's now. In other words, I would recommend the Rancho kit and honestly, I think you'll find that it rides surprisingly nice for what it is.

benatc1

If you know you're gonna upgrade in the future, I would spend as little as needed to get you riding on 37's now. In other words, I would recommend the Rancho kit and honestly, I think you'll find that it rides surprisingly nice for what it is.
That's kinda what I was thinking too, ride certainly is important and I was happy with the 2" Rancho on my white JK. However, after reading alot and spending time with Tom and Jim on the NY run I figured it was worth more of a look. Wife will like the idea of spending less now too lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's kinda what I was thinking too, ride certainly is important and I was happy with the 2" Rancho on my white JK. However, after reading alot and spending time with Tom and Jim on the NY run I figured it was worth more of a look. Wife will like the idea of spending less now too lol

If you were gonna stick with 2" long term, I would recommend going with the Dyantrac kit.

JAGS

Build and adventure thread of "Big Red"

Yeah it'll add up fast, might hold off and see other options hit the market. LOD makes awesome stuff but just want to see some more options before I pull the trigger

Reading back through old posts. This is where I’m at right now. There are a few good things out there, but just feel like not enough options.

I’m dying to build up the JL and have a reason to hit some trails. Easy to make excuses when you’re bone stock.

Also saw youre looking at CO/LA. I just have a feeling more is around the corner. My fall back is the EVO enforcer 3.5 with Kings. Which is basically what I have on the JK and has been great.

In the meantime, driving the JL is way better than my JK stock. You enjoying yours?

CalSgt

On another note Eddie, were you generally happy with the LOD riser bracket to clear the bumper with the 37? Anyone else out there using this?

I used the smittybilt version of the tire bracket for the last 6 months and it worked ok, EVO is definitely better but I would definitely consider a spacer if that’s not in the budget.

I’m not using the smitty bracket anymore I’d be willing to let it go for almost nothing. PM me if you’re interested, I’m in Reno all the time.

benatc1

Reading back through old posts. This is where I’m at right now. There are a few good things out there, but just feel like not enough options.

I’m dying to build up the JL and have a reason to hit some trails. Easy to make excuses when you’re bone stock.

Also saw youre looking at CO/LA. I just have a feeling more is around the corner. My fall back is the EVO enforcer 3.5 with Kings. Which is basically what I have on the JK and has been great.

In the meantime, driving the JL is way better than my JK stock. You enjoying yours?
Yea I agree, there isn't much out still. Been wanting a bumper/winch too but haven't found a bumper I really like yet, shoot I'd be happy with just a winch plate for now(plastic bumper). CO/LA will be a bit down the road so I'm sure we will see more there too. Either way lift wise im ok with basic to start. I have a feeling that this summer/ fall we will start to set more stuff from the better companies too... I'm really liking our JL, it's a nice ride man, lots of improvements from JK in the stock form. probably wont do anything for a couple months still, but just getting some ducks in a row.
I used the smittybilt version of the tire bracket for the last 6 months and it worked ok, EVO is definitely better but I would definitely consider a spacer if that’s not in the budget.

I’m not using the smitty bracket anymore I’d be willing to let it go for almost nothing. PM me if you’re interested, I’m in Reno all the time.
Yea, I'm just not sure quite yet what I want to do, evo seems great, alot has to do with what I end up doing with rear bumper too. Jks had just a fascia on it, but more to consider on jl at this point. Only want to buy once lol..I appreciate the offer too, I'll hold for now though as I'm a few months away anyway

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On another note Eddie, were you generally happy with the LOD riser bracket to clear the bumper with the 37? Anyone else out there using this?

Yup, it worked and got the job done. The only down side to it was the fact that with a big heavy spare on the tailgate, we did find it would make some noise on certain terrain. Nothing that was on the level of the tailgate breaking but maybe more like moving or rotating enough to make a sound. Since installing an EVO tire carrier, the sound has gone away.

benatc1

Yup, it worked and got the job done. The only down side to it was the fact that with a big heavy spare on the tailgate, we did find it would make some noise on certain terrain. Nothing that was on the level of the tailgate breaking but maybe more like moving or rotating enough to make a sound. Since installing an EVO tire carrier, the sound has gone away.
Seems like I might be better served to just get the evo carrier. Should fit my needs for a long time

benatc1

Not much but wife keeps complaining about how she wishes she had more light at night on the backup cam, so set these rigid ignite back up lights for now. Just wired then to the aux switch as I didn't want you tap into backup lights just yet. Bumper changes down the road so didn't want to get to crazy. Will see how they do tonight but had these on my black JK and they were awesome. Choose this spot on the bumper because they would have top be way wide on top to clear the tailgate. And there is already bolts right there. 20190324_102130.jpeg20190324_102242.jpeg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Starting to think about lift options, ultimately want to be on a coil over/LA set-up, but don't want to wait the time it'll take to save, to get a little higher. Always loved the evo enforcer with kings on my JK, but not sure I want to spend that money either being ill eventually upgrade.

Certainly tire size will be 37s and will eventually "trim" the fenders. So a 2" may be enough for now, any thoughts on this from your experiences?

Seeing a lot of good feed back on the dynatrac and Rancho 2" so may start with one of those as I'm ok with not having to upgrade driveline yet, or control arms unless
I feel a need.

About a 500$ difference between the 2 but I do believe both are worth what they are priced at.

Curious what you all think?

I can confirm a 2" will be plenty with a fender trim. [emoji23]

benatc1

Actually thank you. But you can definitely go with a small lift and trimmed fenders.

Think im definitely going to start small and the trim, mainly cause I love the light look, and for me itll get rid of the black on my red fenders; but down the road with coilovers if I do the trim I may have to plan for 40s. Better start saving now...ugh, my wife is going to kill me at some point..

NFRs2000NYC

To add to your decision making, Eddie showcased prototypes of rugged ridge slim fender lights in his SEMA videos....rumor is, rugged ridge is going to release a new slim fender LINER with the lights integrated into them, which will allow you to remove the lip piece of the OEM fenders, and replace it with the new unit, giving you more clearance. If you have the patience, I'd sit tight and wait it out.

benatc1

To add to your decision making, Eddie showcased prototypes of rugged ridge slim fender lights in his SEMA videos....rumor is, rugged ridge is going to release a new slim fender LINER with the lights integrated into them, which will allow you to remove the lip piece of the OEM fenders, and replace it with the new unit, giving you more clearance. If you have the patience, I'd sit tight and wait it out.
Oh yea that's where I first feel in love with the look. I'm probably a few months away from anything anyway, so if they can get it to the market I definitely will take a look. It's nice to have multiple options to see what works best.

benatc1

Well first real mods are on the way, going to do the front minimal set up like Eddie has right now and probably be on 37s in the next week or 2, going to run no lift for a bit but in the next month or 2 will be going with the Rancho 2". Here is what is on the way..

Front End:

Warn Zeon 10-s
Warn JL winch plate
EVO D-Ring mounts

Spidertrax 1.75 spacers- keeping factory wheels

Cooper Stt Pro 37x13.5- will get through discount after I get spacers installed.

Got to get a Tazer and I'm thinking the LOD tire riser but was looking at the rock hard 4x4 one too- temporary solution